PDA

View Full Version : Best film stock for the desert???

alistairv
30-Jul-2011, 03:45
Hi!

Just bought my first LF camera- an old Linhoff 4x5. Im going to Burning Man this year to spend a week shooting landscapes. I know a 10x12 would be better for this but Im taking baby steps.

My question is which stock would give me muted dry and warm tones? I always loved Velvia 50, but these may be a bit too saturated and colour heavy in the blue's and greens. I would like to achieve the same colours as Richard Misarach's Desert Cantos series... or in his pics found in this link...

http://blog.jiazazhi.com/2011/02/richard-misrach/

I have been looking at Kodak Portra 160nc. Furthermore, should I be using filters? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks all!!

Sevo
30-Jul-2011, 05:31
Nothing wrong about 160NC other than that both NC and VC have been replaced by the mid contrast Portra 160 (which would do just as well). If you can nail your exposures exactly, Ektar 100 might be even better, as it can be intentionally overexposed to reduce saturation.

Personally I'd probably use Astia, Provia or E100G out of sheer habit, but habits aside there are many points where colour negative is more advisable nowadays - E6 development is less easy to do at home, there is no all analogue chrome printing system left except Ilfochrome, and negatives have a considerably superior contrast range in scanning.

A UV filter is always advisable in clear weather - deserts are no exception. You need nothing beyond that.

sully75
30-Jul-2011, 06:15
Are you scanning and printing digitally?

I think Portra 400 would be an obvious choice. But I'd shoot a lot before you go, and figure out how/where you will develop it.

BradS
30-Jul-2011, 11:05
which (color) film is best in the desert? If not shooting early morning or late evening, think I'd be most concerned about contrast. The light in the desert is quite harsh. I think that were I shooting color, I'd have to go with Portra. A good printer can make the colors look however you want them (within reason).

PS: Aren't there usually massive sand storms at burning man?

Noah A
31-Jul-2011, 04:04
I'd strongly suggest the new Portra 160 film, unless you need the extra speed and in that case the Portra 400. The 160 seems to have slightly less contrast and smoother tonality than the 400. Both of the new Portras are excellent.

Keep in mind that the look of Misrach's photos came more from the light he shot in than from the film. So wait for the nice light! Good luck.

dsphotog
31-Jul-2011, 11:47
A major problem at the Blackrock Desert is dust, it's ultra fine, corrosive silt particles that get into everything.

David Solow
2-Aug-2011, 14:30
You may have been to Burning Man before. If so, no need to read the rest. If not, here's the scoop. I've been to Burning Man a few times. There is no sand there. It is a dried lake bed, flat as a pancake for miles around and has a very fine, very alkaline dust. It gets everywhere. Dust storms can come up out of nowhere in seconds, and winds can blow in excess of 70 mph. Take necessary precautions and have a blast. I always have.

David

dsphotog
4-Aug-2011, 01:12
Dust masks & motocross goggles ;)
To beat the heat I take a Hudson type sprayer filled with icechest meltoff water, to mist ourselves (and others),
Or leave it in the sun for a warm light cleansing shower.

Professional
8-Aug-2011, 14:33
Go with Ektar 100 or Portra 160, i live near the desert and i did shoot on MF with Ektar and Velvia 50 and B&W, i like the desert from Ektar more, if i will shoot beaches and greens and so then Velvia is my choice, I see Ektar has more effect on warm color and Velvia has effect on cool colors.