PDA

View Full Version : Typical 1970's tripod used with a Sinar P?

Jeff Keller
11-Aug-2011, 10:15
For the life of me I can't think/find what would be a typical tripod used in the 1970's for a Sinar P 4x5. There are a lot of Sinar 4x5's being auctioned but few if any of the tripods look like they would have been typical of those used in the 1970's with a Sinar P 4x5.

Bogen/Manfrotto would seem to be a likely brand but most that are for sale seem rather wimpy and newer than 1970 vintage. Did the cameras outlast the tripods?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jeff Keller

Frank Petronio
11-Aug-2011, 10:23
Gitzo...

Frank Petronio
11-Aug-2011, 10:24
Foba in Europe

Peter De Smidt
11-Aug-2011, 10:40
Gitzo series 5. That's what came with my first Sinar P package. The gentleman that I bought it from bought everything as a package in the early 1970s from B&H. I still have the tripod. It's locks are not quite as smooth operating as a new one, but it still works fine.

Greg Lockrey
11-Aug-2011, 10:52
Gitzo Cremiallere 3 is what I used. Still have it. :)

Jeff Keller
11-Aug-2011, 10:56
Thank you Frank and Peter. A Gitzo series 5 makes sense. If someone has one in a studio, they probably keep it as long as they keep the studio. It seems there a many more Sinar P's than Gitzo series 5 tripods though.

A quick ebay search didn't show any Foba offered, but maybe an old tripod doesn't move across the Atlantic very often.

Peter De Smidt
11-Aug-2011, 11:05
You can also try searching for Gitzo Tele Studex.

Mine looks like the one here: http://cgi.ebay.com/GITZO-1505-TELE-STUDEX-TRIPOD-GEARED-COLUMN-SAVE-/220673949395?pt=US_Tripods&hash=item3361313ed3

except that I don't have a cremiallere column. (I have a sliding column and a flat plate.)

I also have a G 505, which is probably from the early 1990s, right before Gitzo stopped using rivets on the top tube. It's my main tripod.

A more recent version can be seen at: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/170834-REG/Gitzo_G1505_G1505_Tele_Studex_Tripod.html

Jeff Keller
11-Aug-2011, 11:06
Thanks Greg. I've seen a few old Gitzo Cremiallere 3 tripods. Nice looking tripods. I guess a studio doesn't have a windstorm blowing through it, so my expectation for a massive tripod could be a little off. Even though weight is not a detriment in a studio, the extra cost of the bigger brother might not be rewarded.

Jim Michael
11-Aug-2011, 11:45
Another option is a camera stand, which allows you to place the camera where you might have difficulty with a tripod.

Bob Salomon
11-Aug-2011, 12:15
Linhof Twin Shank, Linhof Heavy Duty Pro, Berlebach Uni, Bilora, Gitzo, Foba, large Bogen, Davis Sanford, Majestic, need any more?

And many studios put big Sinar and Linhofs on studio stands, not tripods. They were available from linhof, Foba, Cambo and many others.

Go over to Bear Images, they should have some of those support systems and they are in Palo Alto.

Peter De Smidt
11-Aug-2011, 14:55
If you do go the camera stand route, make sure it doesn't sway or move easily when locked down. In my experience, for example, Arkay camera stands are pretty loosey-goosey. I've worked with a Foba, though, and it was outstanding, although much more expensive than an Arkay.

Frank Petronio
11-Aug-2011, 15:26
The big old #5 Gitzo has been the staple of commercial shooters for a couple of generations now, it is not unusual to see a 35mm body on a big Gitzo. If you aren't backpacking it, then all that mass helps. The get down low and go super high, and merely bumping the tripod doesn't knock it off... so when in doubt, go larger.

The Sinar Pan Tilt head, as has been mentioned many times before, works really well between the Gitzo and a Sinar camera. Better than the Gitzo heads... but the large #5 low-profile Gitzo head is a very nice head for other large cameras, especially those with a flat bed.

And yes the >$1000 Arkay stands are nice for positioning a camera over something and will work OK for 4x5 but they are definitely loose compared to the much heavier and better built European stands.

The Tiltall, at least in the USA, is also a fine, vintage design that is still very useful -- lots of mass and stability. More of a Chicago than Basel design style, goes well with old Deardorffs and Calumet C1s.

Bob Salomon
11-Aug-2011, 15:39
"The Tiltall, at least in the USA, is also a fine, vintage design that is still very useful -- lots of mass and stability. More of a Chicago than Basel design style,"

Actually a Rutherford, NJ design and it did not adequetly support a Norma or a Technika much less a P.

Frank Petronio
11-Aug-2011, 18:04
Sorry meant majestic, not tiltall....

DrTang
15-Aug-2011, 09:33
Majestics were what all the Brooks Students were using ..maybe an occassional Husky Quickset

Don Dudenbostel
16-Aug-2011, 18:27
I used a Linhof Twin Shank, then Heavy Duty Pro and later a double shank Majestic and on the past twenty eight years a variety of Gitzo.

jbog
18-Aug-2011, 19:32
I vote for Majestic. They've been in business for over 60 years. Their geared heads can't be beat. I have 2 of their tripods & 3 of the heads. You can sometimes get a real deal on eBay. I won my first majestic tripod & head on eBay for $60.00. Just have patience & keep looking.

http://www.bencher.com/majestic/tripod/tripod.html

>>> Jim

jbog
20-Aug-2011, 20:02
Here's a better Majestic link >>>

>>>>>>> http://www.bencher.com/majestic/frames/frameset.html

>>> Jim