PDA

View Full Version : Fomapan vs. Ilford Delta

KyledeC
7-Aug-2011, 14:40
I am comparing Fomapan 100 4x5 and Ilford Delta 100 4x5.

I was wondering if anyone has any input on which is a better film for nature photography.

Thank you!

Armin Seeholzer
7-Aug-2011, 14:55
Ilford Delta without any doubt! But I can only speak for me not for you!

Cheers Armin

Greg Blank
7-Aug-2011, 14:57
I concur, Ilford Delta.

BarryS
7-Aug-2011, 19:10
Ilford Delta 100 is the superior film, with T-grains, a modern hardened emulsion, and good reciprocity characteristics. Fomapan emulsions are soft and tend to have more inclusions, which can be problematic for enlarging or scanning. Fomapan 100 is nice in 8x10 for alt process contact printing where small defects in the emulsion aren't noticeable and the price is very reasonable.

Scotty230358
8-Aug-2011, 00:58
In my experience Ilford Delta is the more reliable of the two. I have experienced processing problems with Fomapan in Pyrocat HD that were solved by using distilled water to mix the working solution, whereas I can get away with filtered water with the Ilford Delta. Fomapan builds contrast fairly quickly so reduced development is called for. I develop it for 11 minutes in Pyrocat (thanks to Ian Grant for his advice on development times for this film). Fomapan has a different look to Ilford Delta that I find attractive for landscapes especially in slightly flat lighting where the contrasty nature of this film can be a boon. Also Fomapan's reciprocity characteristics are not that impressive. Reciprocity failure happens at speeds as fast as 1/2 a second.

jonnymark
8-Aug-2011, 02:07
i'm thinking about buying some ADOX CHM 125 (which is relabeled Ilford FP4!) or maybe some Fomapan 200 in 135 format.
Price would be more or less the same, because the ADOX has date for last using 2008 (which i don't care).

miss_emma_jade
13-Aug-2011, 07:57
Fomapan is cheaper and more fun. is a bit soft though. what about shanghai instead? my current fav. film. is only 100 speed though.
EMMA

Ari
13-Aug-2011, 08:01
Shanghai can be a very good film, but after a year of shooting it, and trying TMax 400 for a week, I realised how inconsistent Shanghai can be, with regards to exposure and development.
I'd happily buy it again, but I wouldn't use it for critical work.

l2oBiN
14-Aug-2011, 09:00
Ilford delta is superior, but so is the expense. It depends on what you want to do. Fomapan processes very nicely in xtol 1:1 using rotary processing, but I find it does not have the exposure latitude of the delta.

Professional
14-Aug-2011, 20:29
Go with Acros 100 or TMAX 100, FP4+ or Pan F+, i stopped to use Delta once i used Acros/TMAX and HP5+ films

John Kasaian
14-Aug-2011, 21:08
Apples and oranges. Fomapan is old (very old) school, Delta is high-tech t-grain (thats Kodak-speak, I think Ilford called it something else) Try them both and use what you prefer!