PDA

View Full Version : Case for 8x10 air travel recommendation

Riccis
17-Aug-2011, 12:38
Hello:

I will be traveling internationally for the next couple of months and will be bringing an 8x10 set along with me. Can you guys recommend me a good bag/case/roller for the gear below?

-Deardorff 8x10
-20 holders
-RIES tripod

Thanks!

Scott Walker
17-Aug-2011, 15:04
Hello:

I will be traveling internationally for the next couple of months and will be bringing an 8x10 set along with me. Can you guys recommend me a good bag/case/roller for the gear below?

-Deardorff 8x10
-20 holders
-RIES tripod

Thanks!

Sinar expert case

Frank Petronio
17-Aug-2011, 17:13
Haha the more moderate Sinar case is built like an Anvil case, fiberglassed wood with metal hardware. Just get an Anvil-style case without the Sinar-specific fittings.

Or a Pelican, Lightware, Tenba... probably an oversized attache case style, with the camera secured in a padded wrap and carefully chosen spot.

That many holders will make things very heavy and bulky and you have to look at your workflow - will you shoot out of the case when on location? How will you carry holders around at the shooting site? So either include a carry bag (the reusable cloth grocery bags are decent for $2) or buy a travel case that makes it easier to handle holders and lenses....

Also factor in the 50 lb limit before overage, plus all the nasty surcharges... It may be better to have two cases under 50 lbs for airline check-in.

The tripod? I like the Lightware "Cargo Cases" available in several lengths. Why ding the walls with a harder case?

Riccis
17-Aug-2011, 18:07
That many holders will make things very heavy and bulky and you have to look at your workflow - will you shoot out of the case when on location? How will you carry holders around at the shooting site? So either include a carry bag (the reusable cloth grocery bags are decent for $2) or buy a travel case that makes it easier to handle holders and lenses....

I will have a car once I get there and I am mainly interested on the safest way to carry or check in the camera. The Dorff fits in my roller case but I am worried that TSA will not allow me to bring the back into the cabin (as it is glass). I don't need that many holders and may consider to instead bring a couple and just load the film in the field. In this case, is one of those pup tents the best way to go?

Thanks!

Frank Petronio
17-Aug-2011, 18:26
Well not the Harrison Pup, it is much too small for 8x10. Even the Regular, which is recommended, is tight - the Jumbo is much more comfortable and you can easily load five holders at a time. But you could almost crawl inside ;-p

If I were in your shoes, my carry-on would include the smaller cameras, film boxes, 8x10 lenses, meter, etc.

I would get the largest Lightware attache-style case, I think it is 16x29x9 and wrap the Dorf in some padded cloth (dark cloth, multiple lenswraps, etc.) and reinforce the padding with a layer of bubble wrap and maybe a stiff board larger than the ground glass, all rubber banded and stuff into a sealed (water-tight) plastic bag. Then I would pack loose holders (in Ziploc type plastic bags) and other soft items, even clothes, around the camera.

Likewise I use the Lightware Cargo Case that best fits your Ries, using the extra space for clothing, the Harrison Jumbo Changing Tent, and other personal items.

You can get roller versions of these cases of course, but they can double the empty weights of the cases. The advantage of the simple, roller-less, Nylon and foam Lightware cases is that if you pack them properly, they are very good protection and they can come in under the 50 lb., avoiding the surcharges for heavier bags.

Definitely invest in a luggage scale!

Alternatively, you can use a heavier Pelican-style plastic case or the Plywood Anvil-type cases, but there is no way to not go over 50 lbs! While those cases can ultimately be more robust, carrying one around, into a hotel or on location, can be brutal and they often damage walls, finishes, etc.

BradS
17-Aug-2011, 18:56
I have a Pelican 1600. It houses the 8x10 and a 300mm lens. Frank's assessment of Pelican is pretty accurate - it is a heavy brute...but there is never any doubt about the safety of the contents.

eddie
18-Aug-2011, 03:53
too many holders for sure.

where are you going to/from? you could ship the holders in the mail. 3-4 8x10 holders fit nicely into a medium flat rate box. 10$ shipping. may save your baggage weight restrictions. remember every checked bag costs cash in the USA.

carry the camera on with you. find a small bag to put it in....even one of those fabric shopping bags will do.

the rest of the lenses i would individually pack inside a box with bubble wrap and then put the box inside of your checked luggage.

i have been flying all over the world with LF gear and have had zero issues.

because of the weight restriction pelican cases and the like are far far too heavy and unneeded.

