PDA

View Full Version : Beseler 45s vs. Cold Light - Opinions

DanK
1-Aug-2011, 17:00
I have a chance to pick up a nice older 45s head for my Beseler 45m .

Currently use a Zone VI cold light, any benefits to the 45s over a cold light?

Thanks,
Dan

jeroldharter
1-Aug-2011, 17:32
Is your cold light a variable contrast cold light?

If it is, then I would say it is a wash. Advantages of the 45S include no need for warmup time, brighter light and shorter exposures, inexpensive bulb replacement. Disadvantages are the noise from the fan and the heat from the lamp which can warm up a small room in the summer.

If you have a standard cold light, then I would get the Beseler. Ability to adjust contrast on the fly is a big advantage.

Robert Ley
2-Aug-2011, 06:12
I have the 45s head and it works very well with VC paper. The big advantage is that you can also do color. I have never used a cold light head, but I can't imagine that there is that great a difference in the quality of the light, but I am sure someone will point out the benefits of the cold light over the 45s :rolleyes:

bigdog
2-Aug-2011, 08:53
In the "for-what-it's-worth" department: When I got a Beseler 4x5 a few years back, it came with both a Zone VI cold light and a Beseler "Universal" computerized head. I sold them both and bought a 45S.

DanK
2-Aug-2011, 09:12
Thanks all for the input....Appreciate it...

Has anyone had problems with the fan - vibrations, focus problems, etc? Little leary of a moving part on the head.

Thanks,
Dan

tgtaylor
2-Aug-2011, 09:46
Hi Dan,

I have been using the 45S for a few years now and while the fan does make noise when running (it's a good fan that really pulls the heat away from the negative), there are no noticeable vibrations visible in the grain focus and, contrary to what was stated above, I haven't noticed any heating-up of my enlarging area when working. But then I only have the bulb (250W halogen) on to focus and expose; it's off most of the time.

Thomas

dsphotog
2-Aug-2011, 11:39
What Tom said +1.

Jim Noel
2-Aug-2011, 12:35
If you are looking to use variable contrast a color head is a poor answer. IN most cases they will give a range of about grade 1.5 - 3.5. A variable cold light is by far the superior solution to the problem. I prefer the VC-CLS, but the Ilford head and the Aristo variable contrast work well also.

ic-racer
2-Aug-2011, 18:36
If you are looking to do multigrade printing a color head is your best bet. You have independent control of yellow and magenta so you can print across grades with any pivot tone you prefer with any paper out there. The dedicated multigrade heads, in many cases, have a fixed pivot tone and are calibrated for specific papers.

Roger Cole
2-Aug-2011, 18:42
If you are looking to use variable contrast a color head is a poor answer. IN most cases they will give a range of about grade 1.5 - 3.5. A variable cold light is by far the superior solution to the problem. I prefer the VC-CLS, but the Ilford head and the Aristo variable contrast work well also.

Even if that's true (anyone else?) you could add under lens filters if needed.

George Richards
2-Aug-2011, 18:59
I picked up a 45s recently that had sat unused for 6 or 7 years. The rubber mounts that hold the fan in place had crumbled. When I first turned it on it was very quiet - the fan had dropped and jammed. After I figured out something was wrong it was an easy fix with some high density foam and rubber cement.

I seem to recall another post somewhere about the fan mounts failing so you might want to check them out - at least make sure the fan is turning.

bigdog
3-Aug-2011, 04:39
Has anyone had problems with the fan - vibrations, focus problems, etc?

No.