PDA

View Full Version : HP5 Rookie Question!

Mike 73
11-Aug-2011, 21:29
Hello All,

I am new to large format photography from 35mm and MF. I just started shooting with a Toyo 45G 4x5 camera. I am really excited to finally have taken the jump to this medium.

I am getting used to my new camera and have chosen HP5plus 400 4x5 film to get started. Right off the bat, I was stumped when it came to loading the film into my holders, regarding which side of the film is the emulsion side.

I did my due diligence and searched the forums. I found lots of great info, and also have read the Ilford tech sheet. I understand how to line up the film notches to get the emulsion side up. What throws me is that the 'up' side is silver in color, and to me looks like what I would expect the film 'backing' to look like. As a test, I shot two images, one with the film loaded silver side up (as instructed), and one loaded dark side up (emulsion side down). I expected one would develop fine, and one would fail. I was surprised to find both developed fine. Silver side up seems to have better density, dark side up seemed kind of thin. But both did produce negatives.

So, I am assuming the silver side is the emulsion side, as per everything I've read and from my testing, but I'm looking for someone to confirm my findings I guess, and maybe to explain what the silver coating is on the emulsion side.

thanks very much!

Zaitz
11-Aug-2011, 21:34
I've no idea the color but when the emulsion side is facing you the notches are in the top right corner.

Ansel - "The film is inserted emulsion side up, determined by locating the film's identifying code notch in the upper right hand corner."

You can probably expose the film decently backwards. With color film it's nicknamed redscaling :
http://microsites.lomography.com/redscalefilm/
http://www.flickr.com/groups/redscale/

Jon Shiu
11-Aug-2011, 22:03
Well, your not supposed to notice that one side is silver, since the film is only handled in complete darkness. But ever look at 35mm film? Notice which side is silver when you load it and which side is dark.

Jon

Mike 73
11-Aug-2011, 22:51
thanks, glad to know i'm not crazy, just confused!

Zaitz.. thanks for the info, I've never heard of 'redscaling', great to know about.

Jon.. yeah, I decided to waste a sheet when I got my film to check it out before trying to load any the first time;) thanks for the info, and i'll check out my next 35mm roll

Scotty230358
11-Aug-2011, 22:57
I am very surprised that both sheets of film came out fine. I once loaded a sheet of Adox CHS 100 back to front and it came out almost transparent.

John Kasaian
12-Aug-2011, 00:00
Notches in either the upper right corner or the lower left corner will get you where you want it.
The lower left is nice because if you forgot which film you've loaded,you candrop theflap(in the dark of course) and feel the notches without having to take the film out of the holder.:)

polyglot
12-Aug-2011, 00:13
Just to be slightly clearer, "notches in the upper right corner" tells you nothing about the film orientation. More to the point, you want notches in the right hand side of the top edge; if you have notches in the upper end of the right edge, the film will be backwards.

Some films will let some light through, some have a strong anti-halation layer that will soak up most of the light; I guess HP5 is more in the former camp.

Mike 73
12-Aug-2011, 16:15
Thanks everyone for the answers and info, it's all been very helpful.