PDA

View Full Version : Epson Pro 4800 Printer

David Aimone
13-Aug-2011, 08:47
I have a friend who is selling all their bulky photo stuff because they are planning to live on a 36 foot sailboat in the Caribbean. Sounds tough.

Anyway, she will sell me a modestly used (in the home) Epson Pro 4800 printer for $400. She says it works great, though she's had a bit of trouble with the cartridge feeder (the roll and single sheet feeds works great). She'll even throw in a bunch of paper supplies. There's some ink left, but will need new inks soon and a waste cartridge.

Is this a good deal? I had been considering a 3880 down the road, but they seem to go for around $1200 plus.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

David Aimone
14-Aug-2011, 08:47
Anyone out there using or familiar with this printer?

Ron Marshall
14-Aug-2011, 08:59
I have a 3800. A 4800 for $400 is a good deal, if you don't intend to often switch between matt and glossy media; because the 4800 wastes significant amounts of ink in switching blacks.

You are looking at about $415 to replace all of the inks.

Peter De Smidt
14-Aug-2011, 09:01
I am a bit. It's a good printer, but quite long-in-the-tooth. It's big and heavy. I used to work at a studio that had one. It saw a lot of use. It had real difficulty picking up matte papers, such as Hanumuhle Photo Rag from the cassette. It also clogged fairly regularly. If you want to change between Photo Black and Matte Black, it'll use a lot of ink.

So, first question. Do you have the space for the printer? Do you plan to print color or bw, and do you plan on printing on Photo Black, Matte Black, or both types of paper?

And to put things in perspective, about a year ago I bought a 4880 new on rebate. Final price shipped to my door was $950.

David Aimone
14-Aug-2011, 09:02
Ron,

Where do you find the inks for $415? I'm looking at prices around $70 a pop (x8), but I know there are places that offer discounts, just haven't found them yet.

David

I have a 3800. A 4800 for $400 is a good deal, if you don't intend to often switch between matt and glossy media; because the 4800 wastes significant amounts of ink in switching blacks.

You are looking at about $415 to replace all of the inks.

David Aimone
14-Aug-2011, 09:05
Well, sticking to one type of paper may not be an issue for me, but I am planning on doing both color and black and white. Right now, I'm doing black and white the old fashioned way (and will continue to do so), but there will be times I use the printer as well.

So, I guess it would be used most of the time for color.

I am looking for something that will last a while. I know my friend has used this modestly for herself only, but if in the long run I'm much better off with something like a 3880, I'd wait.

I am a bit. It's a good printer, but quite long-in-the-tooth. It's big and heavy. I used to work at a studio that had one. It saw a lot of use. It had real difficulty picking up matte papers, such as Hanumuhle Photo Rag from the cassette. It also clogged fairly regularly. If you want to change between Photo Black and Matte Black, it'll use a lot of ink.

So, first question. Do you have the space for the printer? Do you plan to print color or bw, and do you plan on printing on Photo Black, Matte Black, or both types of paper?

David Aimone
14-Aug-2011, 09:06
And where did you get a 4880 for $950? There is no rebate now and the 3880 is going for around $1200 at best.

And to put things in perspective, about a year ago I bought a 4880 new on rebate. Final price shipped to my door was $950.

Greg Miller
14-Aug-2011, 09:07
Hi David,

I have been using my 4800 for several years. I'm very happy with the printer. I never use the bulk paper feeder because art papers are too thick for it - I primarily use the roll paper feeder and occasionally the sheet feeder (which can be a bit fussy to get a sheet fed straight enough for the printer to accept it). My printer has been very free of head clogs. So I think you could purchase this and be confident that you will get quality prints from it.

My biggest complaint about the printer is that you have to switch out ink cartridges if you switch between matte and gloss papers. That takes time and wastes a lot of ink.

You may want to consider a 4900. You can get one for $1,500 from B&H. Compare that to the 4800 plus all new 110ml ink cartridges & waste tank and the cost difference is only $500. The 4900 is 2 generations newer, you can swap black ink on the fly, and you will have a warranty.

Greg Lockrey
14-Aug-2011, 09:11
I have a 9600, 4800, and the 3800. They all print great but the 4800 does have an issue with clogged heads from time to time if I let the machine sit idle for a week or so. I print at least one 8x10 print a day to minimize this. As for changing from matte to gloss I prefer using a gloss laminate instead. It looks much better (to me and my clients) than any of the gloss papers I use with the 3800 that I use for gloss. The old 9600 is my work horse.... like an old Cadillac that just keeps running along. $400 is a good price and the machine prints great.

Peter De Smidt
14-Aug-2011, 10:29
I bought my 4880 printer from It Supplies, http://www.itsupplies.com/. At that time there were two Epson rebates on the printer.

