PDA

View Full Version : Should I/ Can I start with Fuji Quickloads?

Jim Peterson
30-Jul-2011, 15:08
I am just starting out getting my kit together for my Chamonix 045n2 4x5. I can still buy a new Fuji Quickload holder from Badger Graphics for about $40. Of course, I realize that quickload film is discontinued. However, I have noticed some people are still selling expired or near expired Fuji quickloads. I think I would only need to take about 100 shots to get started to see what I am getting into. I don't mind using newly or nearly expired film since my research says it is probably not a problem. Eventually I will go with cut sheet film but am thinking maybe try the quickloads just for the sake of history. I am a landscaper so am interested in Fuji Velvia 50, 100, and Provia 100F. Perhaps it will be convenient to try quickloads to start. Maybe someone has some old fuji quickolad film for sale? I don't shoot a ton. I am very slow and scout a lot and don't take a ton of photos due to expense and I have already shot a lot of mediocre images. What do you think? Jim

Ed Kelsey
30-Jul-2011, 17:57
Sure why not? Look for it on Ebay. I'd buy some that's not yet expired and freeze it. How much depends on your budget.

Sean Galbraith
30-Jul-2011, 18:39
No. I don't need anymore competition buying film.

photobymike
30-Jul-2011, 19:34
i have a kodak quick load adapter in the box 4 sale. 25 plus 6 bucks for priority shipping

domaz
1-Aug-2011, 07:22
Unless you have a good case for using Quickloads, hiking, backpacking or otherwise going light, then you are better off just using cut film. It's not hard to load film into holders and you don't need to get a super-expensive light-tent to do it. You just need a large dark bag that you can find very cheap.

David Schaller
1-Aug-2011, 08:18
Unless you have a good case for using Quickloads, hiking, backpacking or otherwise going light, then you are better off just using cut film. It's not hard to load film into holders and you don't need to get a super-expensive light-tent to do it. You just need a large dark bag that you can find very cheap.

Or a dark closet. Get used to the holders, which are cheap, and use available film.
Dave

rdenney
1-Aug-2011, 08:27
i have a kodak quick load adapter in the box 4 sale. 25 plus 6 bucks for priority shipping

Let's be careful about leading newbies astray. The Kodak version of this technology is Readyload, and it is NOT compatible with Fuji's QuickLoad system. There is no such thing as a Kodak QuickLoad adapter.

It was possible, as I recall, to use either Kodak or Fuji in a Polaroid 545, with come caveats (like it didn't always work), but no crossing over between the green and yellow boxes.

Rick "who has a freezer full of Quickloads" Denney

Daniel Stone
1-Aug-2011, 09:30
Rick,

I've used Quickloads in my RL holder before, but when trying the other way around(RL's in QL holder), it was a no-go. This was using the latest generation RL holder btw...

Worked(every time) for me, and I've read other places where people's experiences mirror mine?

-Dan

rdenney
1-Aug-2011, 10:36
Rick,

I've used Quickloads in my RL holder before, but when trying the other way around(RL's in QL holder), it was a no-go. This was using the latest generation RL holder btw...

Worked(every time) for me, and I've read other places where people's experiences mirror mine?

-Dan

You're right--I was bass-akwards.

From the articles on the LF Homepage (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/holders.html#readyloads)

Rick "not thinking either will be expensive these days" Denney

Frank Petronio
1-Aug-2011, 10:48
Man up and do it right... get a Harrison changing tent and regular holders. Or Grafmatics. Quickloads are silly.

Corran
1-Aug-2011, 11:39
Just started 4x5 a few months ago. I have about 100 sheets of Fuji 160S Quickloads in the fridge as well as a smattering of Velvia 50/100.

I think there are compelling reasons for using them or not using them. I don't shoot a ton of color, so when I go out I pack all my holders full of TMax100 and bring 10-15 sheets of QL film. This works great.

If all you plan on shooting is color film then you should probably get holders, they will be cheaper in the long run, though if you want to use a lot of different kinds it might be easier to keep track of QLs rather than having holders with different kinds of film all over the place.

Kerry L. Thalmann
1-Aug-2011, 12:19
Man up and do it right... get a Harrison changing tent and regular holders. Or Grafmatics. Quickloads are silly.

I'm going to have to disagree with Frank on this one. When I was a full time large format color landscape shooter, Quickloads were a godsend. Back then, I was shooting in high volumes and constantly cleaning and loading holders took away from time I could have spent hiking and photographing, or driving between locations. They also elminated the dust and static problems that plagued reloading in the field.

And depending on the length of my hiking and backpacking trips, the weight and bulk of carrying Quickloads was almost always less than carrying a changing tent, conventional holders and boxed films. At some point, if your trip is long enough, the weight and bulk of loose sheets, holders and a changing tent becomes less than several boxes of Quickloads, but that's only for very long, extended trips.

