PDA

View Full Version : MPP Monorail 8x10 infos

ghe67
16-Aug-2011, 16:06
HI guys,
I'm thinking about 8x10 camera, I'm very intrigued about it.
So, after a lot of search and reading I have now two candidate, the first is the Sinar Norma, the other is the MPP monorail camera.
Lot of infos about the Sinar, nothing everywhere on the MPP, on the MPP site few words but some important point like...the 8x10 camera take cut film holder only...
??:confused: so it means that it can't take a reducing back to shoot 5x7 and 4x5?
Does anyone know something more about the camera, I'd like to see some pics of the 8x10 model that I think is a 5x7 with a different back standard and bellow?
I think I wouldl buy one but sadly it's not easy to find and spares and parts availability are horrendous...
Any help?
Here some pics of a 4x5 version currently for sale on auction site, for my taste it's a beautiful camera and it seems built like a tank.
Thanks
Giorgio

Ari
17-Aug-2011, 05:30
I don't know much about the Sinar, even less about the MPP, but based on availability of parts and accessories alone, why don't you opt for the Sinar?
If taking pictures is the most important thing, don't let it depend on a worldwide search for some part on which the entire camera's function depends.
Perhaps MPPs are more common in Europe, but I would opt for a modular system with lots of options for inexpensive spare parts everywhere.
Sinar and Toyo both come to mind.

Louis Pacilla
17-Aug-2011, 06:33
I don't know much about the Sinar, even less about the MPP, but based on availability of parts and accessories alone, why don't you opt for the Sinar?
If taking pictures is the most important thing, don't let it depend on a worldwide search for some part on which the entire camera's function depends.
Perhaps MPPs are more common in Europe, but I would opt for a modular system with lots of options for inexpensive spare parts everywhere.
Sinar and Toyo both come to mind.

+1

ghe67
17-Aug-2011, 07:02
What you said is logical, but...
I've always been attracted by non-common things, in evey aspect of my life.
for all of you I think there is something special, camera, cars, food, etc..also, I'm very interested in mechanical things, engine, bikes etc..so for me the story and the MPP cameras are something special, maybe are not the best camera in the world, but as I have a lot of camera to play with I really want to see if I can get one.
More difficoult will be the searching of parts more satisfactory will be shooting 8x10 film with the camera.
I'm not interested at all in Toyo, Horseman, Cambo, Calumet, etc..and all the other brand maybe for the reason that you can buy everything you need by clicking a button on the pc...
Just a matter of taste and being.:)
Giorgio

Ari
17-Aug-2011, 07:11
Having parts that are hard to find does not make something better, or of higher quality.
There is no "best camera"; remember, we're talking about a dark box.
What's the point of buying the best anything if you can't use it?

But as Mr Spock once said:
"Desiring something is often preferable to having it; it is illogical, but true."

ghe67
17-Aug-2011, 07:17
Ari,
....Having parts that are hard to find does not make something better, or of higher quality.

Yes, but I've not said "better or quality", I mean special for me, that's all.
Ciao
Giorgio

Ari
17-Aug-2011, 07:28
Fair enough, Giorgio.
My dream motorcycle was, and still is, the 97 Triumph Speed Triple.
When I bought it in 2001, it was against the advice of many who urged me to get something more "common" or easy to fix, like a Honda or Yamaha; I even considered a Ducati, but no other motorcycle was like the Triumph. I still have it, and still think it's the greatest bike ever.

But parts were and still are readily available. :)

Buona fortuna!

Louis Pacilla
17-Aug-2011, 07:32
Ari,
....Having parts that are hard to find does not make something better, or of higher quality.

Yes, but I've not said "better or quality", I mean special for me, that's all.
Ciao
Giorgio

Hey Go for it. Just remember you were warned.

ghe67
17-Aug-2011, 07:38
That's speaking!!:)
Ari,
I'm a biker too, my dream bike was a Ducati and when I bought it I choose not only the rarest version but also the single seater model....
Just to say that I'm really nuts...
Here's me with my jewel, 996 SPS
Ciao
Giorgio.

