PDA

View Full Version : False Kiva

Don Kellogg
6-Aug-2011, 07:55
I am contemplating a trip to the Moab area of Utah this fall. I would like to know the degree of difficulty getting to the False Kiva site. I know that this is a Class II archeological site and the directions are not published but the Rangers in the Islands in the Sky Visitor Center will tell you where it is. How long a hike is it? I have heard about people getting lost, is the trail or path reasonably obvious? I have heard the the view faces South---would a morning or evening shot be best? Any other tips would be appreciated. Thanks, Don Kellogg

Erik Larsen
6-Aug-2011, 08:44
Hi Don,

False Kiva is a pretty good workout to get to. The trail is cairned so it would be hard to get lost unless it's dark. A lot of loose rock and a steep uphill at the very end of the trail is the hardest part imo. If you take your time and walk a normal pace it will probably take you 1/2 hour to get there and maybe 45 minutes to get back. It's not that long but there's a lot of uphill/downhill hiking involved. I haven't been in the morning, but I believe that it would be in full shade in the am. It also is in shade at sunset. If you want any light on the ruins, late afternoon is the best imo. I haven't been in the fall so I can't tell you exactly where the sun will be. I've been in the summer and winter and late afternoon was best. It will be a fairly contrasty photo so be prepared unless it's overcast.

have fun
regards
erik