PDA

View Full Version : How come "New Posts" and "Unified View" produce different results?

Frank Petronio
28-Jul-2011, 11:36
I don't understand what "Unified View" is, assuming "New Posts" is what it says it is. What is the purpose and how does it decide what threads are worthy of being in the Unified View?

Lachlan 717
28-Jul-2011, 13:23
"Today's Posts" in Quick Link also often differs from "New Posts". No idea why.

BradS
28-Jul-2011, 13:40
each is a slightly different query.

"Unified view" does a getdaily with days=30 but excludes some sub-fora.

"New posts" does a getnew

As far as I can tell "getnew" is everything that has been ammended since the last time you logged in but leaves out the stuff that you've already read during this session.

getdaily seems to get everything that has had some activity (posts) in the last so many days - regardless if you've already read those items this session.

The irritating this is that "unified view" excludes three sub fora - I don't really know which three except that, I'm pretty sure For Sale and Lounge are excluded.

Ralph Barker
29-Jul-2011, 05:43
Yep, "Unified" (the default presentation) excludes For Sale, The Lounge, and New Products. The exclusion was at the request of many members who didn't want to see posts in those areas.

There is a sticky post in the News section that describes how to tailor your own search to your own preferences:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=17419

Sal Santamaura
29-Jul-2011, 08:30
...There is a sticky post in the News section that describes how to tailor your own search to your own preferences:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=17419That's the search type I've been using for five years as my home page. Like the Unified View and New Posts, it doesn't work under IE9 either. While hoping he's enjoying himself, I'm really looking forward to the end of Tom Westbrook's vacation. :)

Kirk Gittings
29-Jul-2011, 09:18
Where do all the lost socks in the world end up?

Greg Lockrey
29-Jul-2011, 09:57
Where do all the lost socks in the world end up?

In my dog's mouth..... :D

Leigh
29-Jul-2011, 12:30
Wealth is a state of mind.
Unfortunately not a state of mine. :D :p

- Leigh

Ralph Barker
29-Jul-2011, 17:13
That's the search type I've been using for five years as my home page. Like the Unified View and New Posts, it doesn't work under IE9 either. While hoping he's enjoying himself, I'm really looking forward to the end of Tom Westbrook's vacation. :)

Tom is really good, but he can't fix Microsoft's mistakes. :eek:

Sal Santamaura
29-Jul-2011, 20:37
Tom is really good, but he can't fix Microsoft's mistakes...Has Tom already established that the IE9 incompatibility results from a Microsoft "mistake?"

Eric Rose
29-Jul-2011, 21:06
Sal your kidding right?! As a web developer I am sick and tired of having to include all kinds of hacks to get around IE's lack of standards compliance.

Sal Santamaura
30-Jul-2011, 07:54
Has Tom already established that the IE9 incompatibility results from a Microsoft "mistake?"

Sal your [sic] kidding right?! As a web developer I am sick and tired of having to include all kinds of hacks to get around IE's lack of standards compliance.No, I'm not kidding. In this thread

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=73597

there's substantial disagreement (between those who claim to know) about whether IE9 is or isn't standards-compliant. I have absolutely no expertise in this area, so asked the question.

Tom Westbrook is apparently the person who would make a determination whether the issue results from an IE9 deficiency, a shortfall in the version of vBulletin being run here or a combination of the two. Tom seems to be the person who would then decide whether to make any changes to this site's code as a result. I've heard all the peanut gallery's comments and now await Tom's answer.

Tom Westbrook
7-Aug-2011, 10:16
I was having the same problem, but clearing the temp internet files via Internet Options in Settings fixed it. Try that and see if it helps.

Leigh
7-Aug-2011, 11:18
there's substantial disagreement (between those who claim to know) about whether IE9 is or isn't standards-compliant. I have absolutely no expertise in this area, so asked the question.
Sal, μ$oft has a long history of selling non-compliant products in an attempt to force consumers to user their product line in its entirety.

This goes back to their development tools, which generate proprietary software by default, and require much convoluted work to produce generic standards-compliant output.

- Leigh

Sal Santamaura
8-Aug-2011, 07:53
I was having the same problem, but clearing the temp internet files via Internet Options in Settings fixed it. Try that and see if it helps.Tom, that's not a permanent or acceptable repeatedly-required fix. Please see this post

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showpost.php?p=754689&postcount=4

and the thread it links to. Various people have the problem with other browsers and, like me, only with this site. I frequent other forums that use later versions of vBulletin with no such issue. Thus my question in the above post:
Any idea if/when the QA team will be addressing this vBulletin version's incompatibility with IE9, either by migrating to a later release or patching the code? Unified View and New Posts only occasionally work in IE9...