Louis Pacilla
17-Aug-2011, 07:43
That's speaking!!:)
Ari,
I'm a bikers too, my dream bike was a Ducati and when I bought it I choose not only the rarest version but also the single seater model....
Just to say that I'm really nuts...
Here's me with my jewel, 996 SPS
Ciao
Giorgio.

What a beauty. Very cool bike.

I still think you can't go wrong with choosing Sinar with SOOOOO many items on the used market. You could have an entire & complete10x8 Sinar system built up before you locate a simple 10x8 MPP standard kit.

ghe67
17-Aug-2011, 07:49
Louis,
if you know of someone selling a Norma 8x10 camera give me shout, I'd like the camera very much even it has nothing special to me...:)
Thanks
Giorgio

Ari
17-Aug-2011, 07:57
There's one here:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=78228&highlight=norma

Beautiful bike, G; but monoposto? I thought the point was to get girls ON the bike. :)

While we're on the subject...

Louis Pacilla
17-Aug-2011, 09:12
There's one here:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=78228&highlight=norma

Beautiful bike, G; but monoposto? I thought the point was to get girls ON the bike. :)

While we're on the subject...
Man Ari that's one hell of nice Triumph & G your Ducati is magnificent. Now we need to get the two of you and your fast machines together at the flats.:D

Ari
17-Aug-2011, 09:22
Thanks, Louis; I'd love to use that bike's full potential.

ghe67
17-Aug-2011, 09:28
Ari,
by the way, there is a beautiful MPP 4x5 outfit for sale in Toronto at the moment on the auction site.
3 lenses, back etc...mint conditions for nothing...but sadly the shipping cost, taxes and duties will kill me...
Take a look if your are interested.
Ciao
Giorgio

Ari
17-Aug-2011, 09:36
Very nice, Giorgio; the price will likely go up.
I'd be curious to see what the final price is.
The lenses are worth $500-$850 alone.

Weren't you looking for an 8x10? :)

Brian Ellis
17-Aug-2011, 09:38
What you said is logical, but...
I've always been attracted by non-common things, in evey aspect of my life.
for all of you I think there is something special, camera, cars, food, etc..also, I'm very interested in mechanical things, engine, bikes etc..so for me the story and the MPP cameras are something special, maybe are not the best camera in the world, but as I have a lot of camera to play with I really want to see if I can get one.
More difficoult will be the searching of parts more satisfactory will be shooting 8x10 film with the camera.
I'm not interested at all in Toyo, Horseman, Cambo, Calumet, etc..and all the other brand maybe for the reason that you can buy everything you need by clicking a button on the pc...
Just a matter of taste and being.:)
Giorgio

We all have priorities. Sounds like yours with cameras is having something uncommon. So the MPP seems like the obvious choice for you.

ghe67
17-Aug-2011, 10:27
Brian,
my priority about the cameras is not to have "something uncommon" is to have a very good camera with a superb lens to shoot.
That's said, I have a lot of cameras to take great pics with great lens but also these are quitely uncommon.
The Graflex XLSW with 1" spacer and the very rare 4x5 Graflok adapter allows me to shoot every format from 6x6 to 8x10cm also Polaroid sheet film (545 holder) and pack with superb German lenses, but to do this I have searched all over the world the parts for the kit, and I've ended spending a lot of money but I'm very happy about that.
The only alternative for such a camera, are the Arca Swiss and ALPA cameras, portable, helicoid mount, superb lenses, only, they shoot until 6x9 format, and they are not un-common, they are just beautiful made but foolishly expensive for what they are.
Sometimes is possible to match quality and un-common property, the MPP monorail is a very good compromise of the two quality.
Ciao
Giorgio

PS: sorry for my english.

David Loney
27-Jan-2013, 03:49
Hi Giorgio,
Did you get your 10x8 in the end.
I have an MPP 10x8 and the first pictures I took were of a Ducati Carl Fogarty Replica no 158.
They are very heavy and ideally for studio use. I then bought a Gandolfi 10x8 which is so much more portable.
P.S. I also have a Ducati ST4 and I had a yellow 916 which I had to sell.