PDA

View Full Version : Jobo 3010 - which roller?

LF_rookie_to_be
14-Aug-2011, 11:23
Which roller works the best with a 3010 drum? 4x5 negs, Tetenal chemistry, precise temp control possible. I'm in central Europe so I'm also wondering about potential problems with US devices, which seem to be in abundance on that big site. Thanks.

Sirius Glass
15-Aug-2011, 11:46
The rollers have to be removed and place back in after rotating so that they stand higher for 3000 series tanks.

polyglot
15-Aug-2011, 20:36
Rookie: do you mean which rolling base can you use for the tank? Sticking with Jobo, the CPA-2, CPP-2 (both require Jobo-Lift accessory to support 3xxx drums) and ATL-2x00 series are compatible (http://www.jobo.de/web/Expert-Drums.855.0.html); CPE and ATL-1xxx are not compatible. There are plenty of Jobos in Europe (it being a German company!) and designed for 240V.

Sirius is talking about little plastic extenion legs for the rollers on CPA-2 and CPP-2 processors. For 1xxx tanks (small diameter), you use the extensions pointing inwards; for 2xxx tanks (medium diameter) you use no extensions and for 3xxx tanks (large diameter), the extensions point outwards.

As for non-Jobo processors, sorry, no idea. I use a CPP-2 and it does colour perfectly well.

Sirius Glass
16-Aug-2011, 10:02
Sirius is talking about little plastic extenion legs for the rollers on CPA-2 and CPP-2 processors. For 1xxx tanks (small diameter), you use the extensions pointing inwards; for 2xxx tanks (medium diameter) you use no extensions and for 3xxx tanks (large diameter), the extensions point outwards.

Exactly!

As for non-Jobo processors, sorry, no idea. I use a CPP-2 and it does colour perfectly well.

That is what I use and it is of course great for black & white.

Steve

LF_rookie_to_be
16-Aug-2011, 11:32
Sorry, should have clarified it a bit better - I meant the Uniroller and similar devices. Most readily available ones are built for US voltage. Do they operate without any problems if a transformer is used?

Re: CPA/CPP - budgetary constraints don't allow me to consider purchasing one at the moment.

Sirius Glass
16-Aug-2011, 11:48
Re: CPA/CPP - budgetary constraints don't allow me to consider purchasing one at the moment.

I picked up my CPP2 complete with bottles, graduate cyclinders, 1540 tank [no reels] and instructions for $150US last year on APUG. You just have to look carefully and move fast.

Steve

LF_rookie_to_be
16-Aug-2011, 12:03
Hmm, over here (close to where they were made!) they seem to go for a bit more. Though I was lucky recently and picked up a Fujimoto (aka Lucky...) 450M-C w/ all 3 mixing boxes, 6 carriers and 7 spare bulbs for what you'd call peanuts. So, a 3010 on a Uniroller... Is this safe: Uniroller > voltage transformer > 220 V plug + a tweak to turn off bi-directional rotation?

polyglot
16-Aug-2011, 16:40
You want the bi-directional rotation. Best if it does at least 2 revolutions before reversing though.

If using a stepdown transformer to run a 110V roller, the transformer should have a US-style output socket on it, which you plug the roller into. Don't replace the roller's US plug with a local 220V plug; it will tempt someone into plugging it straight into the wall and let all the magic smoke out.

takomaru
11-Sep-2011, 00:09
The problem between Us and Europe is not the voltage, you can use a transformer, but the cyclage. Most of 50 cycles in 60 will burn out fast quickly by experience, the other way it just slows it down. In Europe JOBO's are expensive and their circuits mostly damaged for bad storage. I live is Asia and could not pick up a good one anywhere. I'm sorry I dumped mine, now they want 2000Euros for a CPP2 with a lift, no tanks...good luck with the rest, this one was very good!

Ramiro Elena
11-Sep-2011, 08:02
You want the bi-directional rotation. Best if it does at least 2 revolutions before reversing though.

If using a stepdown transformer to run a 110V roller, the transformer should have a US-style output socket on it, which you plug the roller into. Don't replace the roller's US plug with a local 220V plug; it will tempt someone into plugging it straight into the wall and let all the magic smoke out.

How about replacing the motor with a 220v?

Greg Blank
11-Sep-2011, 08:08
Any internal components that handled the 110V would need to be changed. Messing with 220 is high enough voltage to kill you, quite dead.

How about replacing the motor with a 220v?

Ramiro Elena
11-Sep-2011, 08:50
Quite right but... are the Uniroller/Beseler that complex? Staying away from a possible condenser which could certainly fry you.

Greg Blank
11-Sep-2011, 11:51
Well I don't claim to know how theBeseler motor bases are put together, if it has a speed control its most likely a potentiometer. Potentiomenters generally have a maximum amperage allowence. If you jump from 110 to 220 and their are any other components beyond the motor and the cord, those components need to be checked for thier ratings otherwise your project may end up in smoke.

Cor
13-Sep-2011, 06:26
Rookie,

I do not know werre you are but here in The Netherlands I see them regulary for sale.

I myself use a 3010 tank (the perfect solution for me after using BZT tubes, a Combiplan and evn a 2501n reeel on my Jobo CPA-2) on a Simma roller.

This roller is unit-directional (there is debate if bi-directional is really necessary) and the wheels which roll the tank are asymmetrically mounted, so the tank wobbles back and forth, causing to Simma a Sine Wave (see here for a photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/raulm/4704080702/). Oh and it is 220volt.

My only "complain" is that the wheels are spaced to far, ie they do not fall between the rim of the lid and the rim of the bottom of the 3010, so it's not perfectly horizontal, but it's wobbling anyway..

Good luck,

Cor

LF_rookie_to_be
15-Sep-2011, 04:01
Cor,

Are all Simma rollers 220V or just those intended for the European market? Sometimes the sellers simply won't provide such level of detail. BTW, I'm in Croatia.

LF_rtb

Cor
15-Sep-2011, 04:36
Hi

I wouldn't know, the one in the picture (if link does not work Google: simma sine roller) is in Spain, I believe so 220v..I seem to recall that Simma stuff is/was made in Canada (so 110 volt, right?)

If a seller does not want to tell you on which voltage it runs, I would not deal with him..

Beeing in Croatia, what about Ebay.de of Ebay.it?

Best,

Cor

Ramiro Elena
15-Sep-2011, 04:44
Cor, you mean you got yours in Spain?
I'd be very interested in getting one. The only one I found is being sold in eBay.it but they're asking to much (for my pocket and what I was thinking of spending).

I googled it and yes, it seems to be a Canadian made roller.