See: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Pro/Promotions.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes Right now there's a $1000 rebate on the 4900.

The 4800 is a good printer, especially if you don't feel the need to swap the black cartridges between matte and photo. If you don't mind a little more troubleshooting, it'll probably be fine. If you want to wait for rebates on a new printer, it'll probably be a little less trouble prone, but you won't be able to print now.

I'd recommend that you have her do a manual nozzle check. If you can get a good one. Go ahead. If you can't, even after some head cleanings, I'd pass.

Ron Marshall
14-Aug-2011, 17:50
Ron,

Where do you find the inks for $415? I'm looking at prices around $70 a pop (x8), but I know there are places that offer discounts, just haven't found them yet.

David

B&H Photo video. You must add them to your cart to see the discounted price.

In my opinion, and as Greg said above, the 4900 @ $1500 (with rebate) is a better deal, if you have the money, than the 4800 plus ink.

David Aimone
14-Aug-2011, 18:03
Actually, they have the 4900 for even less than $1500 with rebate....
Interesting

Steve Gledhill
15-Aug-2011, 06:27
I've owned and used regularly (and frequently) my 4800 from new over 6 years ago.

Trouble free, and almost clog free - minor ones only easily cleared.

The only down side is the expensive Epson inks, and expense/hassle associated with swapping between PK and MK. But I don't swap, just use PK. Other inks may be ok - but I have no experience of them.

Here's a question to bear in mind: How long will Epson continue to supply inks for this model given it was launched 7ish years ago?

This printer has been perfect for my needs. But at over 6 years it can't be too long before something expensive occurs. If it's expensive then I'll dictate that it will be fatal!

Greg Lockrey
15-Aug-2011, 07:11
Here's a question to bear in mind: How long will Epson continue to supply inks for this model given it was launched 7ish years ago?

As long as there are buyers.... I've had my 9600 for about 12 years and guys who have the 9000 are still getting ink.

Peter De Smidt
15-Aug-2011, 07:39
One difference might be that you can get third party cartridges and inks for a 4880 from places like Inkjetmall, but I'm not sure that you can for the 4900.

David Aimone
15-Aug-2011, 07:41
I'm not sure if this is an issue, but the 4900 inks are available in the larger 200ml only, I believe...

One difference might be that you can get third party cartridges and inks for a 4880 from places like Inkjetmall, but I'm not sure that you can for the 4900.

Jon Shiu
15-Aug-2011, 08:40
re: 4900, I see the starter inks are 80ml and the replacements are 200ml ($99.95).

Jon

Steve Gledhill
15-Aug-2011, 11:10
As long as there are buyers.... I've had my 9600 for about 12 years and guys who have the 9000 are still getting ink.

Good to hear. If wouldn't like it to have to be 'retired' because of ink unavailability whilst otherwise still able to print problem free. Fingers crossed for several more trouble free years. If I remember (unlikely) I'll report back when it gives up the ghost.

David Aimone
15-Aug-2011, 16:24
I'm now thinking of NOT purchasing my friend's 4900.

So:

Seeing as I can get the Epson 3880 and 4900 right now for the same price, which would be the better purchase for a photographer who will get moderate private use. If I was doing large volume, the 4900 would be a no-brainer, but I'm not sure if the plusses outweigh the minuses for lower volume use (the minuses being mainly larger, more expensive ink cartridges--are there other minuses?).

David

Peter De Smidt
15-Aug-2011, 16:33
Well, the cartridges are more expensive than the 3880, but they hold a lot more ink. I haven't priced out the per ml costs on a 4900, but usually the big printers are a much better value ink-wise. In addition, you can print on rolls with the 4900. That said, both will produce very good prints for you.

Greg Lockrey
16-Aug-2011, 05:01
I'm now thinking of NOT purchasing my friend's 4900.

So:

Seeing as I can get the Epson 3880 and 4900 right now for the same price, which would be the better purchase for a photographer who will get moderate private use. If I was doing large volume, the 4900 would be a no-brainer, but I'm not sure if the plusses outweigh the minuses for lower volume use (the minuses being mainly larger, more expensive ink cartridges--are there other minuses?).

David

If your aim is to change papers and inks often and very large pieces aren't seen in the future then the sheet fed 3880 will be the one you need. If you plan on running rolls instead and want to do long paramedics or banners then the 4900 will be better suited. I use my 4800 everyday. I can run as little as 5" to 100' at a time if necessary and never worry about feed issues. I also have the 3800 but since it's sheet fed I have to know that I'm going to fill that sheet up with work to make it cost effective. For production purposes tying to run partial cut sheets is a PITA.

rdenney
16-Aug-2011, 09:18
If your aim is to change papers and inks often and very large pieces aren't seen in the future then the sheet fed 3880 will be the one you need. If you plan on running rolls instead and want to do long paramedics or banners then the 4900 will be better suited. I use my 4800 everyday. I can run as little as 5" to 100' at a time if necessary and never worry about feed issues. I also have the 3800 but since it's sheet fed I have to know that I'm going to fill that sheet up with work to make it cost effective. For production purposes tying to run partial cut sheets is a PITA.

