PDA

View Full Version : Publication of Brett Weston biography

Merg Ross
27-Jul-2011, 09:11
The long awaited Brett Weston biography by John Woods is now available.

http://www.ericawestoneditions.com/pages/books.htm

Doug Howk
27-Jul-2011, 09:39
This is very exciting. I consider Brett Weston to be #1.
There's no link on the site, so I called. $37 check to their office will get you a copy.

Merg Ross
27-Jul-2011, 09:47
Doug, I believe that the book may be available through the Weston Gallery in Carmel.

http://www.westongallery.com/news.htm

tgtaylor
27-Jul-2011, 09:56
I just checked on Amazon and Brett Weston: Out of the Shadow which accompanied the exhibition of his work a couple of years ago and which I purchased at the Santa Barbara MOA exhibition for $25 now sells for $89.95 new. This should be a good read and maybe a good investment as well.

Thomas

ViewCameraNut
27-Jul-2011, 11:27
Thanks for sharing this information. This guy was just plain AWESOME, love his work. Sincerely, Mike C.

Merg Ross
27-Jul-2011, 12:29
I just checked on Amazon and Brett Weston: Out of the Shadow which accompanied the exhibition of his work a couple of years ago and which I purchased at the Santa Barbara MOA exhibition for $25 now sells for $89.95 new. This should be a good read and maybe a good investment as well.

Thomas

I bought a few copies at the Santa Barbara exhibition; for $25, it was not going to last long. Although much more expensive, but well worth it in my opinion, is the PWG book of Brett's work: Master Photographer. Copies are still available through the Photography West Gallery in Carmel.

Andrew Plume
27-Jul-2011, 13:46
The long awaited Brett Weston biography by John Woods is now available.

Merg

this is really terrific news and entirely appropriate that it should be you who announced it on here

coincidentally I was reading B&W mag No8 (from memory), earlier this week on 'the unknown Brett' or something similar, when a forthcoming biography was indicated - so it's taken eleven years from that date until now for publication

regards

andrew

Merg Ross
27-Jul-2011, 14:08
Merg

this is really terrific news and entirely appropriate that it should be you who announced it on here

coincidentally I was reading B&W mag No8 (from memory), earlier this week on 'the unknown Brett' or something similar, when a forthcoming biography was indicated - so it's taken eleven years from that date until now for publication

regards

andrew

Andrew, thanks. Yes, good memory, the title was, "The Unknown Brett Weston". As to the elapsed time, there were some legal issues.

Merg

William Whitaker
27-Jul-2011, 15:30
...Copies are still available through the Photography West Gallery in Carmel.

I called Photography West, but they said they didn't have it. I ordered one from Weston Gallery. Shipping at $12 was a little more than the other mentioned.

Merg Ross
27-Jul-2011, 16:01
I called Photography West, but they said they didn't have it. I ordered one from Weston Gallery. Shipping at $12 was a little more than the other mentioned.

Hi, Will-

Are you refering to the Brett Weston "Master Photographer" book, or John Woods biography? Perhaps I confused the issue by mentioning both in this thread. "Master Photographer" should still be available from Photography West for $150.

Merg

William Whitaker
27-Jul-2011, 16:46
Guilty as charged. I'm the one who was confused; I meant the biography. But I still need to add Master Photographer to the shelf. Thanks for setting me straight Merg. :)

Andrew Plume
29-Jul-2011, 11:10
Andrew, thanks. Yes, good memory, the title was, "The Unknown Brett Weston". As to the elapsed time, there were some legal issues.

Merg

thanks indeed Merg

best

andrew

John Jarosz
29-Jul-2011, 14:31
One of the first monographs I ever bought was Voyage of the Eye (Aperture).

He was really good.

Doug Howk
15-Aug-2011, 17:16
Received "A Restless Eye" few days ago, and finished reading it yesterday. Great biography. Its amazing how true to his vision he remained despite the hardships including health issues the last 1/3rd of his life. The appendices are excellent too.
Thanks Merg for letting us know about the publication.

David Hedley
17-Aug-2011, 00:46
I've asked if they will post a copy to Switzerland, but haven't heard back yet - hopefully soon.

Payral
17-Aug-2011, 01:05
I've asked if they will post a copy to Switzerland, but haven't heard back yet - hopefully soon.

