PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a No1A Semi-Centenial Stand Crank...

Forrest Cooper
29-Jul-2011, 22:00
Hi Guys!
I am looking for a elevator crank for a Semi-Centenial stand (the large one next to the column). Anyone have or know of a source? After a lot of hard work, my century 7a is up and running, however visegrips don't have that "period look". Or does anyone know the diameter of the original? Maybe I can locate something similar on an old piece of machinery.
Thanks a bunch!

Steven Tribe
30-Jul-2011, 02:24
External diameter is 8 7/8". Thickness of the ring is 7/8" . Diameter of axle is 1 1/2". Wooden handle sticks out 2 1/2". Clearance between the inner side of the wheel and the upright is between 7/8 and 1".

Source for similar? Rusting farm machinery, Industrial sewing machine?

Richard Wasserman
30-Jul-2011, 02:42
Source for similar? Rusting farm machinery, Industrial sewing machine?

Maybe McMaster-Carr? www.mcmaster.com

William Whitaker
30-Jul-2011, 07:26
I was thinking McMaster also. Look under handwheels; there are quite a few. Or be a purist and learn how to pour metal (http://www.lindsaybks.com/)!

Tracy Storer
30-Jul-2011, 08:11
Get one from McMaster, but the bore may need to be opened up or bushed to fit the shaft....pretty quick work for anybody with a metal lathe.

jp
31-Jul-2011, 18:01
A handwheel from an old southbend metal lathe would be nice too (such as a handwheel from a carriage or tail stock) Used parts of those might be more common than for the old camera stand.

Forrest Cooper
1-Aug-2011, 01:41
Thanks for the great ideas and also the detailed dimensions. McMaster-Carr looks great and they have a 3 spoke that just might work, however that sparks another question: Did the stand originally come with a 4 spoke straight hand wheel or a 4 spoke bent/s-shaped wheel? I've seen them both ways in photos. Thanks again.

Steven Tribe
1-Aug-2011, 10:39
Mine is a 3 spoke - s shaped wheel.

Forrest Cooper
1-Aug-2011, 20:12
Hi Steven, do you think you could post a photo of yours with a ruler next to it for reference? I appreciate the detailed dimensions you posted earlier, just wondered if a photo would put it all together. Also the wooden handle.

Steven Tribe
2-Aug-2011, 02:15
As requested!

akfreak
2-Aug-2011, 02:58
Good luck finding your parts, I am in the same boat but worse. I need the entire tilter mech!

Forrest Cooper
9-Aug-2011, 14:25
UPDATE:
I found a flywheel off an old hand crank drill press. It is 12" in diameter instead of 9" and is 5 spoke instead of the original 3. I feel it has the period look...what do you guys think? The wooden knob is off an old cast iron meat grinder. I chucked it up in a drill press and cut 2 grooves in it to match the other. I went through the entire mechanism, readjusted the spring, re-toothed the lockout, and refit the carriage. It works smooth as silk and sits at 0 position just above center height. If anyone needs help adjusting the spring let me know, I found a simple way.
Thanks again for all of your help, advice, and photos!

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z125/RepoocTserrof/Cooper-Century7a-0083of3.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z125/RepoocTserrof/Cooper-Century7a-0081of3.jpg

Steven Tribe
9-Aug-2011, 16:00
Well done!

Michael Cienfuegos
9-Aug-2011, 18:48
Great job!

big_ben_blue
10-Aug-2011, 19:55
Looking great - good job. Love the look of the "new" wheel.

I finished fixing-up my own two stands last weekend :) - an Ansco refinished in black ebony instead of the dead ugly mid-gray, and a Semi-Centenial/Master (?) that needed a botched tilt modification repaired. Can you please PM me about your way adjusting the spring?

akfreak
11-Aug-2011, 03:49
Well a double Hijack, Great work guys, I all I need is parts for my table tilter. I am getting close to needing this stuff. Steve, IF you are going to pour the parts, I am way past ready. I can sure use them.

I am thinking of using Acme thread and go from there, Here is the latest condition of my stand. Well I have gone a little further then this, All of the grey paint is off now. I am, at bare metal and wood. Ready to start the fascia repair and the table tilter mech.
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6074/6032060120_8eef4e79d9_z.jpg

Steven Tribe
11-Aug-2011, 11:55
Another jump thread.
I intend to make the wax molds tomorrow.

I have some high grade aluminium around for making aluminium bronze which is probably better than bronze (tin)for this application.
I'll check melting points and ease of making threads before I decide.

akfreak
11-Aug-2011, 16:44
Another jump thread.
I intend to make the wax molds tomorrow.

I have some high grade aluminium around for making aluminium bronze which is probably better than bronze (tin)for this application.
I'll check melting points and ease of making threads before I decide.

Let me know what you need from me, $$$ wise. To confirm what parts exactly are you going to pour. The attach point at the base of the support, and what else.

I really owe you for this. I mean I have no Idea if I could ever complete this without your help. I am going to the store right now to get the wood for the fascia.

Thanks, AKf

Steven Tribe
13-Aug-2011, 07:33
Started working with the wax blocks. They are good deal stiffer than the type I am used to working with! A mixture of cold sawing and warm molding/glueing.

It is obvious that you will need all three items that the long threaded axle runs through. The two end pieces act as bearings , whilst the third has the thread which does the work.
If I have time and enough fuel I'll try to make the end lever (S shaped) as it is an easy press form sand casting. I also need some hours without day-time rain!

akfreak
13-Aug-2011, 10:40
sounds like you have your hands full