PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix Lens Shade

Two23
7-Aug-2011, 21:23
Looking for a lens shade for my Chamonix 4x5. They don't make one. What else is available? I use lenses from 90mm to 300mm.

Kent in SD

GPS
8-Aug-2011, 01:32
Ever heard of compendium lens shades?
The reason that there are not lens shades made for LF lenses is simply the fact that these lenses are used with movements and for different film formats which severely limits the efficiency of a given lens shade. If you made a lens shade for a specific lens used with movements such a lens shade would be of poor efficiency. Even a compendium is a compromise but a useful one.
Home made lens shades can be excellent but not many LF photographers go to that length. Most just use pitiful means to shade their lenses...

Two23
8-Aug-2011, 05:57
A compendium is what I had in mind. Shen Hao made one for their 4x5. Also had one for my Cambo 45NX. I would have thought Chamonix had them too.

Kent in SD

vinny
8-Aug-2011, 07:41
try searching your title here. this came up a month or so ago and I posted pics of my solutions.

Steve M Hostetter
8-Aug-2011, 08:13
there is no pitiful way to shade your lens as long as you remember to do it..!

I might get an ebony flag on articulated arm..

Steve M Hostetter
8-Aug-2011, 08:15

GPS
8-Aug-2011, 08:44

That's why any shading is equal, isn't it..?:rolleyes:

John Koehrer
9-Aug-2011, 11:43
I came across a newer Mamiya Rb shade that mounts on 77mm threads and with an adapted it will fit all both :P my lenses.

GPS
9-Aug-2011, 11:55
I came across a newer Mamiya Rb shade that mounts on 77mm threads and with an adapted it will fit all both :P my lenses.

I believe you that it might fit but the efficiency of these lens shades is very compromised on different film formats and lens focal lengths. Much better is to use the mount with your own home made lens shade...;)

Dave Hally
9-Aug-2011, 16:16
I've got a compendium from my Toyo 45A that I am going to try to adapt to my Chamonix. The Chammy has a accessory shoe on top of the front standard, and the Toyo shade has a screw coming down through the pivot/mount. I am going to cut a square of aluminum to fit the accessory shoe that I can screw the shade mount to. I think it will line up pretty close.
I'll check measurements tonight and see if it will work.
Dave

Two23
9-Aug-2011, 17:29
I've got a compendium from my Toyo 45A that I am going to try to adapt to my Chamonix. The Chammy has a accessory shoe on top of the front standard, and the Toyo shade has a screw coming down through the pivot/mount. I am going to cut a square of aluminum to fit the accessory shoe that I can screw the shade mount to. I think it will line up pretty close.
I'll check measurements tonight and see if it will work.
Dave

Let me know how it works out. :cool:

Kent in SD

Steve M Hostetter
10-Aug-2011, 09:39
That's why any shading is equal, isn't it..?:rolleyes:

nothing more elaberate then you'd see in the motion picture industry ,, simple horizontal barndoor shade and a flag from the position of every light source

Dave Hally
23-Aug-2011, 12:47
[QUOTE=Two23;761800]Let me know how it works out. :cool:

Well it will work, I made a wooden piece that slides into the Chamonix Accessory shoe on the front standard. This piece mounts to the Toyo hood mounting bracket with a flat head screw and nut. The hood looks centered on the lens board opening, so it should work fine with my lenses, which all have boards with centered holes. I need to get a longer screw to try it out in the firld, and then make the adapter out of aluminum, as the wood piece probably won't hold up for long. I'll try to get pics up soon.
Dave

GPS
23-Aug-2011, 13:41
nothing more elaberate then you'd see in the motion picture industry ,, simple horizontal barndoor shade and a flag from the position of every light source

I see. So you go and distribute flags on every light source when you take shots with your view camera. Somehow I had that impression...;)

Joseph Dickerson
23-Aug-2011, 16:03
Lee also makes a shade/compendium that fits into the Cokin P holder. It's internally stiffened so that you can flex it to allow for front movements.

A
Just another option, although yours sounds pretty workable, not to mention elegant.

JD

Dave Hally
2-Sep-2011, 17:06
Here are some pics of my Toyo Field Hood on my Chamonix 45n-2. This is with the wooden adapter plate to test the concept. I will now try to machine one in aluminum. It is not as centered as I thought it would be, but still works up to my largest lens, which is shown. People using off set Technika boards may not be able to do it this way.

chassis
3-Sep-2011, 12:36
Too cool! Another good use for surplus paint stir sticks. ;)

GPS
3-Sep-2011, 13:01
Here are some pics of my Toyo Field Hood on my Chamonix 45n-2. This is with the wooden adapter plate to test the concept. I will now try to machine one in aluminum. It is not as centered as I thought it would be, but still works up to my largest lens, which is shown. People using off set Technika boards may not be able to do it this way.

Dave, it's completely unnecessary to have such a heavy beast on the front standard. Because the hood doesn't change its frame dimension (as a more efficient hood should do) and you only move it forward or backward you would get the same shading effect if you simply attach on the front standard (there are many ways to do so) flocking paper with the same circumference and length. You can make it with two parts sliding on each other to be able to change the length. Such a custom made shade would be much lighter and gentler to the standard.

Dave Hally
3-Sep-2011, 19:44
Too cool! Another good use for surplus paint stir sticks. ;)

It wasn't a paint stick! It was a piece of kindling.:)

Dave Hally
3-Sep-2011, 19:48
Dave, it's completely unnecessary to have such a heavy beast on the front standard. Because the hood doesn't change its frame dimension (as a more efficient hood should do) and you only move it forward or backward you would get the same shading effect if you simply attach on the front standard (there are many ways to do so) flocking paper with the same circumference and length. You can make it with two parts sliding on each other to be able to change the length. Such a custom made shade would be much lighter and gentler to the standard.

Yeah, but I have this,and it works. I also have some barn doors when I need something lightweight.

David R Munson
5-Sep-2011, 07:19
I have a Mamiya bellows shade that is adjustable in length and it does a fine job. It is not, as GPS's post would suggest, overly heavy and does not put undue strain on anything. Is it the most efficient shade there is? No, but it sure is convenient, durable, versatile, and (like Dave Hally notes) I already have it. Any moderately effective hood is a notable improvement over no hood. Still, most of the time I just shade with the darkslide, and that has always worked more than well enough.