They did to France and I got it, so you should…

John Sexton
17-Aug-2011, 01:19
The Weston Gallery is having an exhibition celebrating what would have been Brett Weston’s upcoming 100th birthday, in conjunction with the publication of “A Restless Eye” by my long time friend John Charles Woods. John, along with Brett’s daughter and the book’s publisher Erica Weston, will be on hand at the opening reception and book signing Saturday, September 10, 2011 from 5:00 to 7:00 pm at the Weston Gallery in Carmel, California. This will be a great opportunity to meet John and have him - and perhaps Erica - sign your copy of “A Restless Eye” and at the same time enjoy an exhibition of Brett’s original prints.

The exhibition runs through October 8, 2011.

For those who are not able to attend the book signing, you can contact the Weston Gallery to order a book, have it autographed and shipped to you.

Weston Gallery
PO Box 655
Sixth between Dolores & Lincoln
Carmel, CA 93921
Tel: 831-624-4453
info@westongallery.com
http://www.westongallery.com

h2oman
17-Aug-2011, 11:32
I bought a copy of the biography from the gift shop in Colorado Springs. My review would be this:

Looking Brett's images ("live" or in books) has changed the way I try to see the world, and has significantly impacted how I think about photography. I look at books of his images over and over.

Reading the biography was interesting and entertaining, but not necessarily life-changing. It's well written and a good read for his fans (I'm a huge one) and those who like biographies. (My wife, who cares not a whit about photography, is threatening to read it.) I enjoyed the book, but I'll likely never read it again.

I would encourage anyone not owning anything about Brett Weston to first get on Amazon and buy a used copy of one of Voyage of the Eye, A Personal Selection, or Photographs from Five Decades. (I've left out Master Photographer due to price and the fact that I haven't seen it.) In particular, used paperback versions of Voyage of the Eye can be had pretty inexpensively.

Gerry Meekins
21-Aug-2011, 18:40
It’s great to see a new book about Brett has been produced. Admirers may also want to add the 1972 documentary “Brett Weston Photographer-A film by Art Wright” to their collection. John Sexton still lists it on his Ventana Editions online store for $25. The DVD has 892 of Brett’s images as an added bonus.

http://ventanaeditions.stores.yahoo.net/brwephdvd.html

Merg, is that you out at Point Lobos with Brett in the documentary?

Cheers,
Gerry

Merg Ross
21-Aug-2011, 18:49
Merg, is that you out at Point Lobos with Brett in the documentary?

Cheers,
Gerry

Hi Gerry,

Yes.

One of many visits to Point Lobos with Brett, beginning in 1954.

Gerry Meekins
21-Aug-2011, 19:10
I thought so Merg. I think of all of you who have made so many wonderful photographs there when I am lucky enough to get to the Peninsula. John Sexton has some great stories about Brett. Just wish I could have been out there once with you guys!

Cheers,
Gerry

Michael Kadillak
22-Aug-2011, 06:33
Took in the exhibition of Brett at the Colorado Springs showing and it was fabulous. The lighting was modest and a bit lacking IMHO, but I can understand the rational for such decisions. I picked up the book from the bookstore and have been enjoying reading it. What a thrill having such visual vibrancy close to the Denver area so we can take it in. Now that I have a daughter in San Francisco that is starting her career today, I can see my wife and I visiting the area on a regular basis. Maybe even get to some of Brett and Mergs favorite places. If you have a chance to take in this show take the time to get it on your schedule Nothing like the real deal for some infusion of enthusiasm in making images.

Robert Brummitt
22-Aug-2011, 09:11
Well, I forwarded the original post to my wife as a suggestion for a birthday gift for me. I hope she takes the hint. Another year of socks and underware just won't cut it when such a nice book is available!
:) :) :)

draebyllek
26-Sep-2011, 08:34
I just finished this last night, save the appendices which I'll get to tonight. I'm not a big reader but I really enjoyed this a ton. I'll be reading it again. I've really gotten into the Westons; I own one Brett Weston print now and will probably be adding to it here in a few days. I also own the books "Dune", "Brett Weston: Out Of The Shadows" and it seems like one other and have the DVD film by Art Wright which I've probably watched 30 times by now. I wonder if the other film about Brett will ever be released?

