PDA

View Full Version : G Claron Lens shutter

Pawlowski6132
6-Aug-2011, 08:28
So, I have a 305 G-Claron in an Ilex #3 Shutter. I want to swap the shutter. My understanding that, usually, shutters being used for the Schneider 240/420 convertible lens are perfect matches. (Although, I have a set of 240/420 cells and they don't seem to fit in my Ilex #3 shutter so...)

I found this lens/shutter combination and have bought it. But, on second thought, does the fact that this is a Technika Linhof mean that the dimensions may be different than standard??????

Or, in other words, am I hosed?

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Joe P.

Dan Fromm
6-Aug-2011, 08:50
That's not an Ilex, it is a Compur. The 305/9 G-Claron was supplied in a #1 (Compur/Copal/Prontor) standard.

Your 240 Symmar is in a #2 Compur.

You're confused, might be hosed too.

Pawlowski6132
6-Aug-2011, 08:53
That's not an Ilex, it is a Compur. The 305/9 G-Claron was supplied in a #1 (Compur/Copal/Prontor) standard.

Your 240 Symmar is in a #2 Compur.

You're confused, might be hosed too.

I currently have an Ilex #3 (not pictured). Pictured is the replacement I bought (on its way). Later models of the 305/9 came in standard #1 size but not the earlier ones.

Earlier ones came in a Compur #2 shutter size which is relatively rare today. But, can be found with 240/420 convertibles mounted to it like the one I bought (pictured)

My questions is, does the Linhof version have standard specs? Can I expect to be able to use it?

I'm not confused but, my writing is certainly confusing.

:^(

thanx

Pawlowski6132
6-Aug-2011, 08:56
I guess a more generic way to ask my question is, is the fact that this lens/shutter combination is branded Technika Linhof explicityly imply that the lens and shutter dimensions are anything other than the expected standard dimensions of the non private label products?

Dan Fromm
6-Aug-2011, 09:15
Ilex shutters don't conform to the Compur/Copal/Standard. To find all of these shutters' dimensions, go to www.skgrimes.com and look around.

Why are you trying to replace an Ilex #3 with a Compur #2. Cells that fit one won't fit the other.

You're right, dagor type 305 G-Clarons were fitted to #2 Compurs. I assumed you had the more common plasmat type.

AFAIK Linhof-badged Compur shutters conform to the Compur standard. You're lucky, there are variations and the 305/9 dagor type G-Claron and 240/5.6 Symmar both use the Compur #2 5/2.

Pawlowski6132
6-Aug-2011, 09:20
Thanx Dan. So, you think I'm ok then. Cool.

I hear what you're saying about the Ilex vs Comput but, my 305/9 does work in my Ilex #3. I'm changing because I don't lik the self-cocking mechanisim of the Ilex and, I think it's pretty slow.