Yes, I think this hits the important point, which is that the 4800 series was intended for a production environment and the 3800 series was intended for an individual photographer's occasional use. I have a 3800 and would like to print 16x24 more easily (Epson does not make 17x25 paper), or even the occasional stitched panoramic. But it also needs to sit in a compact space and survive going weeks or months without use, and it seems to take all that in stride. I can send out the bigger prints on the rare occasions I need them.

Rick "getting ready to buy some Harman 17x25 fiber glossy" Denney

David Aimone
16-Aug-2011, 09:24
If I buy before the end of the month, I am seriously leaning toward the 4900, as I can essentially get it at 54% off, with no tax or shipping.

I'm guessing the 4900 will endure longer, both from support and wear & tear standpoints?

Greg Lockrey
16-Aug-2011, 09:37
I'm guessing the 4900 will endure longer, both from support and wear & tear standpoints?

I wouldn't even consider this as an issue.... you'd have to run a lot more than I do for years at a time to even begin to consider it. If the 4900 is a better deal then go for it. You will be happy with either choice.

David Aimone
16-Aug-2011, 10:46
The 4900 and 3880 are essentially the same price until the end of august, so the better deal will be based on factors other than initial price... which is why I'm asking here if there are any true advantages of the 3880, a normally lower-priced unit.

Thanks!

I wouldn't even consider this as an issue.... you'd have to run a lot more than I do for years at a time to even begin to consider it. If the 4900 is a better deal then go for it. You will be happy with either choice.

rdenney
16-Aug-2011, 11:19
The 4900 and 3880 are essentially the same price until the end of august, so the better deal will be based on factors other than initial price... which is why I'm asking here if there are any true advantages of the 3880, a normally lower-priced unit.

Thanks!

It is considerably smaller and lighter. In my house, that's a true advantage!

Rick "who'd struggle to find room for a 4900" Denney

Greg Lockrey
16-Aug-2011, 11:19

Thanks!

I have the 4800 and 3800 basically one down grade from what you are looking at. The 3800 does a "cleaner" job of printing than the 4800. BUT you really have to look to see the difference. My 3800 is used primarily to print on gloss or semi gloss surfaces or when I do a run of two sided note cards. The 4800 is easier for me just to run a quick print no matter the size by setting the cut off where I need it. I found a neat way to get a gloss look is to just laminate it. Now, I print my "best" glossy on the 3800 using Harmon AI Gloss FB. It is better.... but again you have to get up close and compare the two side by side to see the differences which aren't that much except a little more detail comes through with the Harmon. Is it worth the extra cost? It's all up to you. There is no reason you can't use that 4900 on single sheet feed if you want that extra punch that Harmon gives. I'm not sure how the PK-MK changes are done or how expensive it is. It's easy on the 3800 by just selecting it, but there is a purge cycle that does use up ink. Now, my 9600 which is 8 years older prints 24 hours a day and drops prints into a collector and needs little babysitting during a run, still prints as well as the other two unless you get a 10x magnifying glass to look at it. So I'm not that much convinced that each generation of Epson actually prints all that much better than the one preceding it especially when you look at it from a normal viewing distance. At least I haven't seen the proof.

Chris Strobel
16-Aug-2011, 18:53

There is always Jon Cone at that juncture.Anyway to the op I have been using my 4800 on and off over 5 years now.Mostly used matte rag all that time.Started using gloss baryta papers bout a year ago.The printer has gone as long as 10 months without being used.Ive only had to do a power clean once in all that time.Its been a faithful workhorse when I get in printing mode.It sits on the epson companion stand I bought with it under a heavy duty Tumi cover when not in use powered on 24 7.I paid 2000.00 for it new.400.00 seems like a good deal to me.If it were for sale in driving distance from me Id buy it and turn it into a dedicated piezography printer for black and white.Is it in So Cal by any chance :}

Chris

photobymike
16-Aug-2011, 20:20
I have a 4800 epson. I like it, but we have had a long relationship. There is a learning curve to this printer. There are many features that are useful but are only documented in the manual. Like board printing, auto cut sheets, utilities that are available. It takes alot to get your 4800 to sing and dance. But it will be worth the effort. To me the only printer better would be 4880. I chose the 4800 over the 3800 because of the vacuum that holds the sheets down while printing, 3800 does not do this. Also the per sheet cost with the 4800 is the lowest i have researched. I am now exploring an order to the inkjet mall for supplies. The claims no color change to icc profiles. The secret to making your printer dance is making sure your monitor is calibrated.

http://www.mikepic.com

Peter De Smidt
16-Aug-2011, 20:45
If you have the space, I'd get the 4900. I have a 4880, and I've never regretted getting it over the 3880. Everything about the 4880 is heavier duty, and the ink costs are lower. In addition the vacuum hold down works very well. Moreover, while I haven't done it yet, I plan on printing some large panoramas, and the 4880 (or 4900) make this much easier than the 3880.

