PDA

View Full Version : 6.8 lens in a 5.6 shutter?

mattydk
27-Jul-2011, 06:33
I'm curious to know if the lens elements for a 210mm 6.8 lens can be used on a shutter meant for a 5.6 element lens? what would be the issues if any? Has anyone tried this with their lenses?

E. von Hoegh
27-Jul-2011, 06:40
If the threads match, and the spacing is correct, all you will need to do is get a new aperture scale.

Jim Jones
27-Jul-2011, 06:53
If the focal length and lens design are similar, the aperture scale should work the same for both. Differences in lens design should usually make little difference. Considerable differences in focal length will require a new aperture scale or a correction factor.

mattydk
27-Jul-2011, 07:09
Okay, I have A Rodenstock Sironar-N 150mm 5.6 in a Electro Compur Shutter 1. Now the 210 elements are also Rodenstock although they're Geronar design. I'm being told that they would fit into a Copal 1 (which I assume is the same size as my shutter) so that would work right?

E. von Hoegh
27-Jul-2011, 08:37
Okay, I have A Rodenstock Sironar-N 150mm 5.6 in a Electro Compur Shutter 1. Now the 210 elements are also Rodenstock although they're Geronar design. I'm being told that they would fit into a Copal 1 (which I assume is the same size as my shutter) so that would work right?

Should. But you will need the aperture scale for the 210 elements, or a conversion chart.

mattydk
27-Jul-2011, 09:45
Thanks for the help :)

Sirius Glass
27-Jul-2011, 10:18
I have the opposite problem: I have a Schneider Symmar-S f/5.6 210mm MC in a f/6.8 Copal N1 shutter. So can I assume that the lens wide open is f/5.6 and do an f/scale recalibration or is the wide open lens f/6.8 and I use the f/scale?

BradS
27-Jul-2011, 13:50
I have the opposite problem: I have a Schneider Symmar-S f/5.6 210mm MC in a f/6.8 Copal N1 shutter. So can I assume that the lens wide open is f/5.6 and do an f/scale recalibration or is the wide open lens f/6.8 and I use the f/scale?

Open the shutter (with the preiew lever on the side) and close down the aperature.
Look through the front of the lens and slowly move the aperture lever toward smaller numbers (open the aperture).
When the aperture blades disappear, as seen looking through the front of the lens, the aperture is "wide open" - which is f/5.6 for your 210mm f/5.6 lens

Does that make sense?

Sirius Glass
27-Jul-2011, 15:41
Open the shutter (with the preiew lever on the side) and close down the aperature.
Look through the front of the lens and slowly move the aperture lever toward smaller numbers (open the aperture).
When the aperture blades disappear, as seen looking through the front of the lens, the aperture is "wide open" - which is f/5.6 for your 210mm f/5.6 lens

Does that make sense?

Yes, now I have to calibrate the f/stops and mark the shutter in a nondestructive way.

Mark Stahlke
27-Jul-2011, 21:25

Are you sure about your shutter size? My APO Sironar-N 150/5.6 is mounted in a Copal 0 shutter. My Caltar II-E (Geronar) 210/6.8 is mounted in a Copal 1 shutter.

mattydk
28-Jul-2011, 00:58
I'm pretty sure about the shutter, it fits into a Copal 1 size lens board securely.