PDA

View Full Version : Photographing in Jackson Hole, WY

Sizam
7-Aug-2011, 10:00
I realized it'd be helpful to ask around about good shooting locations in Jackson Hole, WY before I get there. Has anybody been to the area or is familiar w/it w/an eye on photography? Where are some old barns/homesteads/wooden fences that are accessible to photograph, what are good spots to photograph the tetons?

Thanks,
Sam

Steve M Hostetter
7-Aug-2011, 10:26
Hello Sam,

There will be pull offs every so often along the highway.. I remember using a 480mm on 8x10" cam and seeing a bald eagle .. To bad he didn't get in frame
I would take a couple days to get to know the place, relax and then start out early and late..
steve

Erik Larsen
7-Aug-2011, 10:28
Mormon row for barns, schwabacher landing for the cliche Teton shot. Beautiful place, use your imagination when you get there. It's a sunrise kind of place.
Have fun!
Erik

lenser
7-Aug-2011, 10:38
Popular and often crowded spots, but still worthwhile are: The Snake River overlook with the Cathedral Group in the back ground, anything along Jenny, String or Jackson Lakes, the view of Mt. Moran from the drive up to the summit of Signal Mt., and one of my favorite spots is the Oxbow bend area on the Snake River fairly close to Jenny Lake Lodge. There are also a few nice waterfalls on a fairly short hiking and riding trail just up from one of the lakes. Can't remember the name, but ask around about horseback riding services to the falls and that should easily get you to the trail head.

As Steve indicated, there are several turn outs and pretty much all of them provide interesting views.

Take all the back roads you can find because there are beautiful forests that often open up into vistas of the mountains framed by Aspens and wonderful foregrounds of wildflowers in season.

The drive over to Driggs, Idaho offers some good views as well, especially once you get to the Teton River (little more than a creek actually) which offers some more intimate scenes as well as some pretty good Brook Trout fishing if you are willing to literally crawl up to the water on hands and knees so they don't see your approach. Last time I fished there was in the late 70's so check the regs to be sure it is still allowed.

Adams did a fair amount of work up in the Tetons, so looking into his images might add a few more spots to aim for.

Both 'Spencer's Mountain' (Henry Fonda and Maureen O'Hara) and 'Shane' (Alan Ladd,and Van Heflin) were filmed in the valley. Great films and the backgrounds may offer you some other ideas.

Going east a few miles into the Wind River range of the Rockies is also very worthwhile. (The Wind River Mts. are basically the eastern wall of the valley). Less dramatic than the Tetons, but quite beautiful on their own. The trip back to the Tetons offers some pretty dramatic views.

Sizam
7-Aug-2011, 11:23
Great tips guys, I'll start mapping out those spots.

paulr
7-Aug-2011, 11:27
The summit of Teewinot.
The Alaska Basin.
Across the valley in the rolling hills of the Gros Ventre.

madmax12
8-Aug-2011, 06:48
Grey's river valley is beautiful if you go to the summit you can photo the rivers both east and west at he same time