PDA

View Full Version : Burning Man - 2011

Jim collum
1-Aug-2011, 16:52
Going to the event for the first time this year.. and planning on taking 4x5 along with me. Anyone else here been , or plans on going this year?

jim

cyrus
1-Aug-2011, 19:03
Yes but you should look into the rules about photography there.

Jim collum
1-Aug-2011, 19:09

yea.. already have, submitted proposal, and have the media permit...

Kirk Gittings
1-Aug-2011, 20:35
I don't have any interest in it, but my friend Karen Kuehn has been going there for years creating some very haunting images and working on a book. See. (http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1651053) All the b&w is film with a Hassy. I don't know about the color.

Frank Petronio
1-Aug-2011, 23:31
Dust. Drugs. Sunburn. Good Luck!

brianam
2-Aug-2011, 00:43
I've been going for over a decade. can tell you more than you'd want to know. :)
I still bring and shoot only with film cameras, which of course has gotten pretty darn rare out there. I don't go as Press or intend to sell my photos afterward, so I don't bother with a permit. I'm out there with my friends/camp-mates to enjoy and participate in the event, not document it. Nevertheless, there are a few photos on my website.

I can tell you that I have never bothered with LF out there. I brought a 4x5 one year; didn't take it out of the car. There's a lot of reasons why LF is a challenge on the Playa; weather, winds, dust, etc. being the obvious ones. But for me the biggest reason is how much time it would have taken *me* out of the event.

I bring a couple Mamiya 7ii's, some 35mm, Holga, etc. It's all fun.
There are so many "straight" photos that are taken out there, I've over the years migrated toward intentional in-camera effects. e.g. infrared film, etc. Examples on my site.

Have fun whatever you do!:)

argos33
2-Aug-2011, 00:49
Put everything in baggies. Film holders, lenses, even the whole camera/case in some of those big ziplocs. When the wind and/or dust storms pick up, that sand works its way into everything.

I think it is fun to bring a cheap 35mm, holga, etc for just walking around and having fun with. That way if the sand kills it, it's no big deal.

Probably obvious, but late afternoon through sundown is best for photos. It cools off a bit and there are typically a lot of people out and about (unless you don't want many in the shot, in which case early morning would be good).

Are you in an RV? camper? tent? Dome? If you're in a tent it's best to set up a secondary shade structure over the tent so it's not a solar cooker mid-day.

Just be patient when entering the city - it usually takes a long time to get everyone in so bring a book on tape, music, etc.

You will have a great time - there are always lots of interesting structures, vehicles, sculptures, and especially people to photograph. It's really a pretty neat experience I think. I am not going this year but plan on returning. I've been a few times now.

Evan

dsphotog
2-Aug-2011, 01:25
I agree with Brian & Evan.
I'll add, the place is huge, a bicycle is a must! an old one is best. the playa dust is corrosive.
You'll make even more friends if you bring plenty of alcohol.
Don't forget your dust mask & motocross goggles!

Happy burning!

tom thomas
3-Aug-2011, 13:02
Don't forget very strong haze filters for your cameras. They don't put pots on the fire out there, they fire up the pot, creating "hazy" smoke clouds.

Tom

ROL
6-Aug-2011, 11:13
)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

I've been a burner for near a decade also. I work (i.e., VOLUNTEER) at Playa Info. We tag cameras there, as well as knowing everything about everything, NOT. As you are already aware, it is REQUIRED to register all image making devices (iPhones) and sign the waiver. I usually work days 9-1 or 11-3 early week. Come by and say hello, and we'll make fun of (err, I mean "help") you. I'm also working the Circle of Regional Effigies SCARAB (Southern California Associate of Radically Artistic Burners) Food Truck out at THE MAN, Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday night.

