PDA

View Full Version : Sinar f rail extension!

mob81
17-Aug-2011, 14:33
I assembled my Sinar f and when I try to get focus to my subject I can't, I have to stay way far and the rail (I guess that what's called) is short! You can see it in this picture
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6080/6053175360_91d533173e_z.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/m_o_b81/6053175360/)
Sinar F parts (http://www.flickr.com/photos/m_o_b81/6053175360/) by Mohammed Basamh (http://www.flickr.com/people/m_o_b81/), on Flickr

My nikkor 210mm f5.6 will only focus really far....would 18" rail extension do the job or should I look for longer rail? The bellow seems good enough (if not I'll look for longer bellow)

Regards,
Mohammed

Ari
17-Aug-2011, 14:38
It's not clear how close or far away you are from your subject.
The lens should normally focus at infinity with an extension of about 8-9 inches (~210mm); anything closer requires more extension.

Greg Lockrey
17-Aug-2011, 14:39
How close do you want to focus to? How long is that rail?

Brian K
17-Aug-2011, 14:40
Sinar makes all sorts of rail extensions, 6", 12", 18". There should be a million of them on e-bay. Most likely a 12" will work for most things. You may want to get a 6 as well as you can add that to the 12". If you get an 18" then you are always stuck with too much rail. just make sure you get extensions and not another base rail.

BTW your carpet is making me hallucinate.

mob81
17-Aug-2011, 14:41
It's not clear how close or far away you are from your subject.
The lens should normally focus at infinity with an extension of about 8-9 inches (~210mm); anything closer requires more extension.

Thanks ari,
I thought I needed rail extension....I'm not trying to focus at Infiniti, I'm trying to focus closer (around 1 meter!)

mob81
17-Aug-2011, 14:42
Thanks guys,
Brain thanks for the advice (I found at KEH much cheaper than eBay)

Ari
17-Aug-2011, 14:46
Maybe others can chime in with precise information, but at one meter, you'll need at least 18" of extension, and maybe a little more.
After that, you'll need to adjust your lens-to-subject distance for critical focus.
Start by seeing what you can focus on at full extension by sliding the rail back and forth in front of a stationary object.

Drew Wiley
17-Aug-2011, 16:08
I'd probably look for a 12-inch EXTENSION rail (different than the 12" BASE rail you
already have). That will give you more than enough extension for a 210 lens. Anything more than that and you'll have to add an extra standard with another bellows.

Allen in Montreal
17-Aug-2011, 16:45
I'd probably look for a 12-inch EXTENSION rail (different than the 12" BASE rail you
already have). ......

Mob81,

In case you don't know Sinar parts that well, heed Drew and Brian's words, another base rail will not attach to the rail you have.

Normally, an extension rail has one red end and an open end at the other side.
A base rail has 2 black ends.

The 18 inch never leaves the house, it is just too long for anything but Macro.
A 6 inch is great for general shooting and is smaller in the bag, but a 12 inch extension is the most logical and versatile overall choice if you are going to get only one extension rail.

rdenney
17-Aug-2011, 17:39
I prefer to buy 6" extension rails, so that I can tailor the length precisely. I can throw a 6" rail on, and if I still need more, I can throw another 6" extension on.

I need a 6" extension for a 240 focused at any distance, and for a 210 focused more closely. I need both extensions for the 12" if I want to focus closer than infinity. Two 6" rails are easier to accommodate in my case than one 12" extension.

Rick "strictly personal preference, colored by years of being poked in the chest by 22" Calumet and Cambo rails" Denney

mob81
17-Aug-2011, 18:30
I understood that I needed an extension and not a base rail! And you guys are informative as ever. Thank you. I know now what to look for.

Adamphotoman
18-Aug-2011, 13:23
I just tried my 210 mm with only the base rail. My Sinar Norma has a fairly long focus throw on both the front and rear standards so I was able to focus to less than a meter. The bellows is extended 8.5 inches. You may not have enough focus throw on the Sinar F or/and it is possible to assemble the camera with the front and rear standards reversed. Then your geared focus mechanism would not extend past the end caps but rather towards the middle. You should have enough rail. A 6 inch rail would be a perfect addition to your kit as would a top hat lens board.
It's all fun.
Enjoy

sanchi heuser
18-Aug-2011, 14:04
already have). That will give you more than enough extension for a 210 lens. Anything more than that and you'll have to add an extra standard with another bellows.

Yes,
or alternative a Horseman 4x4 Extra Long Bellows (Horseman#23503),
when weight or packing space is an issue.
It stretches 40-50cm without problems and fits on the Sinar parts.
It's not easy to get a used one.

sanchi heuser
19-Aug-2011, 05:14
Yes,
or alternative a Horseman 4x4 Extra Long Bellows (Horseman#23503),
when weight or packing space is an issue.
It stretches 40-50cm without problems and fits on the Sinar parts.
It's not easy to get a used one.

Sorry, I meant 4x5 not 4x4

Adamphotoman
20-Aug-2011, 17:17
Here is a top hat or lens board extention on Ebay

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/sinar-lensboard-extention-/330601566626?pt=Film_Cameras&hash=item4cf96391a2#ht_500wt_1156

I will PM you in case you miss this.

Robert Jonathan
20-Aug-2011, 19:23
With my Sinar P, I always just grab the 18 inch extension rail, and use that constantly for everything, short lenses and long. But that's just me.

I also have the 12 inch and 6 inch extension rails, that I barely use.

Adamphotoman
21-Aug-2011, 02:28
I don't like having the end of the rail in my chest or bumping my teeth against it.
Rails are cheep now. Actually most LF stuff is a fraction of what it cost when it was new.

So I do own a dozen rails.

4 base / 4-6 inch / 3-12inch / 1-18 inch

My studio rig, my location kit and my 8X10 currently on loan; can all be ready to be used at a drop of a hat.

One thing to keep in mind is that alignment is crucial for the high end fine art repro that I make my living at. Not all the Sinar rails are completely compatible. Yes they all fit together and if they were all made at the same time You may not have a problem. But, my rails are all second hand made over 40 years. As good as Sinar is there are differences...
if one of your standards is slid over to another rail as you change FL's or focus then your camera will not still be aligned. So I make sure that I Zig align my rig after these gross/course movements are made.

Therefore it is wise to use 1-18 inch rail even if you bump into it. Or set your rig up in such a way that if you need to resize or refocus, that the standard remains on the [same] rail that you Zig Aligned with...

This may seem overkill but in my world it is absolutely necessary. With product and landscape it is no where as important to ensure perfect alignment. Hey you are using tilts and swings. But Repro....

Grant

Adamphotoman
21-Aug-2011, 14:34
Sorry about the direct Ebay violation. Just saw it happen on another post.
I will only send it in a PM from now on.