msk2193
18-Aug-2011, 04:52
Get your equipment insured as itemied items on your homeowners, get the Pelican case and a TSA lock, check it in as regular baggage. I would take a light tent and fewer holders.
TSA does not regulate the size of the carry-on, but the airline might prevent you from boarding once at the gate and then you will not have anything secure enough for the bag to be thrown into the hold.
Depending on the length of your tripod, you should have no issues hand-carrying it into the cabin here in the USA and in Europe. Many Soouth American airports will consider it a lethal weapon and might have you get it wrapped before carrying it on.
B&H and others still sell lead-bags to put your film in to protect it from x-rays of unknown strength in other countries.

tgtaylor
18-Aug-2011, 07:36
Here's another idea that popped into my head just now: Consider renting an 8x10 camera at the destination. My Toyo 810G in its hard-case weighs in at 48 lbs but before I carried it overseas I'd check around for a local rental. Renting the camera locally would make life simpler and I would only need to bring the lens, film holders, tripod, and tripod dolly.

Thomas

atlcruiser
18-Aug-2011, 08:16
I am setting up the same basic kit. Photobackpacker has the padded case for the dorf. I found a Halliburton "pilots case" on e bay that will fit the dorff in the padded case, a few holders and a bunch of random junk then it locks. I will pad the inside of the case with foam. I like the halliburton as it is very lightweight so I cna check it as luggage. I have the pelican 1600s and they really are too heavy for air transport.

I had not thoguht of the lightwear cases for tripods....gonna get me one of those :)

david

Frank Petronio
18-Aug-2011, 08:58
He shoots portraits so having enough film holders is important, but a good exercise that I do is limit myself to one or two sheets per set-up, it is tough discipline.

You can still rent Sinar 8x10s in NYC and LA, and probably other major cities.

While I wouldn't rent out a delicate, frail wooden toy camera ;-p But there are probably some professionals in every market that would be willing to rent out their industrial-strenth, professional Sinars to another professional. Perhaps calling ahead and seeing if you could make arrangements to rent is the ultimate option?

Supposedly, some of the most famous fashion photographers don't even own a camera, they just rent, just like a cinematographer might not own their own Panavision kit.

You should try a heavy Sinar P2 and massive Gitzo and modern lens sometime... you might find you work smoother because everything is very solid and locks down - you can shoot quickly and be a bit looser since the camera does not move, focus stays in focus... just saying.

(Sigh... that is what I recommend to most people - go big and heavy - they never listen.)

Ari
18-Aug-2011, 09:53
Big, heavy and solid is a good idea for 8x10; changing the film holders on many cameras would jostle things a little, not so on a solid metal monorail.
It's even more important with portraits, as you'll be changing holders quickly and more frequently than if you were shooting landscapes.

Hmm...I guess I'm just repeating what Frank said.

Riccis
18-Aug-2011, 11:11
Thanks for all the recommendations... I am headed to remote areas in Mexico and Brazil and don't think renting locally it's an option. While I travel the world for all my work with my Leicas and Rollei, this will be my first time traveling with the LF setup.

@Frank - Man, I'd love to work loser with the 8x10 and will definitely keep my eye out for a Sinar, thanks for the recommendation.

Cheers!

Steve Barber
18-Aug-2011, 22:53
What you want to do is not something I would recommend. If you are serious, then you are going to have to do some serious research and familiarize yourself with the checked baggage and carry-on requirements of all of the airlines you will be traveling on for each of the classes you will be traveling in, both for domestic flights and international flights. One of the first problems you will need to consider is that the airlines expect you to carry your camera equipment and disclaim any responsibility for it. If you travel with a computer, that cannot be checked and has to be carried on with you. If you are bringing film, than you will not want that in your checked baggage, so it, also, has to be carried on with you.

The airlines have now adopted a new standard for a carry-on bag and it is considerably smaller than the old one. To enforce it, in the check-in area and/or the boarding areas, you are now likely to find a metal cage that your carry-on must fit into. Even then, on domestic flights it is common to require that all carry-on bags be ramped checked to be stowed in the hold and not allowed in the cabin even though they are of the proper, smaller size. You hand over the bag at the gate or going out on the ramp and you get it back when you get off at your destination. Pelican makes a small roll-on case, an iM2500 Storm Trak that is what I replaced my old carry-on with. Yes, it is heavy and has less interior space than I would like, but it will protect its contents and two of the TSA padlocks can be used with it to discourage pilferage. In any event, its exterior dimensions are exactly that required under the new rules; making it as large as it can be and still fit in the cage.

Once you sort out what you will be carrying with you, and I strongly suggest your carry-on be hard-sided with wheels, you can figure out how you will distribute what is left among the bags you are allowed to check, keeping in mind the number of bags and the dimensions and weight that is allowed for each. My standard for packing is that I have to feel comfortable holding the packed bag at shoulder height and dropping it on a concrete floor. Remember, stuff banging around inside the bag can do as much or more damage as the impact of the bag against some hard object on the outside.