My unsolicited advice: Don't bring any camera (or, in fact, anything else) you care about. If you decide to bring a good camera make certain it is sealed against the elements (DUST, and no we're really not kidding). Underwater housings are pretty much the only semi–reliable ways to protect a camera. Your film holders will accrue corrosive, impossible to clean, alkali dust. I wouldn't plan on using anything taken to BM for "serious" photography afterwards.

People do bring LF and offer services, polaroids, and such to participants on the playa, but I've never really been able to fully appreciate why. The only camera I've ever brought is an ancient 3.2 MP Pentax Optio WATERPROOF. It seems to have weathered the conditions well, but then I've never taken more than a few pics. Just not my thing while at the event.

)'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'( )'(

Ed Richards
6-Aug-2011, 12:37
What does this dust do to people's lungs? Or are folks too burned out to care?

austin granger
6-Aug-2011, 16:44
Jim, Hey there. I don't have much to add to what others have already said, other than though the playa is indeed brutal on camera equipment (and on humans), you'll be sorry if you don't bring it.

Best of luck out there-Good and bad, you'll certainly remember this experience for all your life.

-Austin

I'm not going this year, but stop by the 'Left of Passeggch' Bar located in center camp, inner circle at the 8:00 position. Ask for Eggchairsteve and tell him Austin sent you. He'll hook you up with a nice stiff drink. You'll need it-ha!

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6009/5966192502_b0246a1dc8_z.jpg

austin granger
6-Aug-2011, 16:46
What does this dust do to people's lungs? Or are folks too burned out to care?

We're all going to end up with "Black Rock Lung" disease.
And it will have been worth it. :)

Panoman617
11-Aug-2011, 07:59
Any photos yet??? Would like to see some.

Thanks

Jim collum
11-Aug-2011, 08:50
thanks all who replied! I"m really looking forward to the event! (and some excellent images there Austin!!!)

as far as not taking good gear there.... why else would you have gear, unless it was to capture unique light & moments. They're hammers.. just tools, and as long as there's insurance.... I'm trying to imagine Kenro Izu pondering whether it would be worth it to take his 11x14 to some of the places he's gone.

I'll be posting images as soon as I get back (LF film.. b/w & color... Betterlight as well)

jim

austin granger
11-Aug-2011, 10:01
as far as not taking good gear there.... why else would you have gear, unless it was to capture unique light & moments. They're hammers.. just tools, and as long as there's insurance.... I'm trying to imagine Kenro Izu pondering whether it would be worth it to take his 11x14 to some of the places he's gone.

Exactly. I remember once being caught up in a dust storm out there so ferocious that it was as if day turned to night-truly, I could not see my hand in front of my face. But you know what, not once during those terrifying minutes did ever I think; "Oh no, my camera!" I was far too busy praying, and laughing, and reveling at the wonder of being alive there at that moment. What joy!

It's just a damn camera.

Here's the picture I took when the dust cleared. Forgive me if you've seen this. The sculpture was playing Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World." (!)

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5131/5477347996_db7c6cdbb5_z.jpg

Kirk Gittings
11-Aug-2011, 10:36
Really nice Austin.

Kirk Gittings
11-Aug-2011, 10:37
Jim look up Karen Kuehn and say hi for me. She is a trip all by herself.

austin granger
11-Aug-2011, 11:11
Really nice Austin.

Thanks Kirk.

Jim collum
11-Aug-2011, 21:56
Kirk,

A few email back and forth with Karen, thanks for pointing me in her direction.

Before contacting her, I did a bit of research online (her website, books)... all I can say is 'wow!'. I don't know how I've missed her work before.. but she's definitely someone who's work I'll be following

thanks Kirk!

ROL
27-Aug-2011, 07:06
Update - There's been a last minute change regarding personal use cameras this year (Yeah!)

*** NEW! NEW! GUIDELINES FOR PERSONAL CAMERAS - NO PERSONAL USE TAGS IN 2011 ***

Burning Man has created policies and agreements to enact a special zone for the use of cameras in Black Rock City. These policies are aimed at protecting participants' right to privacy and preventing the commodification of our event and we appreciate all our participants have done over the years to help protect this special zone.

