PDA

View Full Version : Regno, Optimo Shutters

Two23
28-Jul-2011, 21:16
I've been looking at lenses for 4x5 c.1900-1918 lately. I love the vintage look, and might try lenses from this period as they are cheap. I currently use only 19th century lenses, plus shoot a 1937 Bessa. I keep coming across Velostigmat lenses, which I think must be antistigmats. The older ones are in Optimo or Regno shutters. My 1914 Kodak Special No.1 has an Optimo shutter, and it looks pretty much like a Regno shutter. Did the same company make both? I know they are both pneumatic shutters and probably not highly accurate, should be close enough for b&w film. So, anyone know much about these two shutters, Velostigmats, or lenses in shutter from period 1900--1920?

Kent in SD

goamules
29-Jul-2011, 09:43
Hi Kent. The Optimo is a much higher quality shutter than the Regno. Both made by Wollensak, the Optimo was their flagship for a long time, until the clockwork Betax took over the role. I have both, and though my particular Regno works OK, every Optimo I've had works well. I don't know how accurate, but all the settings usually work.

Fotoguy20d
29-Jul-2011, 09:52
You can find some info here:

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/wollensak_13.html

Two23
30-Jul-2011, 17:24
Well, I've gone on to "discover" B&L Volute shutters. Those appear to be good. They are from the same or even slightly earlier period. How do the Volute shutters compare to Optimo? What were the best shutters from 1900--1920?

Kent in SD

Paul Fitzgerald
30-Jul-2011, 17:53
"How do the Volute shutters compare to Optimo?"

They were both flagship shutters in their day, both OVER complicated and EXCEEDINGLY delicate. I doubt you can find anyone to CLA them. They both have their own thread size & pitch, the cells do not interchange to any other shutter. The Volute does look very pretty in chrome or brass BUT the 'machine working' is in the varnish NOT the metal, be very careful cleaning them, you can polish it right off.

"What were the best shutters from 1900--1920?"

Compound and Compur were the best, hands down.

Two23
30-Jul-2011, 18:08
"How do the Volute shutters compare to Optimo?"

They were both flagship shutters in their day, both OVER complicated and EXCEEDINGLY delicate. I doubt you can find anyone to CLA them.
"What were the best shutters from 1900--1920?"

Compound and Compur were the best, hands down.

Ken Ruth tackled the Optimo on my 1914 Kodak Special No.1 and did a good job. He said to avoid using 1/300s as the blades could crack. Wasn't Compur originally called "Deckerl?" The Compound shutters seem to have been very successful and made for nearly half a century. B&J seemed to be pusing Kolios shutters around 1910, from what I've been reading.

Kent in SD

Paul Fitzgerald
30-Jul-2011, 18:18
"Wasn't Compur originally called "Deckerl?" The Compound shutters seem to have been very successful and made for nearly half a century."

F. Deckel - Munchen was the company
Compound was their air-retard shutter, also licensed to B&L
Compur was their gear-retard shutter licensed from Ilex

Ilex invented and patented the gear drive escapement and made out well with licensing fees.

Kolios shutters look pretty but were the low priced choice

Two23
30-Jul-2011, 18:23
Yes, I read about Ilex. They were another big player in their day. Right now I'm looking for a good condition Velostigmat in Optimo or a Tessar in one of the older shutters, I think. The Heliars from that period sound great, but is more than I want to spend. These are not only nice, they were historically significant and represent a turning point from the older RR and Petzval lenses, roller blind shutters, into what became the modern form.

Kent in SD

Paul Fitzgerald
30-Jul-2011, 18:41
"Right now I'm looking for a good condition Velostigmat in Optimo "

What size and how much?

goamules
30-Jul-2011, 19:30
The B&L Tessars are often found in Optimos. There is one with a wide angle Velo on the auction site right now. Here is one I had with a Turner Reich convertible.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5070/5690249135_2e9a1cd923_z.jpg

Fotoguy20d
30-Jul-2011, 20:19
Garrett,

Thanks to your comment, I now know what will fit into my No 3 Optimo - a 3x4 1c Tessar. Been trying to find something to fit in there for ages but never thought to try a B&L Tessar. But, the front won't thread in all the way without blocking the shutter blades. I need to go try some more lenses and see if any others make it.

Dan

Two23
31-Jul-2011, 14:50
"Right now I'm looking for a good condition Velostigmat in Optimo "

What size and how much?

I'm thinking of anything between 130mm and 250m, maybe 150mm optimum. Should be able to find a clean one for under $200.

Kent in SD

Nodda Duma
5-Jun-2015, 13:03
Found this thread in a search for information on Optimo shutters.

Does anybody have a reference for disassembly / tuning of the Wollensak Optimo shutter? I just measured my shutter speeds and they are off by a fair amount.

Thanks,
Jason

Jim Graves
5-Jun-2015, 16:38
There is a reference work titled "Illustrated Guide and Descriptions of Photographic Inter-Lens Shutters with Directions for Cleaning and Repairing." It was copyrighted in 1917 and has been scanned and republished and usually available on The Bay (there is one on there today for $18.20 with free shipping.)

Included shutters are: Compound, Volute, Xexcell, Optimo, Multispeed, Ernemann, Koilos, Regno, Automat, E. K. Automatic, F. P. K. Automatic, Ingento Junior, Kodak Ball Bearing, Ingento No. 0, Ilex Acme, Compur, and Tenax.

It has interior diagrams and disassembly and service notes but lacks detail.

If anybody would like a scan of the diagram and notes of a particular shutter, let me know. I also have a one page diagram and notes on the Optimo No.4 ... the extra Optimo No.4 page comes with the disclaimer that it is my own diagram and notes so be wary.

Louis Pacilla
5-Jun-2015, 20:23
There is a reference work titled "Illustrated Guide and Descriptions of Photographic Inter-Lens Shutters with Directions for Cleaning and Repairing." It was copyrighted in 1917 and has been scanned and republished and usually available on The Bay (there is one on there today for $18.20 with free shipping.)

Included shutters are: Compound, Volute, Xexcell, Optimo, Multispeed, Ernemann, Koilos, Regno, Automat, E. K. Automatic, F. P. K. Automatic, Ingento Junior, Kodak Ball Bearing, Ingento No. 0, Ilex Acme, Compur, and Tenax.

It has interior diagrams and disassembly and service notes but lacks detail.

Hey Jim do you mean this publication.
http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/repair_1.html

If so it's free to view on Seth's site Camera Eccentric.

Jim Graves
5-Jun-2015, 20:44
Yep... that's it ... so glad I spent $17 for it several years ago. And, I'm a huge fan of Seth's site ... I use it all the time ... either didn't see it or it wasn't up yet when I bought the hard copy.

But, if anyone needs a little more detailed info on the Optimo 4 ... let me know ... I can still offer a little extra detail.

IanG
5-Jun-2015, 22:50
I downloaded a PDF of that Illustrated Guide a couple of years ago. It was very useful when I needed to restore a Velosto shutter that came with a Kodak Anastigmat 170mm f7.7 (a Dialyte similar to the 203mm Ektar). The Velosto shutters were in fact Optimo shutters sold in the UK, the Optimo name trade name was already in use here.

Ian

Nodda Duma
6-Jun-2015, 07:14
Awesome thanks fellas!