PDA

View Full Version : 19 year old boy/man? from Sweden called David

slayvid
9-Aug-2011, 12:05
Hello large format users (addicts). My name is David and I currently reside in Sweden.
I started shooting 35mm film at the age of 4 (Of course at that time I wasn't serious.)
This lingered on until the age of 16 when I switched all of my old gear for a medium format one.
At the age of 17 i grew tired of studying but my grades weren't good enough for a decent photography college. And so come the age of 18 and this is when i start my first year at a community college.
Best decision of my life!

This is where I found my love for Large format photography.
During the end of my first year I was shooting 4x5's like a mudderfukker.
But soon i realized this wasn't enough for me.
I needed bigger. So that is why I bought my self an old 18x24 cm Chambre de voyage with a Rodenstock Hemi Anastigmat.
In just a few weeks now I am going back to the very same community college that got me hooked. This year however I am going to go old old school and begin my studies on 17th - 18th century photographic processes, Photographic history and Photographic journalism/documentation.

There is my introduction and now i want to end my introduction by saying that there is no other site like this. So much information cramed into my tiny computer screen is quite a marvel. Anyways thank you for being around largeformatphotography.com and all of its users (addicts).

Jay DeFehr
9-Aug-2011, 12:08
David,

Welcome! Enjoy your courses, though your 17th-18th Century Photographic Processes course might be shorter than you expect.

Vaughn
9-Aug-2011, 12:16
Welcome David! As Jay pointed out, the 17th and 18th Centuries are the 1600's and 1700's, so I assume you meant 19th and 20th Centuries.

I make carbon prints and platinum prints (and today, hopefully some salt prints). Have fun!

Vaughn

E. von Hoegh
9-Aug-2011, 12:47
Best to you, David. I jumped on the LF train when I was about 25, which was 1986... (that's in the 20th century, BTW). There was no internet, worldwide web, or any of that. There were, however, a few knowledgeable pros and ex pros in the area who gave me advice that was so good it took me a couple years to understand it.

Good luck

Scott Davis
10-Aug-2011, 11:42
Welcome to the Forum, David, and kudos for your enthusiasm. You've started down the garden path and I expect that soon you'll be pining for an 11x14 inch camera and making hand-coated platinum and gum prints or some variation thereof... Enjoy!

slayvid
16-Aug-2011, 12:51
Thank you all for that warm welcome. And yes i meant 19th and 20th century of course. Lol
The pining started long ago. But i just know that is i start down the 11x14 path i might just aswell go straight for the mammoth 20x24. So until my wallet lets me i will have to settle for the 18x24!

Raidahl
17-Aug-2011, 03:33
Welcome also here from Finland, we are so almost neighbours ;)

slayvid
17-Aug-2011, 03:55
True. I love finland its a lovely country. Although a bit flat for my taste but the inhabitants are always so welcoming in Finland

Joakim Ahnfelt
17-Aug-2011, 08:56
Welcome David. Where in Sweden are you?

slayvid
17-Aug-2011, 10:39
I am currently living in a small rather quaint town called Hudiksvall not far from Gävle which is quite a bit from Göteborg.