We've continued our quest to keep updating these policies in keeping with the times, while maintaining our ability to protect Black Rock City and its inhabitants. While we've never required registration for personal still cameras, all Video Cameras for personal use must physically register for permission to shoot moving imagery in Black Rock City.

For many years this process has been achieved by filling out a Personal Use Agreement upon entry, stating intent to use imagery only for personal use (friends and family), and affixing an approval tag to the camera indicating this registration has been completed.

NEW INFO: Starting this year, these personal use video cameras will still fill out the permission form, but they will NOT RECEIVE TAGS.

Over the years as technology has evolved, the number, size, and type of personal cameras (and the ways we share imagery online) have transformed this legal landscape -- so much that placing actual tags on these types of cameras has become outmoded and even impractical (where to affix a tag on an iPhone, exactly?). Therefore, we have opted to keep the agreement but eliminate the tag.

The same legal net of protection is afforded for BRC by the terms and conditions (http://tickets2.burningman.com/info.php?i=2386) that *every* participant agrees to by their entry to the event. This prevent the use of ANY image for widescale public distribution or commercial purposes without expressed written permission from Burning Man.

For video, we also enact the added protection of the Personal Use Agreement, which requires video camera users to state their intentions only to share for personal purposes, and to notify Burning Man before making any further uses.

We anticipate a period of adjustment as we all educate each other about this new method - we've become accustomed to watching out for tags on EVERY video camera, but now, the only tags present will be those on professional cameras. Please remember as you watch your fellow participants using cameras this year that NO personal cameras will carry camera tags - if someone's shooting without a tag, it doesn't mean they haven't registered, and they're still required to get written permission to do anything with that footage beyond personal use.

Otherwise, only professional cameras will carry tags. Professional media also wear a laminate that identifies them as members of the press. Media Mecca, Playa Info, and the Civic Info Kiosks located around the city will have posters displaying the 2011 Media Tag looks like so you can identify when a camera aimed at you is tagged with professional credentials.

As stated in the Terms of Use, even if a camera user is shooting only to show their friends and family, they should still observe the right to privacy of their fellow participants, the same as we expect of the press and anyone else taking images in BRC. EVERY PARTICIPANT should be aware of the "Rights and Responsibilities for Media and Participants" at http://burningman.com/press/pressRandR.html, whether they'll be behind the camera or in front of it.

Also new for 2011: personal use imagery may be licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial Share Alike license, as outlined in the Terms and Conditions linked above - but *only* if your images do not contain nudity! As with all other camera use in BRC, you agree to ask permission and otherwise uphold your fellow participants' rights inside of Black Rock City. For more information on this license for 2011, see our Burning Blog post from January: http://blog.burningman.com/?p=10906&preview=true.

Finally, since with the loss of camera tags and Personal Use Agreement forms we are losing a potential avenue to identify lost camera owners, Retro from Community Services suggests that you take a shot of your contact info and leave the image on your camera or phone. This really helps with lost and found return efforts!

Brian C. Miller
29-Aug-2011, 08:05

Violating the Rules of the Anarchy.

Hmmmm..... Irony, wherefore art thou, oh irony?

Mike Anderson
29-Aug-2011, 08:14
Violating the Rules of the Anarchy.

Hmmmm..... Irony, wherefore art thou, oh irony?

Without rules, there couldn't be anarchy. :)

...Mike

Jehu
29-Aug-2011, 10:15
My favorite part of Burning Man (to which I've never been) is that more people at the playa means fewer people at the Rib Cook off in Sparks on the same weekend. I also get a kick out of watching the miserable looking burners coming back through town after the weekend. They look like ghosts with ghost bicycles strapped onto the back of their ghost RV's. Just don't get too close. They're really smelly ghosts.