PDA

View Full Version : Mamiya 150mm on Horseman 985/ help?

Vincent Frazzetta
13-Aug-2011, 14:49
The Mamiya Sekor 150mm 5.6/ Siekosha-S shutter came with the 985 (all metal retro look to the lens), but no board included. I've Googled around, and haven't found much on this lens, so I'm guessing it isn't a stellar performer. I plan to eventually use a 90mm, but this one will be my learning curve. What's your opinion of this lens?...is it worth a professional CLA?...will it fold up properly on the 985?...is a shim necessary?...the shutter release is a bar sort of thing--how is this shutter tripped?...the f-stop indicator (part of a circular plate affixed to the back of the lens) seems stuck on 5.6, and I haven't figured out how to reset it to another stop--any help with this?...I'd appreciate any information...

[URL="www.vincentfrazzettaphotography.com"]

BarryS
13-Aug-2011, 19:32
That sounds like the 150mm that was part of the Mamiya Press medium format system. Are you sure it covers 4x5? I'm thinking it would fall a bit short or cover with no movements at best. If it was in the original helical and you planned to use it on a Mamiya press camera, then it might be worth a CLA. In your case, I'd be looking for another lens.

dave_whatever
14-Aug-2011, 00:44
The horseman985 is a 6x9 camera, so it should cover easily.

Sevo
14-Aug-2011, 02:12
Originally the shutter is tripped by a wire release attached to a fixture on the helical/barrel. You'll either have to trip it by hand on the lens, or remount into another shutter. The lens is from a 6x9 system and covers quarter plate size Polaroid at 5m (any distance, once the baffle is removed from the rear of the lens), so coverage will be good enough for the Horseman.

GPS
14-Aug-2011, 05:35
The Mamiya Sekor 150mm 5.6/ Siekosha-S shutter came with the 985 (all metal retro look to the lens), but no board included. I've Googled around, and haven't found much on this lens, so I'm guessing it isn't a stellar performer. I plan to eventually use a 90mm, but this one will be my learning curve. What's your opinion of this lens?...is it worth a professional CLA?...will it fold up properly on the 985?...is a shim necessary?...the shutter release is a bar sort of thing--how is this shutter tripped?...the f-stop indicator (part of a circular plate affixed to the back of the lens) seems stuck on 5.6, and I haven't figured out how to reset it to another stop--any help with this?...I'd appreciate any information...

[URL="www.vincentfrazzettaphotography.com"]

You don't say if it is a home made arrangement (Mamiya Press lenses have a bayonet end) but if it is the Mamiya Press lens then it is of very good quality, optically. A short lens shade put on the lens outer diameter improves it even more. Google on Mamiya press lenses for more info.

Vincent Frazzetta
14-Aug-2011, 11:32
...thanks for the responses--this forum is always and education...I'll appreciate any other contribution, too...

...GPS, per your suggestion, I did Google Mamiya Press Lenses, and I did find a review of this lens, and I do have more respect for the lens now...thanks...

Jim Galli
14-Aug-2011, 11:43
It IS a stellar performer. One problem to overcome if it is the Mamiya press one is that it won't have a decent cable release. The very worthy lens elements will fit in any Copal 0 shutter correctly spaced.

GPS
14-Aug-2011, 11:53
...thanks for the responses--this forum is always and education...I'll appreciate any other contribution, too...

...GPS, per your suggestion, I did Google Mamiya Press Lenses, and I did find a review of this lens, and I do have more respect for the lens now...thanks...

Glad to hear that, I often use the lens on my Mamiya Press cameras. With a simple lens shade it pleases me all the time with its results.