PDA

View Full Version : Small, pocket-sized averaging light meter - suggestions?

Corran
29-Jul-2011, 16:16
I am looking for a small, compact, and lightweight averaging meter for casual 35mm shooting. I just broke my current one that I got for free, a Weston Master II meter. It worked really well too.

I want one of those totally battery-free meters that are simple and easy. I am doing a lot of "fun" shooting that a simple average of the scene is good enough. I am also casually looking for a Pentax Spotmeter for "real" (4x5) shots but I don't need anything that heavy duty for the 35mm stuff.

I see another Weston on ebay for $5, but I figured I'd ask if anyone has any better recommendations. It was a little bulky and heavy for what it did. But if that's the best option, I will just grab that.

Thanks!

rdenney
29-Jul-2011, 16:45
If you don't want batteries in the meter, you are limited to a meter with a photovoltaic cell, such as a selenium cell. These will be very old at this point, and many will be dead. One of the more recent models (from the 1960s) is the Sekonic Model 86, which is one I can think of that is more compact than a Weston Master.

But really, a meter with a Cadmium Sulfide cell (CdS) will not consume power when the cell is covered, and the batteries in mine last a very long time. Just get one that does not require the 1.3V mercury batteries (as does, for example, the Gossen Luna Pro). One cheapie from the 70's that is compact and that works very well is the Vivitar Model 43.

Rick "who has seen lots of selenium meters that make no reading at all" Denney

Alan Gales
29-Jul-2011, 19:10
What about a Gossen Digisix? You can get one brand new at Adorama for $149.89. They do take batteries but are tiny and do incident and reflective metering.

Corran
29-Jul-2011, 19:18
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I guess I'm being a masochist and wanting to have no dependence on batteries or digital things (kind of liberating!!).

I will look at cds meters though. They seem to be kind of expensive for what they are (10-20 year old).

Alan, I would love a Digisix but I don't really want to sink that much money into it. I am hoping to pick up the Pentax Spotmeter for around that much.

Alan Gales
29-Jul-2011, 19:31
Yeah, I don't blame you. I considered getting one for my Stereo Realist. It would be nice but I just bring my Pentax Spotmeter with me.

You should easily be able to get a used Spotmeter V for around that. The digital one gets pricey!

rdenney
29-Jul-2011, 21:19
Here's a Sekonic Model 86 that fully meets your specification for $25. There were several others on ebay.

Ebay ad (http://cgi.ebay.com/Sekonic-L-86-Auto-Lumi-Light-Meter-CLEAN-AND-ACCURATE-/160623902011?_trksid=p3284.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DMRU-625%252BUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D21%26pmod%3D260812919165%26ps%3D54)

Rick "who has no connection to the seller" Denney

Ivan J. Eberle
29-Jul-2011, 21:37
I picked up a General Electric DW58 that came bundled with my first Meridian several years ago. Modern selenium-cell meter c.1947 (that is to say, having the modern ASA/ISO settings dial). Battery-free and still works like a charm, accurate for reflected light meter readings from sunrise to sunset. Provides all the accuracy you'll likely need for negative films. Form factor reminiscent of a Remington electric razor:
http://www.jollinger.com/photo/meters/meters/ge_dw58.html
(also a fairly extensive list of other vintage meters to peruse in sidebar at the above link)

Corran
29-Jul-2011, 22:14
Thanks for the further suggestions of those models, I am perusing my options on ebay now. There are so many different models of these old things I'm not really sure what to look for (it's kind of funny to think I'm out shooting with a whole setup that is over twice my age :) ).

Sevo
30-Jul-2011, 00:35
Good selenium meters can last for a lifetime - I own two Norwoods which are still working perfectly. Contrary to all legends selenium cells do not fail due to some kind of inevitable cell depletion, but succumb to corrosion. How long they survive really depends on the long-term quality of the cell seals, but even meters with low grade sealing may last for quite a time when stored dry and dark.

And battery-free meters need not be old. The last selenium meter, the Weston Euro-Master II, was available new up until maybe two or three years ago, the Sekonic L-398M (more pocketable than a Weston with attached Invercone, so you should not disregard it by size) was made into the mid 2000's, and its battery-free silicone cell successor, the L-398A, still is in production.

john biskupski
30-Jul-2011, 01:50
You should be able to get a later version Gossen Profisix or Luna Pro with the selenium cell for less than £60-£80. They take the common 9v battery. Incident and reflected readings (a bulky spot attachment does exist). A bit bulkier than the Weston, but very accurate and suitable also for large format work with zone markings. Best to bone up on the model range from the Gossen web-site (I believe they still cover these antique models). Otherwise, another vote for the small Digisix, accurate enough for 'casual' readings that the OP wants, and decent battery life.

Steve Goldstein
30-Jul-2011, 04:50
It's possible that George at Quality Light Metric can resurrect your Weston. He brought my Master IV back to life a few years ago for around $50.