And, as has already been mentioned, with a Quickload holder, it is possible to shoot multiple emulsions to your heart's content. With conventional holders, you can only shoot what's loaded in the holder, or stop and reload holders. When the light was changing fast, it was always quicker and easier to grab the emulsion I wanted when I wanted it with the Quickload/Readyload system than with conventionasl holders.

Don't get me wrong, I still used regular holders for some things, and for some applications there isn't any reason not to. It just all depends on your intended application. When I was hiking and backpacking almost every day, the Quickloads were the only practical system that met my requirements (and I also noticed most full time pros I mety/knew also used them). Yes, they cost more than loose sheets, but also return part of that savings in unwasted film and processing caused by dust issues and reloading in the field.

BTW, in my experience, it is always best to use the Quickloads in the Quickload holder and the Readyloads in the Readyload holder. That said, I did have good success using the Quickload packets in the final, single sheet version of the Readyload holder. In most situations, if I was shooting with both brands of film, I just carried both holders. However, when weight was an issue, and I wanted to shoot with both Velvia and E100VS, I just carried the single sheet Readyload holder and used it with both brands.

Although I have a Polaroid 545 back, I never liked using it with the Quickload and Readyload packets. For one thing, it was a lot heavier. And, it also lacked a spring loaded pressure plate. So, film flatness wasn't nearly as good as it was with the Quickload and Readyload holders.

Kerry

Jim Peterson
1-Aug-2011, 20:18
Thanks for all the informative replies! I have decided to do both. I will try the quickloads first and see how that goes. I think I might regret it later not to have at lease tried them and not to be part of history. I want to see what everyone else has gone through. I am practical though and expect to convert over perhaps 100 percent at some point to loading film holders. I will man up like Frank says. Oh, by the way I felt honored to get a response by Rick "who puts cool things in quotation marks" Denny. Jim

Daniel Stone
1-Aug-2011, 23:19
Hey Jim,

to those of us who have responded to your thread here, please don't take us as being a "wet blanket" on your enthusiasm. However, because some of us have been around the block with LF-related matters(some a lot of times around ;) ), and are simply trying to give you some advice. If you're NOT doing ultralight(or even general) hiking/backpacking, regular double-sided film holders are great.

Its very easy to keep them clean,even in the field, and if you choose your shots carefully, 10 shots(5 holders) can last you a good while. If you must carry more loaded holders, then you can. However, with QL's not being made anymore, and those out there already getting close to, or past date already, you can get many(if not all) the same emulsions in regular cut-sheet form. Acros(b/w), 160S(now 160NS), Velvia 50/100/100F, Provia 100F, Astia 100F, they're all still there in regular cut-sheet form. And all fresh, well in date.

So, not to rain on your parade, but go ahead and shoot some QL's. They're very nice, but once you get used to using regular 'ol filmholders, I doubt you'll have a problem using them regularly.

-Dan

Jim Becia
2-Aug-2011, 05:27

Frank,

Not if you shoot in a dusty area like the southwest. Quickloads and readyloads keep dust to a minimum. I use both cut film and readyloads, but it mainly depends on location and how much hiking and walking I will be doing. Like Kerry mentiones, if you are going backpacking, I prefer quick or readyloads also.

I differ just slightly with Kerry in that I always use a Kodak Readyload holder with both types of film and I have never had a problem.

With the demise of readyloads and quickloads, I'm happy that I have about 80 boxes in my freezer. I usually take them out when heading west. Jim

dsphotog
2-Aug-2011, 12:57
Learn on cheap & available sheet film, save the NLA Quick/readyloads for when you need to travel light.

Ivan J. Eberle
2-Aug-2011, 18:08
Let's be careful about leading newbies astray. The Kodak version of this technology is Readyload, and it is NOT compatible with Fuji's QuickLoad system. There is no such thing as a Kodak QuickLoad adapter.

Yes, let's.

The late Kodak Readyload single-sheet holder with the spring loaded pressure plate is the best of the bunch. It also works perfectly with Fuji Quickloads-- or at least mine has, for me, for the past several years.

rdenney
2-Aug-2011, 21:13
Yes, let's.

The late Kodak Readyload single-sheet holder with the spring loaded pressure plate is the best of the bunch. It also works perfectly with Fuji Quickloads-- or at least mine has, for me, for the past several years.

And while we're at it, let's learn to read the whole thread before responding to an early post. Either that, or provide a means of editing that last longer than a couple of hours. I was already corrected, and I already acknowledged the correction, with a link to the article on the home page.

