PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody heard of Arca Swiss 6X9 SL23 A

Christophe F. Lesueur
7-Feb-2002, 18:35
I've just chanced upon what looks like an older (and much cheaper) version of th e Arca Swiss 6X9 FC: the SL23 A. Has anybody heard/owned/tried it? Apart from th e fact that it is probably less compact that the 6X9 FC, what would be the main differences? Could I use a 47 mm without having to change the bellows? Are there any limitations for use in architecture/landscape photography?

thanks a lot

Christophe

Leonard Robertson
9-Feb-2002, 00:27
The January 1975 "Photomethods" magazine has a piece on the Arca SL23B, the base tilt version of the center tilt SL23A. I can't tell if the information given for the B is the same for the A, but for the B, the shortest lens usable with a flat board is 65mm. A recessed board is needed for a 47mm lens. The article doesn't indicate if this is with standard or bag bellows. Maximum extension is given as over 10 1/2". Both versions are convertable to 4X5. The back is a Graflok-type, so RB67 roll holders should be usable. Camera weight is given as "..barely over 3 lbs., without optics and accessories." It looks to me like a nice light compact camera. One thing to consider would be finding extra parts if you need anything. You might check with Lens & Repro, Glenn Evans, or the other LF dealers. If you decide to buy one, please post to the group what you think of it.

Paul Whiting
14-May-2002, 11:53
Hello, Chris et al,

I have an Arca-Swiss 6x9 SL232A, got it from a guy on the CompuServe Photo Forum a few years ago. Really miss that forum, btw, but this group has a similar help ful spirit about it... glad I found you all!

One of these was also recently on eBay, being sold by Quality Camera of Georgia, and I learned that the SL stands for SuperLight. It is a sweet little camera, m ine came with an assortment of lenses, some not so great, but did include a fine Nikkor 105 mm WA and a Scheider TeleArton (sp?) 240 mm. Also has two or three f lat boards, and three recessed boards of varying depths. Also a normal bellows a nd a WA bellows, about 10 Grafmatic backs, 6 Graflex (6x9 opening) backs, and tw o Polaroid backs... and some spare ground glass screens. All for $1500, so I gue ss it was a pretty good deal.

Recently purchased a 75 mm f/8 SuperAngulon lens from Quality Camera, and I thin k this will be my main lens. I can make the extremities of the camera movements and still get all the coverage I want with this lens. I like to photograph histo ric buildings, none more than about five stories, so should be ok. Want to take slides in 35 mm at the same time, with a 35 mm shift lens, which has about the s ame angle of view as 75 mm in 6 x 9.

Am missing a small set screw on one of the base mounts, and am waiting to hear f rom Quality Camera as to how to contact the one they sold on eBay. Whoever they sold it to knows where to get parts for these.. not a serious loss for now, the setscrew is not a must at this point.

Hope this helps... would love to get a small user group going on this camera.

Paul Whiting

(Chris: your last name interests me... my wife taught in a small town in Minneso ta by that name, Le Sueur! He must have been a French explorer passing through t hose parts at one time.)

Paul Whiting
14-May-2002, 22:44
Chris,

Looking back at this thread, I don't think I answered one of your questions, ie the one about the 47 mm lens.

I can tell you I had to use a bag bellows on my 75 so am quite sure you'd need o ne for a 47, plus a recessed lens board. I am using one of my moderately recesse d boards with the 75. I have another board that's recessed deeper but I don't ne ed it yet, so hate to drill it out for this lens. My guess is that 47 might be r eally pushing the boundaries of both bags and recessed boards but who knows.

Sorry, maybe someone else can give you a better answer! I do think you'd need to have to change the bellows, though, the standard bellows didn't even work on my 75... it had too many folds, and was too stiff.

Paul