PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Identifying Old Lens

Jon M
26-Jul-2011, 20:46
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6013/5980307616_69b0a677ff_b.jpg

I bought this lens a few weeks ago but haven't really been able to find any information about it. I tried to calculate the focal length and got it to somewhere in the neighborhood of 20". It was hard to be very accurate without currently having way of holding the lens other than by hand. It has the slot for waterhouse stops and an unusual tangent (pinion) gear. I also took the lenses out and it's a petzval design. The glass measures around 4.5" across and the lens is 7" tall (no hood) with the flange measuring around 6.75 across. It's a beast and that's one of the reasons I was drawn to it.

That seems like a lot of information now that I typed it out, but I'm curious of it's approximate age and make. Thanks for the help and let me know if you want more information or know of any other way to identify it.

goamules
26-Jul-2011, 21:00
Are you sure under that oxidation or paint it doesn't have some engraving under the square window for the waterhouse slot? Perhaps "Dallmeyer (#)B...."?! They're the only maker I've seen with the square shaft extending from the focus knob. Good find, if that's what it is.

Jon M
26-Jul-2011, 21:07
I'm pretty sure there's nothing there, but that's not to say there wasn't something there at some point. Whoever painted it did an awful job, but there's no hint of engraving under it. Thanks for the tip about the knob.