Rick "late hit" Denney

John Kasaian
2-Aug-2011, 22:36
WHen I first started I bought a Polaroid holder because I thought it would give me insant feedback as well as lessen the need to futz around with learning how to load conventional film holders from the get-go and so ease the transition.

My rationale was good, I thought.

I was wrong.

What helped me the most was shooting more.

Cheap Ilford film from end rolls from Freestyle and Photo Warehouse loaded in used holders is what helped me the most to develop an understanding and appreciation of LF. Teaching yourself to load & unload a regular film holder with your eyes closed isn't rocket science, really it isn't. Anyone here would likely supply you with a scrap 4x5 negative or bad sheet of film to practice with for the asking.
Polaroid was a fine product and Quick Loads/Readyloads are (were) too, but IMHO they weren't made to be crutches for timid LFers. Being a now obsolete film I suggest not wasting your money on it. Eventually you'll end up with a holder you can't use and will have spent too much money on specialized film for a very modest amount of negatives generated.
My 2-cents anyway.:)

Frank Petronio
2-Aug-2011, 22:59
Plus one, fear of loading a holder = might as well buy a Mamiya 7.

Alan Gales
2-Aug-2011, 23:08
Quickloads were great and I still have a box of Velvia in my Refrigerator. That's history. Learn to load regular film holders. That is for now and the future for as long as we have film available.

Kerry L. Thalmann
2-Aug-2011, 23:11
Plus one, fear of loading a holder = might as well buy a Mamiya 7.

I know you're being facetious, but it's not the same thing. Ever try to use camera movements with a Mamiya 7? Not possible. Ever try to alter development times of individual frames (for Zone System +/- development) with a Mamiya 7? Not possible. Both are possible using Quickloads/Readyloads.

Kerry

Daniel Stone
2-Aug-2011, 23:34
But Kerry,

Cut sheet film hasn't been discontinued, at least as of just before writing this. QL's HAVE been discontinued, and won't be making a comeback in the forseeable future, if ever. Millions of regular 4x5 holders are out there waiting to be used, why not start with what's available, and will be available basically until the end of sheet film altogether?

-Dan

Kerry L. Thalmann
2-Aug-2011, 23:58
But Kerry,

Cut sheet film hasn't been discontinued, at least as of just before writing this. QL's HAVE been discontinued, and won't be making a comeback in the forseeable future, if ever. Millions of regular 4x5 holders are out there waiting to be used, why not start with what's available, and will be available basically until the end of sheet film altogether?

-Dan

Discontinued, but still available. The Quickload/Readyload holders are dirt cheap now. And, every film that is available in Quickloads/Readyloads is also available in loose sheets. So, there is no learning curve penalty to starting out with Quickloads/Readyload and switching to loose sheets down the road, or mixing Quickloads/Readyloads and loose sheets as appropriate.

I'm not advocating Quickloads/Readyloads as a long term solution, but I see no reason, if your application benefits from them, to not stock your freezer with some Quickload/Readyload film and use them as appropriate.

If I was still shooting 4x5 color transparencies for stock, you had better believe I'd have my freezer full of Velvia Quickloads and E100VS Readyloads right now for future backpacking trips.

Kerry

Armin Seeholzer
3-Aug-2011, 00:50
QL's HAVE been discontinued, and won't be making a comeback in the forseeable future

4 month ago they where still listet on Fuji reseller in Japan even Astia as Quikload! I do not belive they stoped now!

Cheers Armin

Rayt
4-Aug-2011, 05:05
I bought 8 boxes of Acros in QL a few months ago in Tokyo. I get paid in USD so it was very painful spending Yen! I am sure I will be loading my own soon.

msk2193
4-Aug-2011, 07:00
Jim,

I am a bit late to the party, but my experience with the Quickloads wasn't the best.
I started out using quick loads exclusively until I got all my film back from what was one of the best years for wild flowers in the Texas Hill Country and discovered that not a single photo was exposed.
A tiny spring inside the loader had failed and becasue of it not a single negative was pulled from the slide, yet the slide still pulled into place as if things were normal.
Obviously, I haven't used quick loads since!
Just beware of what "might" happen.

Rider
4-Aug-2011, 08:01
I'm going to have to disagree with Frank on this one. When I was a full time large format color landscape shooter, Quickloads were a godsend. Back then, I was shooting in high volumes and constantly cleaning and loading holders took away from time I could have spent hiking and photographing, or driving between locations. They also elminated the dust and static problems that plagued reloading in the field.

And depending on the length of my hiking and backpacking trips, the weight and bulk of carrying Quickloads was almost always less than carrying a changing tent, conventional holders and boxed films. At some point, if your trip is long enough, the weight and bulk of loose sheets, holders and a changing tent becomes less than several boxes of Quickloads, but that's only for very long, extended trips.