Richard K.
26-Sep-2011, 08:48
Does anyone know of other stops for this exhibit, something closer to the Peoples' Republic of Canada, Toronto area? :)

I didn't see this book at Amazon, where might it be available?

Darin Boville
26-Sep-2011, 09:41
My copy came in the other day. Haven't read it yet but it appears to me a nicely produced book. Signed by the author and publisher as well :)

Thanks Merg for bringing this one to my attention...

--Darin

Michael Jones
26-Sep-2011, 09:56
Does anyone know of other stops for this exhibit, something closer to the Peoples' Republic of Canada, Toronto area? :)

I didn't see this book at Amazon, where might it be available?

Richard:

Here:

Mike

Robert Brummitt
26-Sep-2011, 16:29
Well, I forwarded the original post to my wife as a suggestion for a birthday gift for me. I hope she takes the hint. Another year of socks and underware just won't cut it when such a nice book is available!
:) :) :)

Well, I did get a copy. Love it. Reading it in bits and pieces. So far very interesting stuff. I there will be another book, "Brett Weston at 100". I took a look and so far I see it going for $2500. If I read it right.
Any no more?

Richard K.
26-Sep-2011, 19:37
I there will be another book, "Brett Weston at 100". I took a look and so far I see it going for $2500. If I read it right.
Any no more?

Where did you see the reference to Brett Weston at 100?

Robert Brummitt
26-Sep-2011, 20:24
http://www.photographywest.com/pages/BrettWestonCentennial.html

I had spoken with a friend of Brett. Gerald Robinson
He said he had written something for it.
I see that the book comes with an original Brett Weston print. I guess they will use the money to start up a lower priced book.
From what I read in the current book, that is how Brett secured funds for his Master book.

Darin Boville
26-Sep-2011, 20:30
>>I see that the book comes with an original Brett Weston print.<<

But which print?

--Darin

Robert Brummitt
27-Sep-2011, 08:06
From what I read in the new book. There are thousands of photographs. Some not signed but it's documented that he printed them. I'm sure that it won't be any of his greatest hits but something neat as a Brett Weston.
Best way to find out is to contact the gallery that is promoting the sale. Maybe then you could share what they are offering. At $2500 I have to pass.

draebyllek
27-Sep-2011, 11:48
From what I read in the new book. There are thousands of photographs. Some not signed but it's documented that he printed them. I'm sure that it won't be any of his greatest hits but something neat as a Brett Weston.
Best way to find out is to contact the gallery that is promoting the sale. Maybe then you could share what they are offering. At $2500 I have to pass.

Unsigned/unmounted work would be virtually worthless, IMO. I certainly wouldn't buy any work like that. It has no future for appreciation (the $ kind).

Robert Brummitt
27-Sep-2011, 15:43
Don't hold me to what I think they are doing because I don't. They probably have signed prints as well. They are only selling 100 copies of the book. I'm sure they have 100 signed and mounted prints.
But being virtually worthless if not signed. I doubt it.
Look Yosemite sells Ansel's special edition prints. He doesn't sign them but they still have value and he doesn't even print them and they have value.
Brett never let anyone print his work from what I'm reading. So it's safe to say that the prints that are linked to Brett and the new book coming out.
Besides, I usually buy prints, books and what ever not for their future appreciation. I buy because they touch me in someway. I have done this since I was a kid and collected comic books. Still do. :-)
If you buy for possible appreciations you could go broke. The market value raises and falls for many reasons. Right now, things are at a low. This maybe the best time to buy. It's a buyers market.

rdenney
28-Sep-2011, 05:52
Unsigned/unmounted work would be virtually worthless, IMO. I certainly wouldn't buy any work like that. It has no future for appreciation (the $ kind).

I'm sure the book with print would provide the necessary authentication and provenance to sell in the future for what it is.

Rick "noting that the Adams Special Edition prints are not a good argument: they sell for one tenth the price and they are clearly marked as being what they are" Denney

draebyllek
28-Sep-2011, 09:20
I wouldn't buy anything that I don't like and don't want to keep for a long time, but still, being able to sell if the need arose and have at least some appreciation figures into what I buy. I'm certainly not a 'day trader' when it comes to buying art. It's around for the long haul.