PDA

View Full Version : Alexander Gardner negative sizes?

Bill_1856
1-Aug-2011, 14:35
What size cameras and lenses did Alexander Gardner use at Antietam and Gettysburg (in addition to the stereoscope).
I can't believe that I'm having trouble finding this. All the web sites that I've visited give the print sizes in PIXELS, not inches. And one (LOC) which refers to "A" and "AA" print sizes, but I have no idea what that means.

John Jarosz
1-Aug-2011, 16:27
I just looked at my A World History of Photography 3rd edition (N. Rosenblum -ed) Gardner is listed 10-12 times, but the only reference to cameras is on page 184 where it says that he and Timothy O Sullivan used "16x20, 8x10, and stereoscopic" equipment for Civil War work. It goes on to say that these photos were of encampments and other semi-stationary views because of the length of the exposures.

The book contains 4 images done by Gardner of the Lincoln assassination conspirators. Really good portraits - taken in prison prior to execution. But again, no tech info. But the book credits the George Eastman House for use of the images, maybe they have someone who could help you.

John

tom north
22-Aug-2011, 21:31
John Charlton would know. He's recently completed a rephotographic survey of Gardner's work accross Kansas for the railroad.