And, as has already been mentioned, with a Quickload holder, it is possible to shoot multiple emulsions to your heart's content. With conventional holders, you can only shoot what's loaded in the holder, or stop and reload holders. When the light was changing fast, it was always quicker and easier to grab the emulsion I wanted when I wanted it with the Quickload/Readyload system than with conventionasl holders.

Don't get me wrong, I still used regular holders for some things, and for some applications there isn't any reason not to. It just all depends on your intended application. When I was hiking and backpacking almost every day, the Quickloads were the only practical system that met my requirements (and I also noticed most full time pros I mety/knew also used them). Yes, they cost more than loose sheets, but also return part of that savings in unwasted film and processing caused by dust issues and reloading in the field.

BTW, in my experience, it is always best to use the Quickloads in the Quickload holder and the Readyloads in the Readyload holder. That said, I did have good success using the Quickload packets in the final, single sheet version of the Readyload holder. In most situations, if I was shooting with both brands of film, I just carried both holders. However, when weight was an issue, and I wanted to shoot with both Velvia and E100VS, I just carried the single sheet Readyload holder and used it with both brands.

Although I have a Polaroid 545 back, I never liked using it with the Quickload and Readyload packets. For one thing, it was a lot heavier. And, it also lacked a spring loaded pressure plate. So, film flatness wasn't nearly as good as it was with the Quickload and Readyload holders.

Kerry

I had the latest Readyload Holder and Quickload Holder, and contrary to what I've read, I was never able to load Quickload film in the Readyload holder. I don't think I tried it the other way.

On the other hand, both Quickloads dn Readyloads loaded easily in the Polaroid 545i. True, it doesn't have a pressure plate, but for me that was not an issue.

The discontinuation of Quickoads and Readyloads is a bummer. I still have maybe 50 sheets in the freezer, which I use on trips. I am not sure I will ever buy a changing tent and regular holders and spend all that time loading film. Maybe if I can get my local photo shop to do it.

Marc B.
4-Aug-2011, 08:19
Don't forget the 3.25 X 4.25, Fuji instant film in 10 shot packs.
The Polaroid 405 backs, or Fuji PA-145 backs can be purchased used for about $40-$65 USD.
The film is about $7-$9.50 per pack.
Less then a buck a shot is cheap learning.

jdimichele
8-Aug-2011, 14:51
Hello,

As many people have, I've tried both. I ended up selling the Quickload holder for four reasons:

1) There is an incredible amount of waste (garbage) with the Quickload system

2) The reality is that the Quickloads don't save that much weight or space considering the rest of the gear.

3) If something goes wrong with the Quickload holder in the field you're done. If you are using holders you're still in business. If you have film holders as backups to the Quickload then what is the point?

4) Film holders with a small changing bag in the field only take minutes to reload.

gevalia
5-Sep-2011, 11:35
Hello,

As many people have, I've tried both. I ended up selling the Quickload holder for four reasons:

1) There is an incredible amount of waste (garbage) with the Quickload system

2) The reality is that the Quickloads don't save that much weight or space considering the rest of the gear.

3) If something goes wrong with the Quickload holder in the field you're done. If you are using holders you're still in business. If you have film holders as backups to the Quickload then what is the point?

4) Film holders with a small changing bag in the field only take minutes to reload.

Jay,
I'll ad #5. If you're an LF newbie there's nothing worse then relying on a dead technology (yes, it is dead regardless of what is said here), getting good at it, relying on it, and seeing the dwindling supplies go up 1000% on fleebay.

rdenney
6-Sep-2011, 09:01
Jay,
I'll ad #5. If you're an LF newbie there's nothing worse then relying on a dead technology (yes, it is dead regardless of what is said here), getting good at it, relying on it, and seeing the dwindling supplies go up 1000% on fleebay.

I think you guys are overstating this. Quickload is a packaging method, not an artistic medium. It contains the same film one might load into conventional holders. Switching to those holders after the last of the Quickloads are gone does not require learning a new craft. It's not like the discontinuance of, say, Type 55 Polaroid, which really does remove a significant tool.

I have traveled with 10 holders, and been forced to reload them in poor conditions. The result was unpredictable amounts of dust in the holder, sweaty fingerprints on the film, or other byproducts of using changing bags.

With Quickloads, one can carry all the film for a whole trip, and never expose it to dust or other contaminants.

But those packages hold the same Velvia or Astia or whatever as in the boxes of individual sheets. The real work of learning film is not at all wasted.

I think it's worth an inexpensive QL holder (these are maybe $25 or a bit more) if one can buy 10 or more boxes for the freezer. That's 200 pictures--a five-year supply for me. That's worth the price of the holder for those who desire such packaging.

Rick "who had one changing bag suddenly decide to spray lint all over a batch of film" Denney