Twice a year I make a round trip from the US to Europe and back. Because of the changes that have been made in air travel and baggage requirements, I have come up with a light-weight, minimal 4x5 kit that I originally put together as something to be used in urban areas that could be easily be carried in a soft bag with a shoulder strap. For air travel, the most valuable and\or easily damaged bits are put in the Pelican roll-on case and everything else goes into a checked bag. Using a smaller, lighter weight camera also allows using a smaller, lighter weight tripod, one that can be packed in a suitcase and checked for transport in the baggage hold. I have a Ries and I would not want to haul that on an airplane, even the one I have which is the smaller, take-down version with its own fitted bag.

All that said, if you can come up with a kit that will meet the airline requirements, protect your stuff and not involve a large cash penalty for being oversize and overweight while accommodating your 8x10 folding view camera, tripod and 20 8x10 film holders, Harrison Jumbo tent and film, meanwhile leaving enough room for something to wear besides a thong, I, for one, would love to know how you did it.

Daniel Stone
18-Aug-2011, 23:37
I'd recommend taking 10 holders, MAX. That's 20 shots(a good bit of 8x10 film in its own right, IMO)

Carry-on your laptop, film, other small, easily-grabbed acc's(not lenses), etc... Pack your 8x10 back SEPARATELY from the camera(wrap in bubble wrap and multiple layers of thick cardboard). I went to Iceland in 2010, and shipped my camera(KMV 8x10 at the time) with a few lenses, 15 holders(too many, I'd take 10 now if going back) to the people I was traveling with(they were shipping vehicles in a container to the destination country, but nonetheless, I packed it securely for rough handling via UPS).

Hard cases(like the Pelican/Storm) are great, but very heavy. Get a folding, rolling cart from your local office supply store, and pack it with your clothes. Get a Lightwear or Tenba case, and put your LF equipment in that, padded with your undies, t-shirts, etc.. They make great padding for traveling, and help reduce extra bulky bags ;).

I am headed to remote areas in Mexico and Brazil and don't think renting locally it's an option.
Cheers!

also, you mention going to "remote"(I'm assuming the possibility of the jungle?) areas. Be careful with a wooden camera, and swelling of the wood due to increased humidity. I remember reading in a Nat'l Geographic a few years ago about a photographer who packed 5 tons of lighting gear, generators,etc..., but failed to think about shooting with a 8x10 'dorf in the middle of the jungle :eek:! His focusing rails swelled up, rendering the camera useless. If he had a metal camera, he'd have been fine. He had to carve away part of the wood on the rails in order to use it for the assignment, oops!

best of luck with your trip!

Dan

Frank Petronio
19-Aug-2011, 04:29
There is a reason that carbon fiber tripods and lighter cameras like the old Wehman exist!

I used to use a rolling Pelican 1520 case as my carry-on a few years ago. It was very protective. Until one day, in line to board, one of the brittle plastic latches simply snapped my $$$ rode the rest of the day with only one latch holding the case shut and me babying it. I think the plastic cases are wonderful protection in some ways but not perfect.

If they ever start weighing carry-ons to conform to the 20 lb limit we're screwed....

The thing about carry-ons is you need them to protect you in a gate check situation or you want to go so small that you won't be gate checked. The Think Tank Airport Ultralight is small enough that it never was gate-checked even on tiny planes, and even with my big feet I could still reasonably put it under the seat ahead of me. But it's half the size of some of the photo backpacks I see people using.

When people are jostling and cramming the overheads, it is nicer to stow your expensive gear at your feet rather than having some jerk shove their giant leaden carry-on into your laptop/camera bag without you even able to see what's happening. When I do use the overheads, I pick a strategic spot opposite and slightly ahead of my seat so I can watch the other passengers loading and can anticipate the worse cases.

Jim Cole
19-Aug-2011, 06:43
Pelican makes a small roll-on case, an iM2500 Storm Trak that is what I replaced my old carry-on with. Yes, it is heavy and has less interior space than I would like, but it will protect its contents and two of the TSA padlocks can be used with it to discourage pilferage.

Just a heads up on the TSA padlocks. On a trip to Ireland three years ago, the TSA locks on my Storm Case were cut off on it's way to Ireland. Fortunately, my 4x5 kit made it both ways safely. I used cable ties on the way home, which surprisingly were left alone. The $30+ spent on the locks was a write-off.

