PDA

View Full Version : Bolex

lenser
26-Jul-2011, 21:34
OKay, not large format, but just a quick question regarding movie film availability.

I just acquired a stunning and mechanically perfect Bolex 16mm. A friend wants to borrow it to make a silent documentary. Great, but all I can find is ancient stock on ebay. Is anyone still supplying 16mm movie film? Looks like it takes 50 foot rolls.

Thanks.

Tim

Tim Gray
26-Jul-2011, 21:44
It could very well use 50' rolls; I don't know my Bolexes very well. But I thought the 16mm ones took 100' daylight rolls. 8mm cameras often take 50' cartridges.

Anyway, yes people still sell this film. My brother is in film school and whenever we want stuff, we just call Kodak or Fuji directly. Shipping is very fast - 2 days or so. You can probably order stock from Film Emporium/Tape Superstore, or any number of places. But I'd just order a roll or two from Fuji or Kodak.

Kodak's new Vision3 200T is a pretty stunning looking film...

I think this is the Kodak contact page. I can ask my brother if you are interested.

http://motion.kodak.com/US/en/motion/About/Worldwide_Sales_Offices/index.htm#us

Film Emporium's page is here:

http://www.tapesuperstore.com/16mm35mm.html

lenser
26-Jul-2011, 21:59
Thanks, Tim.

You are right. It's 100 foot rolls. I am on a brand new learning curve with this. system and haven't tried to download a manual yet so my knowledge is WAY sketchy. I appreciate the correction and the information.

Tim

Jim C.
26-Jul-2011, 23:04
You can try B&H, Freestyle, Adorama too.

Mark Woods
27-Jul-2011, 08:59
Be sure to order 2 perf film unless the camera is modified to Super 16mm. The default is single perf, and your camera would be poking it's own holes on one side. The easy way to tell what it is, is to look at the rollers with sprockets. If they're on both side of the roller, it's Regular 16mm. Have fun!

lenser
27-Jul-2011, 09:10
Thanks everyone. Problem solved.

Tim

Renato Tonelli
27-Jul-2011, 09:14
Be sure to order 2 perf film unless the camera is modified to Super 16mm. The default is single perf, and your camera would be poking it's own holes on one side. The easy way to tell what it is, is to look at the rollers with sprockets. If they're on both side of the roller, it's Regular 16mm. Have fun!

Most camera original film is now single perf and useable on almost all but the most ancient cameras. Bolexes, like most other standard 16mm film cameras have a single pull-down claw and the sprocket drives have 'teeth' on one edge only: this is what determines if you can use single perf. film. If the sprocket drives have 'teeth' on both edges, then you will need double-perf film.

Kodak sells directly; if you are a student with a valid student ID, they will give you a 30% discount.

Enjoy - PM me if you need more info.

jnantz
27-Jul-2011, 09:27
prep film labs sells film
and will process it as well
fujilabs also processes movie film upto 16mm

have fun!
john

ic-racer
27-Jul-2011, 18:40
Which Bolex do you have. You know the effective shutter speed will be different depending on the shutter angle, filming speed and if the camera has the reflex mirror or not.

Filmnut
27-Jul-2011, 18:49
Beautiful camera! My Dad used one of those for many years!
Keith

Armyphotog
3-Aug-2011, 20:41
I've got one with all 3 lens. It appears to have been wound too tight, but I think that's about all that is wrong with it. Anybody interested?

ic-racer
4-Aug-2011, 08:05
I've got one with all 3 lens.

One what? Which lenses?