PDA

View Full Version : Sinar viewing hood

ghe67
26-Jul-2011, 07:28
HI,
does anyone know if a Graflok type viewing houd (pop-up style) will fit the back of a Sinar Handy or F cameras?
Is the Linhof hood compatible with the Sinar back?
I'm looking to find one but I don't want to make a mistake buying the wrong one.
Thanks
Giorgio

Sevo
26-Jul-2011, 08:22
Hoods tend to attach to the ground glass frame or replace it entirely - and Graflok only defines the film holder attachment, while the frame and its attachment are not standardized. You need a sinar style coupling. YMMV with third party gear, many makers were (or grew) somewhat sinar compatible in their accessory couplings - Linhof however was and is not.

Joseph Dickerson
26-Jul-2011, 08:40
Giorgi,

As you may know, many Horseman/Sinar parts and accessories are interchangeable. I use a Horseman bag bellows and rotary back on my Sinar F1. I suspect, but don't know for sure, that the Horseman hood might fit.

I'm sure someone around here has actually tried it.

JD

Frank Petronio
26-Jul-2011, 09:02
The pop-up metal focusing hood made for the Graflex 4x5 Crown and Speed Graphic cameras that used a Graflock back can be removed and inserted into the OLDER Sinar Norma, Handy, and early F- and P-series "International" backs. They have springs that hold them in place. The compatible Sinar backs have a notched recess that allows the photographer to operate the latch on the focusing hood. This recess is in the middle of the frame around the ground glass of the back.

In the photo, I have the back from an older camera mounted onto what is the equivalent of a current Sinar F2. Once Sinar made black versions of the cameras, they removed the Graflex notch.

Note that you may want to use a longer "hood" loupe to fit inside the focusing hood. Wista makes a 7x one that is nice, also Horseman makes a nice one, both are over $100 USd. Toyo makes a 4x one for about $45. I prefer the 7x.

The old Crown Graphic focusing hoods appear on eBay from time to time, they sell for $20 to $80 depending on luck. You can also buy a Crown Graphic, keep the hood, and sell the rest of the camera as it is still usable and some people do not like these hoods. I think they are great and have even adapted Linhofs to use the metal hoods in preference to the less robust leather-sided Linhof versions.

Even if you don't like the hoods, they do a good job of protecting the ground glass.

erie patsellis
26-Jul-2011, 09:18
One of the nicer aspects of the Sinar system is the modularity, you can use a pinholed conventional or bag bellows as a viewing shade on the later backs. Or a blank lensboard as a GG protector if needed.

ghe67
26-Jul-2011, 09:35
The pop-up metal focusing hood made for the Graflex 4x5 Crown and Speed Graphic cameras that used a Graflock back can be removed and inserted into the OLDER Sinar Norma, Handy, and early F- and P-series "International" backs. They have springs that hold them in place. The compatible Sinar backs have a notched recess that allows the photographer to operate the latch on the focusing hood. This recess is in the middle of the frame around the ground glass of the back.

In the photo, I have the back from an older camera mounted onto what is the equivalent of a current Sinar F2. Once Sinar made black versions of the cameras, they removed the Graflex notch.

Note that you may want to use a longer "hood" loupe to fit inside the focusing hood. Wista makes a 7x one that is nice, also Horseman makes a nice one, both are over $100 USd. Toyo makes a 4x one for about $45. I prefer the 7x.

The old Crown Graphic focusing hoods appear on eBay from time to time, they sell for $20 to $80 depending on luck. You can also buy a Crown Graphic, keep the hood, and sell the rest of the camera as it is still usable and some people do not like these hoods. I think they are great and have even adapted Linhofs to use the metal hoods in preference to the less robust leather-sided Linhof versions.

Even if you don't like the hoods, they do a good job of protecting the ground glass.

HI ,
thanks for your answer.
Frank, in your photo I see exactly what I need, thanks!
Regarding the focusing lupe, I have bought the Sinar binocular reflex but I was thinking to buy what you suggest.
So, the Sinar Handy, I've ended building one with original Sinar parts, very easy, the problem is finding the lenses but as these are for landscape works I don't need them.
I'm building a Sinar/Graflex plate, with the Graflex XL focus mount bolted on a Sinar lens board to use some of the Rodenstock-Zeiss lenses for the Graflex, I'm also ordering a new alloy Graflex mounting ring from SK Grimes so I can use the same lenses on the Sinar and on my new XLSW.
I will post some pics of the camera once finished, it will be a very nice set-up-
Ciao
Giorgio