Pete Roody
19-Aug-2011, 07:33
When I air travel with my 8x10 arca, i like to carry on the camera, lenses, lightmeter, 3-4 holders and film. I check the rest. I figure I can always get another tripod if it didn't show up at the baggage claim, but a camera and lenses I don't want to loose. I carry the camera, lenses, etc. in a Tenba 'huge' backpack on board. That way I also have a backpack to carry my gear in the field. It holds everything plus 4 holders. If I want extra holders, I check them. I don't think that backpack is made any more but there are alternates (F64).

I also separate film from the backpack when going through the x-ray machines. I put the film through first and the camera last with some space between them. Many times they will keep the backpack under xray for awhile to see what it is. No need for the film to stay there that long.

A Ries is a great match for the Deardorff, but I like more compact tripods when I travel. A gitzo folds much shorter and you can place that in normal luggage with your clothes (a rolling duffel for instance). Makes traveling easier.

Noah A
19-Aug-2011, 08:34

You should try a heavy Sinar P2 and massive Gitzo and modern lens sometime... you might find you work smoother because everything is very solid and locks down - you can shoot quickly and be a bit looser since the camera does not move, focus stays in focus... just saying.

I agree...I started with LF with an 8x10 Canham. It was the metal version but it was sort of built like a wooden camera and it wasn't very rigid. The results were usually fine, but it didn't inspire confidence and I was always double checking everything to make sure nothing moved accidentally.

If you're not making gargantuan prints or contact prints you could also consider a 4x5 kit. I know, I know, there's something special about the 8x10. But I can travel with my Technika and a few lenses and it's not that much bigger of a kit than the digital gear I used to carry: two M9s, 3-5 lenses, laptop, hard drives, chargers, etc.

It's not that 8x10 cameras are all that big. But the holders and film itself really take up space.

If you must shoot 8x10, stop screwing around and get yourself an Arca Swiss F-Metric 8x10:D . It will give you much of the rigidity of a studio camera in a very compact (for 8x10) size. I've worked with one and it was a real pleasure to use. You could carry it on the plane in a backpack with a few holders and your film, and check some extra (unloaded) holders in your bags between your clothes.

Otherwise, go for a lightware without wheels as Frank said. Whichever one fits your stuff.

I have a rolling peli case that I use for local jobs. I love working out of it since it's like a mobile office...everything is where I need it and easily accessible, and I can stand on it if I need a higher angle. Mine is the carry-on sized model, but it's still pretty heavy.

The problem with wheeled cases are that the wheels are often useless outside of the airport (Ever try rolling one on rough concrete? the case vibrates so much I'd hate to think of all of the little parts coming loose on your gear.) And places with steps, uneven pavement or no pavement, you're stuck carrying a case that's heavier and larger than it would have been without wheels. You can borrow carts at the airport or even buy a luggage cart once you get to your destination. It'll work better than built-in wheels.

One nice thing about pelicans is that you can lock them up in your hotel room, which is nice if you stay in cheap places like I do:eek:. A simple chain through the handle and padlock on the case isn't impossible to break into, but it will deter an amateur thief or sneaky hotel staff. I had a locked soft case get slashed in a hotel in Baghdad and had some gear and quite a bit of cash stolen, all of it belonging to my employer at the time.

I don't usually have a car so lately I've been traveling with backpacks and soft cases. I have a pacsafe for my film and any backup gear I may leave at the hotel.

jeroldharter
20-Aug-2011, 03:15
I am currently sitting at Heathrow waiting for a flight home to USA with my 8x10 kit.

In a Pelican roller case as a carry on I brought:

Wehman 8x10
210 mm Rodenstock Apo-Sironar W
305 mm Schneider G-Claron
450 mm Fujinon C
600 mm Fujinon C
Meter, Loupe, stopwatch, cable release, etc.

In my checked baggage, I included an empty and collapsed Photobackpacker backpack for carrying the camera around.

In an extra large LL Bean canvas beach tote I have 10 holders (5 each in 2 padded bags), 100 sheets of TMY2, and 5 additional boxes for exposed film.

When I do it again, I will check the holders in another hard case because they are really heavy.

you did not mention how much film you will be taking. With 20 holders, I assume quite a bit.

If I were you, I would use a Pelican for the camera kit. I would also consider getting another camera - a lighter metal camera like a Canham or a Ritter and use a plexi groundglass.

I would ship the empty holders in a separate hard case.

I would carry the film. The LL Bean canvas totes with the long straps work well.

When I can, I often bring a jogging stroller along because that can go as a carry on without a fee and I use that to push everything much more easily.

Drew Bedo
23-Aug-2011, 14:51
I put my 2-D into a LowePro Super Trekker back pack with a mounted lens, 3 holders and the other stuff, for walking around. If this kit must be shipped, the whole bag goes into a hard-shell Pelican case as-is. Works fine.

Sergio
23-Aug-2011, 22:22
Hi at all.
http://www.plaber.com/