David Aimone
18-Aug-2011, 07:45
Ok, I pulled the trigger...by the way, thanks to everyone for their perspectives and info!

One Epson Pro 4900 Printer at $1149 total.
One Global Industrial 36x30" table to put it on.

Now, paper:

Suggestions for a good exhibition paper (Epson, Ilford, Moab, etc.)?

Suggestions for a good proofing paper?

Thanks!

Greg Lockrey
18-Aug-2011, 08:47
Ok, I pulled the trigger...by the way, thanks to everyone for their perspectives and info!

One Epson Pro 4900 Printer at $1149 total.
One Global Industrial 36x30" table to put it on.

Now, paper:

Suggestions for a good exhibition paper (Epson, Ilford, Moab, etc.)?

Suggestions for a good proofing paper?

Thanks!
Epson enhanced matte or presentation matte I think is what they are calling it now and their fine art papers either in textured or smooth and if gloss tricks your fancy Harmon Gloss AI FB. Forget proofing papers as they don't last. But being a 17" printer you might not get some of those in rolls. I run only Enhanced matte rolls in mine.

David Aimone
18-Aug-2011, 08:51
Greg,

Is a proofing paper worth using to make sure you have the tones you're looking for before committing to the good stuff?

Or is it not comparable even for practice printing?

David

Greg Lockrey
18-Aug-2011, 09:21
Greg,

Is a proofing paper worth using to make sure you have the tones you're looking for before committing to the good stuff?

David

The ink is your main cost. Enhanced Matte is inexpensive enough on the paper end. It's a great paper and I get very consistent results. Not as archival as Fine art paper but to me and to over 110 clients I have , they like it better unless some gallery has this fetish for Rag prints. You have to be aware that all papers do not print the same. Proofing is more about getting a offset press ready to run not worrying how it will look a week later. Not something you'd need. Proof on Enhanced Matt then run on the Harmon.... that makes sense. There is still some tweeking to do even then.

rdenney
18-Aug-2011, 19:24
Better to do your proofing on portions of the image and small pieces of paper, rather than on different paper. The paper changes the look enough so that using "proofing" paper will not tell you what you really want to know.

I test on 8x10, cutting out a piece of the image at full 16x20 size.

Rick "just about out of paper" Denney

Peter De Smidt
18-Aug-2011, 19:55
Do you want a MK paper or a PK one? If PK, I'd start with Epson Professional Semi-gloss. It's a good paper. Bill Atkinson, for example, uses it, and he's a stickler for quality. It will also feed well... You can use it to set a benchmark, and then you have something to compare other papers to. There are a lot of fancy papers, such as Ilford Gold Silk, Canson...oh, I can't even remember which one. These have a more luxurious feel than something like the Epson, and in a portfolio that might be a good thing. (Although if feel is very important, a cotton rag paper would win.) Behind glass, though, there probably wouldn't be such a huge difference. In addition, they are more likely to cause feeding issues. For example, the Ilford caused head strikes on one of my printers.

Greg Miller
19-Aug-2011, 20:31
Greg,

David

Printing a strip test is a good way to save paper. Just crop the image to a narrow strip that contains shadows and highlights and print that. Once you have the strip dialed in, you can print the full image once.

One thing you should do for each paper is print a step wedge (you can download one here (http://www.timgrey.com/books/ccdownloads.htm). Most importantly, look for the lowest black value where you can differentiate it from it's neighbor value. Before printing, use a Levels adjustment and set the output black value to this black value form the step wedge. This will ensure that you maintain shadow detail in all of your shadows. You can do the same thing for whites when printing on glossy paper. This ensures that ink gets laid down on the entire paper surface and will help reduce any gloss differential.

Greg Lockrey
20-Aug-2011, 03:49
Greg's was a good tip. My blacks on enhanced matte run at around 20 and whites are near 245 for example. Good to know to get the most out of you image. I use Qimage for setting my printer from 5" to 100' paper cut is a snap. You can also change the crop without actually doing it on a permanent basis as you do in Photoshop in order to make your small sample. . It has a lot of other neat features designed for ease of use and production. You can save a "job" in it also if you have some work that you may want to print again.

Jim Andrada
26-Aug-2011, 16:16
I have a 4880. I live in Arizona. I get lots of dried out heads. In spite of which I really like the printer. Just have to remember to print something every few days.