PDA

View Full Version : finding and fixing light leaks: some questions

p-trick
25-Jul-2011, 13:24
I've noticed a slight light-leak in my Tech III somewhere close to the lens-board (I can see this by looking into the bellows from the back while the shutter is closed.

Right now, the problem could be due to two issues:
(1) a tiny light-leak between the lens and the lens-board (close to the retainer-ring); or
(2) a light-leak between the lens-board and the front of the camera (most likely at the light-seals around the circular hole in the front of the camera).

While I believe the second option is most likely, I'd like to hear about the best practice to narrow down the options.

More importantly, I'm interested in knowing how this can be fixed.

Any suggestions?

Mark Woods
25-Jul-2011, 13:32
Take the camera into your darkroom and use a small flash light to aim at the different suspect sections. When you discover where the light leak is, you can then determine your options with either the retaining ring or the lens board.

GPS
25-Jul-2011, 13:38
The old trick for p-trick to find light leaks on cameras - cover the mentioned parts, one after another, with a black tape and see for your self when the leak appears and when not.

p-trick
25-Jul-2011, 14:43
I checked again, and the leak is in a third place I dismissed too quickly before: it's between the bellows and the front plate.

Ari
25-Jul-2011, 17:00
I checked again, and the leak is in a third place I dismissed too quickly before: it's between the bellows and the front plate.

It should be an easy fix, then; some kind of super-glue, and time to set, and you're done.