Corran
30-Jul-2011, 05:53
Well other than the fact that I took it apart and trashed it looking at how the thing worked and why it had stopped working, $50 to fix it would have been excessive considering they are around $10 on ebay (caveats about condition not withstanding).

Greg Lockrey
30-Jul-2011, 06:29
Yeah, I don't blame you. I considered getting one for my Stereo Realist. It would be nice but I just bring my Pentax Spotmeter with me.

You should easily be able to get a used Spotmeter V for around that. The digital one gets pricey!

I use a Gossen Pilot with mine. They require no batteries and mine has been working well over 20 years. :)

cowanw
30-Jul-2011, 07:23
I bought a Primostar light meter for fun out of the odds and ends bin at Camtech. A selenium meter, probably 1960's or 70's for 5$. Close up it is accurate, for away don't point it at the sky. It's a bit bigger than a Match box.
Funny enough here's one right now (sort of)
http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDYQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fseattle.craigslist.org%2Fsno%2Fpho%2F2513048950.html&ei=KxM0Tr6hI8jOsQKYo91d&usg=AFQjCNGC2cAEIFeoMP05pczFsfo9qDxyNA

Alan Gales
30-Jul-2011, 08:51
I use a Gossen Pilot with mine. They require no batteries and mine has been working well over 20 years. :)

Thanks for the tip, Greg. Cheap and no batteries! I'll be watching Ebay.

Alan

Joseph Dickerson
30-Jul-2011, 09:17
I'm pretty sure that the Gossen Luna Pro has always been a cds meter, hence requires batteries. The Luna Pro SBC uses a silicon blue cel, but still needs a battery and is some bigger than the Luna Pro (or your Weston).

Sekonic still makes the L-398, which is the Norwood reincarnate.

Very reliable, will do incident and reflected, and can be a direct reading meter with the accessory slide kit. Its about the same size as the Weston although they are shaped differently. So you may or may not find it pocketable.

However, like any selenium cell meter it doesn't read low light levels very well. You can read the specs on the Mamiya America web site.

Although it does require a battery, the Gossen Digisix/Digiflash meter(s) are very compact, accurate and read well in reasonably low light. The battery in mine lasts for years.

JD

Kevin Crisp
30-Jul-2011, 09:25
Get a Weston Master IV or V on ebay and send it to quality light metric. The new cell should be good for at least 10 years. They are excellent meters, in a sense already "zoned," but you can stick on zone numbers easily. Pick up the invercone (sp?) and you have an incident meter too. I have a Pentax digital spot meter but always take the Weston along too.

Kerry L. Thalmann
30-Jul-2011, 09:28
You should be able to get a later version Gossen Profisix or Luna Pro with the selenium cell for less than £60-£80. They take the common 9v battery. Incident and reflected readings (a bulky spot attachment does exist). A bit bulkier than the Weston, but very accurate and suitable also for large format work with zone markings. Best to bone up on the model range from the Gossen web-site (I believe they still cover these antique models).

For most of my large format career, I used a Gossen Luna Pro SBC. I loved that meter. It could do anything you needed, It had two different "spot" metering attachments. The 7.5/15 degree attachment (the one had) was small and relatively inexpensive. The 1 degree attachment was bulky and cost more than a Pentax Spotmeter V. So, I passed on that one.

Otherwise, another vote for the small Digisix, accurate enough for 'casual' readings that the OP wants, and decent battery life.

On this, I agree 100%. When I was looking for a smaller, lighter meter for my backpacking kit, I purchased one of these little gems. It does both direct and incident metering. The angle and response of the meter was a good match for the larger more expensive Luna Pro SBC. Plus, like any good piece of backpacking gear, it served multiple functions (watch, alarm clock, timer, thermometer). It takes the commonly available and inexpensive CR2032 lithium coin cell batteries. Granted, the battery life isn't as long as a 9-volt battery, but these cells are so lightweight and have such a long shelf life, carrying a spare isn't a big deal.

The best thing about the Digisix is the tiny size and lightweight (40g, or 1.4 oz., including battery).

About the only drawback to this meter (other than the new price) is that the minimum f-stop on the dial is f32. If you need to shoot at smaller stops, you'll have to mentally convert the shutter speeds for anything smaller than f32.

Kerry

John Koehrer
30-Jul-2011, 13:47
+1 on the Gossen Pilot, It's about the same size as the Digiflash/six meter. With the advantage of being inexpensive and battery less.

Corran
30-Jul-2011, 14:10
Some really great recommendations guys, thanks a lot.

I ended up snagging a Weston Master III for $5 to my door (!), and I think I might try to pick up a little Gossen Pilot for cheap too as a backup so I'm not stuck meterless again as I am now if I break another one (knock on wood).

I also sniped a Pentax Spotmeter V for less than $150 so I'm set on meters :D