PDA

View Full Version : Availability of lith film??

Bob Farr
4-Aug-2011, 08:07
Freestyle no longer has lith film. Are there other sources??

Thanks,
Bob

BetterSense
4-Aug-2011, 08:28
I noticed the same thing. I wanted to buy some 8x10 and was disappointed to find the Arista stuff is gone. I was pointed to ultrafineonline but the price is so high, I could literally buy 8x10 pictorial film cheaper.

Bob Farr
4-Aug-2011, 08:38
The staff at Freestyle referred me to Efke Print Film, also very expensive. Though it can be used with a safelight.

Thanks, I'll look at Ultrafine.

Bob Farr
4-Aug-2011, 08:51
Hi,

Just talked to a salesperson at Photo Warehouse and they do have ortho film. They may also be able to cut it to specific size as required.

Bob

Jay DeFehr
4-Aug-2011, 09:47
http://www.ultrafineonline.com/ulorlifi8x10.html

It doesn't look expensive to me.

rdenney
4-Aug-2011, 10:49
The question has come up recently: Are any of these films being mentioned like the old Kodalith? It's been a long time since I used Kodalith (like 30 years), but it would produce opaque blacks better than any ortho copy film I tried as an alternative. I realize nobody would use it commercially for its intended purpose (with all that stuff being now done by computer), but I'm curious just the same.

Rick "who did a lot of graphic-arts project with Kodalith back in the day" Denney

Drew Wiley
4-Aug-2011, 11:43
The late version of Arista was similar to Kodalith but even better, primarily because it
had a slight texture to facilitate vacuum draw and eliminate Newton rings. I'll have to
check to see how much of the Arista I have left, and after that it's into my expensive
stack of 8X10 TechPan. I use these films for highlight masking.

Jay DeFehr
4-Aug-2011, 11:45
I don't know, Rick, I've never used Kodalith. I use lith film for pictorial use, in-camera, but I plan to test it for making enlarged negatives, too. I use my own low contrast developer with these kinds of films, and can tune the developer to produce the contrast I need for my printing process. I've not had any problems getting enough density for any process I use.

rdenney
4-Aug-2011, 13:28
The late version of Arista was similar to Kodalith but even better, primarily because it
had a slight texture to facilitate vacuum draw and eliminate Newton rings. I'll have to
check to see how much of the Arista I have left, and after that it's into my expensive
stack of 8X10 TechPan. I use these films for highlight masking.

I used them for graphic arts, and went to it after giving up on Kodak High-Contrast Copy film back in the day. But HCC film was still continuous tone, while Kodalith was line film, intended for a curve that was near vertical with extremely short toe and shoulder when used with its developer. Seems a bit extreme for masking, but I know it could be developed for continuous tone. The Photographer's Formulary still has developer for it.

Rick "reliving old times" Denney

Drew Wiley
4-Aug-2011, 13:56
For highlight masking you want either total black or clear, with an almost vertical characteristic curve in lith developer. For contrast masking per se, lith film is a poor choice, and is virtually worthless for contrast masking color film midtones because it is
not panchromatic.

BetterSense
4-Aug-2011, 14:26
I guess I don't understand what you mean by "highlight masking". I had assumed it was to bring down highlight contrast, but if you want a total black or clear, then it must be a different technique.

andreios
4-Aug-2011, 14:30
For those on the old continent - look up Wolfgang Moersch's website where he offers Wephota F05 film (in many sizes) which is similar to the late Arista APHS film.

rdenney
4-Aug-2011, 14:40
For highlight masking you want either total black or clear, with an almost vertical characteristic curve in lith developer. For contrast masking per se, lith film is a poor choice, and is virtually worthless for contrast masking color film midtones because it is
not panchromatic.

Okay--thanks for the clarification. I was thinking contrast masking. What do you do with highlight masking?

Rick "now curious" Denney

Drew Wiley
4-Aug-2011, 15:39
A highlight mask is generally exposed first and then used to block any density in the contrast mask itself. The idea is to protect the totally white sparkle of the specular highlights etc. A good idea in Ciba printing where a very dense contrast mask is often required. In dye transfer printing, it is used to reduce unwanted color casting in the upper whites. For incidental highlight masking one can simply use an opaque black marker on the diffusion sheet where needed and skip lith film entirely.

JR Steel
4-Aug-2011, 19:21
Check out Badger Graphics. They have an Ortho Halftone Grade film they call Lith Camera Film. It is pretty reasonable. They listed it in their Graphic Arts catalog but you have to call them to order it. 800-558-5350

BTW, lith film can be used as a masking film for continuous tone negatives if you develop it in very dilute Dektol, maybe 1:40. Can be developed by inspection in red light.

rdenney
5-Aug-2011, 07:03
The idea is to protect the totally white sparkle of the specular highlights etc.

Ah--that unlocks the mystery for me. Thanks.

Rick "who deals with that issue in Photoshop, too" Denney