PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix Half Frame Darkslide?

mandonbossi
28-Jul-2011, 01:27
Hi, Was just wondering if anyone had used the Chamonix Half Frame Darkslide for their 4x5 cameras. I was wondering if the camera had enough front fall to essentially be able to take two shots of the same scene on a 5 x 4 piece of film? I recently cracked a Toyo darkslide and rigged up a very basic version of this but I think where I went wrong is that I cut the darkslide directly down the middle, so of course there is an image overlap.. But I think that if I was to leave a black strip dividing the two images it would make the problem worse? As in, the Chamonix would not have enough front fall to replicate the top image? Sorry, sorta hard to explain I guess..

If anyone has any experience with this it would be great to hear from you.. I am thinking that with extreme panoramic format, it would be nice to be able to take 2 shots of roughly the same scene with slightly different exposures? I would presume that the company would also have this though but am not sure if the Half Dark Slides were made as an afterthought or not..

If anyone has experience with the other makes/models of these then please let us know..

Ok, thanks, look forward to hearing anyones thoughts..

Cheers Mandon

timparkin
28-Jul-2011, 13:18
Hi, Was just wondering if anyone had used the Chamonix Half Frame Darkslide for their 4x5 cameras. I was wondering if the camera had enough front fall to essentially be able to take two shots of the same scene on a 5 x 4 piece of film? I recently cracked a Toyo darkslide and rigged up a very basic version of this but I think where I went wrong is that I cut the darkslide directly down the middle, so of course there is an image overlap.. But I think that if I was to leave a black strip dividing the two images it would make the problem worse? As in, the Chamonix would not have enough front fall to replicate the top image? Sorry, sorta hard to explain I guess..

If anyone has any experience with this it would be great to hear from you.. I am thinking that with extreme panoramic format, it would be nice to be able to take 2 shots of roughly the same scene with slightly different exposures? I would presume that the company would also have this though but am not sure if the Half Dark Slides were made as an afterthought or not..

The easiest way to deal with this is to turn the back of the camera 180 degrees for the second shot. I use an 8x10 half darkslide and it works exceptionally well (and I love the chamonix dark slides - absolutely gorgeous and lightweight).

Tim

grahamcase
28-Jul-2011, 14:18
For the record, that is an incredibly elegant solution.

al olson
28-Jul-2011, 15:41
I do the same thing, Tim, to get my panoramic shots.

Furthermore, since I tend to favor the terrestrial details over the sky, I place the half slide at the bottom of the holder. This does two things, it blocks out the top half of the scene (if it is mainly sky) and it also prevents the half slide from slipping down into the area I want exposed. However, some rise or fall may need to be applied for the desired composition.

I cut my dark slides so that the remaining half is about a pencil line or so wider. The separation between the two exposures looks about the same as the rebate around the edges.

mandonbossi
31-Jul-2011, 00:06
Hi, Thanks so much for the responses! This is exactly why this forum is so awesome, possibly something I would not have thought of... Al Olson, are you also using the 810 format? Any issues with light leaks or something else that I should be concerned about? Obviously, if shooting two different scenes on the one piece of film, labelling would need to be absolutely spot on..

Also, can I use these holders on a non Chamonix holder? Or should I be ordering one of those at the same time?

Thanks so much again, much appreciated.

Mandon

timparkin
7-Aug-2011, 07:52
Hi, Thanks so much for the responses! This is exactly why this forum is so awesome, possibly something I would not have thought of... Al Olson, are you also using the 810 format? Any issues with light leaks or something else that I should be concerned about? Obviously, if shooting two different scenes on the one piece of film, labelling would need to be absolutely spot on..

Also, can I use these holders on a non Chamonix holder? Or should I be ordering one of those at the same time?

Thanks so much again, much appreciated.

Mandon

Sadly not - I bought one thinking so and then had to buy a Chamonix DS which I don't regret at all!!

mandonbossi
7-Aug-2011, 16:52
Hi, Thanks again. So could do with another darkslide so with the shipping taken into consideration, seems the obvious choice. Thanks again. Mandon

sethlatimer
29-Nov-2011, 10:05
I ordered the chamonix half frame dark slide and it is really nice but it does not fit in my fidelity holders. I was a little disappointed, but now I have good reason to buy a few beautiful chamonix dark slides.
sl