PDA

View Full Version : Unknown notch code

Ari
1-Aug-2011, 14:19
Hi,
I just opened an old box of what I thought was TMX 400, but I thought I'd check the notch code. I think somehow the film and the box got switched over the last year, and I erroneously labeled it TMX 400.
Here it is:

----------------------------------------\/------

A search revealed Forte Fortepan 200, but I've never seen that film.
Aother search yielded a 1940s emulsion, either x-ray or colour negative (I don't think so).
Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Armin Seeholzer
1-Aug-2011, 15:13
Yes it must be Fortepan 200 Portait emulsion good for retouching!

I worked for a while with this film.

Cheers Armin

Ari
1-Aug-2011, 17:11
Thank you, Armin.
If you're right, I have no idea how the Forte got there.
Maybe someone pulled a switch-eroo while I was traveling last year.

Tony Evans
1-Aug-2011, 19:00
Same as Adox Pan25 4x5.

Wayne Crider
1-Aug-2011, 19:59
I posted a question about notch codes a couple of years back when I found some old film in some antique 3x4 RB holders and found out that there's apparently a few emulsions that use that singe V notch.

Ari
2-Aug-2011, 06:07
I posted a question about notch codes a couple of years back when I found some old film in some antique 3x4 RB holders and found out that there's apparently a few emulsions that use that singe V notch.

It seems so; the only thing to do is try a few sheets and process them.
Thanks

al olson
2-Aug-2011, 15:50
Ari,

What you have is likely 400 TMAX. I have two 50-sheet boxes, one expiring 05/2010 and the other 07/2011. Each of the boxes has a notch code of a single V.

It is interesting for this new film that they went for a single V-notch.

Ari
2-Aug-2011, 15:54
Al, thank you!
At least this proves I'm not crazy (sort of), and now I have a bunch of decent film to shoot with.
Thanks again.

al olson
2-Aug-2011, 16:43
Glad to be of assistance, Ari.

I knew that the 400Tmax was recently released because my first box came from the Kodak rep, Scott, at the Ft. Collins Large Format Conference to give a try.

I am surprised, though, that no one else posted that this is the code for 400 Tmax, especially since you provided a clue. Are we the only ones who have used this film?

Ari
2-Aug-2011, 17:25
I doubt we're the only ones, but I haven't seen much of it in the image-sharing posts.
Thanks again, Al.

Armin Seeholzer
3-Aug-2011, 01:17
Sorry the code of Tmax 400 is 2 vv and a very wide u.
Somebody did fill up the Tmax box with cheap film, my opinion.

Cheers Armin

Ari
3-Aug-2011, 02:58
I'll have to find out when I develop the film, but thanks, Armin.

al olson
3-Aug-2011, 07:19
Armin, as I recall there is a distinction between 400Tmax (box label) and Tmax 400. My two 50 sheet boxes (empty now) have expiration dates over a year apart, so it was produced over a span of at least a year. The box label clearly shows a single V, as do the sheets that I have exposed. The rebate on these negatives is 400 TMY-2.

My Kodak B&W Data Guide, copyrighted 1996, shows Tmax 400 with the notch pattern as you describe. But 400Tmax was introduced more recently (2007?). As I said, my first box was a sample from Scott, the Kodak rep. It was a recent product that was being promoted at the Ft. Collins conference. The second box I purchased a year later.

I hope this clears up the confusion.

Ari
3-Aug-2011, 09:37
I can now confirm, after processing, that the film is indeed TMax 400.
The lettering at the top of the film reads Kodak 400 TMY-2.
There is a new notch code for TMax 400 after all.

Thank you, Al and Armin.

al olson
3-Aug-2011, 11:48
I have not purchased 400Tmax for a couple of years, but the single V may have been a temporary code until the remaining inventories of old Tmax 400 were depleted. Kodak may again be using the double-V, wide-U notch code again for the tmy-2 emulsion. Can anyone verify?

Just a thought.

Roger Cole
3-Aug-2011, 12:13
I had a box in the refrigerator which I just got out to check. The box shows the single V notch code. It was ordered from Freestyle on March 4th this year and has an expiration date of 6/2013.

I would have checked it sooner when this post appeared except that, silly me, I didn't recall the notch code was on the box. I knew I had some but none developed yet (sad, I know - been getting the darkroom set up and it finally is, now working through the backlog of film to develop but I started with the 35mm) and the only unexposed sheets were in the box and in holders. Exposed sheets are in sealed light bags, but I was even less inclined to dig them out and feel for the code.

Ari
3-Aug-2011, 12:16
Good to know, fellas; thanks again.

Armin Seeholzer
3-Aug-2011, 12:45
Yes I'm shocked to, because just looked on my 2 new boxes they changed to a single V.
Just on my older box which is just in use is the older one!

Its easier to make only a V.

Cheers Armin

peteography
5-Aug-2011, 08:13
Well my first post is a piggy back. I've recently purchased my first 4x5 and 3 of the 4 slots in my holders have sheets of film with this notch pattern:

-------------------------------U-U-U--

Apologies if this is a faux par but anyone know of this film?

It was loaded backwards (patterns on the left) and I've only ruined the very bottom of the films by checking the holders, so I'm quite excited for it to maybe be usable/be as old as the camera.

Ari
5-Aug-2011, 16:08
According to this website http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notch_code#Code_notches_and_ISO_speeds_for_Kodak_sheet_films
you have old Delta 400 Professional.

peteography
5-Aug-2011, 21:16
@Ari

Brilliant, thanks for the link to the resource aswell!

Ari
7-Aug-2011, 03:31
P,
You're welcome.
If you Google "film notch codes", you'll get a few different websites; this is helpful as some sites list only recent emulsions.

Steven Barker
16-Aug-2011, 17:00
Hi everyone, I am newbie of this forum. As former E-6 color darkroom technician for mail-order catalog company for many years until I enter a digital world.
I hope anyone here in this forum help to answer my question... I just came across photo gallery online in which it was taken during World War II on 4"x5" color sheet. I am puzzled what process that used to process those sheet film? You can check out this link to see unknown notch code below. It could be Process E-2 or E-3?

http://www.upi.com/News_Photos/Features/New-photos-from-WWII-era-America/5514/1/

Thanks! Steven

Mark Sampson
16-Aug-2011, 17:20
That would be sheet Kodachrome, which was made until c.1950; Ektachrome was not introduced until after WWII.

Steven Barker
16-Aug-2011, 19:08
Thank for reply!

Steven