PDA

View Full Version : What Model is this Gitzo?

Dumdumkc
8-Aug-2011, 10:00
Hi all,

I just joined this forum because I just got in love with cameras, any way, over the weekend on a yard sale, I just picked this lovely looks antique Gitzo, but I have no idea what model is each part except the head, NO4 very obvious. Any way, can any one tell what this model is?

Thanks,

Dumdumkc
8-Aug-2011, 10:02
here are more photos

Frank Petronio
8-Aug-2011, 10:19
Measure the length of the closed tripod from the feet to the top of the tripod platform.

Measure the length of it extended, without the center column extended.

Measure the length of the center column.

It has the smaller platform 3-way head, the geared Cremaillere column, the Rapid leg-spreading feature (always a good thing in a tripod at least....) and it looks about like the old R410 or 413 model to me, but without those measurements there is no way to be certain. But why does the model number matter at this point?

It is from the 1980s, hardly an antique. The Gitzo number 4 series tripods are capable of holding most 8x10 and smaller cameras quite effectively, although it may be overkill for smaller formats and backpacking ;-p

As long as the rubber twist locks are good and everything slides nicely, it is as functional as ever, and spare parts are still available. Most people pay around $150 to $250 for one depending on condition. The closest model newer one is going to be $600-plus.

I think Gitzo discontinued the 4-series, leaving us the 3- and 5-series in aluminum and carbon-fiber. They really haven't changed the aluminum ones much other than the darker finish and slightly nicer twist locks.

Even if you use a lighter tripod more often, it is nice to have a solid, tall one for working out of the car, getting over fences, etc.

darr
8-Aug-2011, 10:22
It looks like my Pro-Studex with Rational 4 head that I purchased new in the '80s. The only difference is the end of the column where it looks like there is an additional screw head and a crank.

Dumdumkc
8-Aug-2011, 11:45
thanks for the reply, the head is 7" tall, the column is 24" long.
The highest it goes is 82 1/2" with the head, without full extend the column is 72" and the lowest it goes is 24"
But wonder why it doesn't have any model number on the tripod at all. Sadly the seller told me he bought this brand new in 2005 and told me this is the last version from France, rare, etc etc, so I paid 400 for this hahahaa, really newbies. I should have done more research before I buy next time.

Frank Petronio
8-Aug-2011, 14:31
Yep it was bizarre but they would usually only have a sticker on the leg for model ID. Yours is worth $400, it looks near mint so don't feel bad. I just wouldn't pay that much myself, I am a bottom feeder.

Now to get yourself a nice 8x10 Ebony and some Schneider XL lenses for it ;-)

darr
8-Aug-2011, 14:38
The older aluminum models (I pretty sure yours is aluminum) did not have a model sticker on it like the newer ones do. Your column is different looking as it appears to be a Rapid-Model, but then it has a crank, but no teeth? There were/are many different ways to configure the Gitzos. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

John Koehrer
8-Aug-2011, 15:32
You can measure the largest leg diameter, that was also a determining factor in models.
The series 5 has 1 1/2" diameter. Series 4 is either 1 1/4 or 1 1/8" I think.
Bothe of those series take the same size cremailliere column, rapid column and flat plate. Both columns require their own style mounting plate.The cremaillere has a worm type elevation adjustment and is extremely smooth. It doesn't fall even if you don't tighten the lock.
At the bottom of the crank there's a collar on the base of the column to adjust tension on the crank to make it easier or harder to adjust. The screw on the bottom is a standard head mount fo low level use with the longer columns. With the flat plate it's only three or four inches.
I have no idea why they changed model numbers so often, I believe it was to coinfuse camera salesmen.

Dumdumkc
8-Aug-2011, 16:14
Thank you all again,
After I measure the dia of the largest leg. It is 1 7/16" I guess I can assume this is 1 1/2" refer to pictures below.
Yes it does have teeth, also it crank up and down very smoothly, I really love the built quality of this Aluminum tripod, but just a little heavy than what I really wanted it to be.

Frank Petronio
8-Aug-2011, 16:24
The old 5-series had twistable "wings" on the largest legs rather than the rubber twists... then Gitzo added wings to the metal 3s and 4s in the 1990s. So you definitely do not have a 5, and give that the head has a large #4 molded into it and looks proportional to the rest of the tripod... you have a #4xx.

Before they gave them numbers, they use run-on names like Studex, Performance, Reporter, Giant, Lux, Sport.... if you Google vintage Gitzo names you can decode it.

Peter De Smidt
8-Aug-2011, 16:25
You can always replace the center column with a flat plate to save some weight. It looks like a regular Series V plate would work, but you should measure and call Gitzo to confirm. A regular slide post would weigh a little less.

Weight isn't such a bad thing when it comes to tripods, as weight usually indicates greater stability.

Frank is right about the "wings". Actually, I'd prefer that my Gitzo's didn't have them. The regular locks allow plenty of torque, and the wings add more bulk.

Dumdumkc
8-Aug-2011, 17:52
thanks for further information, but when you mention the "wing" I am a bit lost is that the hand twist? Or what do you mean by the wing?

Peter De Smidt
8-Aug-2011, 18:19
http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae37/peterdesmidt/Capture.jpg

You can see the "wings" in the included picture. They are part of the locking collar for the largest joint.

Dumdumkc
8-Aug-2011, 19:53
I see, thank you,

darr
8-Aug-2011, 20:06
Here is a listing of Gitzos:
http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Gitzo_tripods

Dumdumkc
8-Aug-2011, 22:15
Cool, so this is surly a 4 pro studex but just don't know which exact Model type name. Any way, thanks,

John Koehrer
9-Aug-2011, 11:58
Just to clarify/cloud more Gitzo trivia, The "performance" in the description always indicated spreadable legs. Compact indicated a shorter collapsed length.

The one I have is about 37" collapsed. I believe there were some shorter than the one you have too.

Dumdumkc
11-Aug-2011, 12:23
I just got a new head for this tripod to attached my DSLR.
The tripod is super stable, even I tilted it vertically I still feel confidence with it.
We can finally take some family pictures. Super happy now.

Frank Petronio
11-Aug-2011, 15:35
haha while that head is probably more than sufficient, it's pretty funny to see such a small head on such a large tripod.

Dumdumkc
11-Aug-2011, 15:58
I know it is a little out proportion :)

Professional
14-Aug-2011, 19:51
Go with RRS or Markins head and RRS clamp and buy L-plate for your camera and you will be singing in the heaven, i have those and i couldn't be happier, just wish to have L plate for 4x5 but i remember that i can flip or have convertible back for my 4x5 [not the graphics one].

Yardley
17-Aug-2011, 18:56
The old 5-series had twistable "wings" on the largest legs rather than the rubber twists... then Gitzo added wings to the metal 3s and 4s in the 1990s. So you definitely do not have a 5, and give that the head has a large #4 molded into it and looks proportional to the rest of the tripod... you have a #4xx.

Before they gave them numbers, they use run-on names like Studex, Performance, Reporter, Giant, Lux, Sport.... if you Google vintage Gitzo names you can decode it.

I have an older Compac Studex with 1 1/2" Dia. legs (4 sections). The legs have rubber grips, no wings. The only Wings are on the center column.

tonyespofoto
2-Feb-2012, 15:17
It is a Model 505C, as it says in the title. Back before Gitzo was bought by Manfrotto, the model #s were different. It was also known as a Tele Studex Compact. The Cremaillere section is the removable geared riser.