PDA

View Full Version : Removing Lens from board

gman1001
25-Jul-2011, 10:31
Hi there,

I'm trying to separate this lens from the board. When I unscrew the 5 screws shown in the picture, nothing appears to be obvious about how I can remove the lens from the board. It is still very securely attached to the board.

Any hints for me?

Tx!!!!

http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w333/garrett1001/photo.jpg

http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w333/garrett1001/photo-1.jpg

http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w333/garrett1001/IMG_1008.jpg

Flynnie
25-Jul-2011, 10:40
I've just removed a similar lens in a Compound shutter, I just unscrewed the shutter from the board after removing the cells, needed a fair bit of muscle though. edit - mine had the screws on the lens side so obviously a different setup to yours

Alan Gales
25-Jul-2011, 11:13
Your flange is probably just stuck to the black paint on the lens board.

Unscrew your lens elements and shutter from the lens board and put them some place safe. Take a screwdriver and remove the screws that are holding the flange to the lens board. With your fingers try to remove the flange. The paint may be holding it or it may have been hand screwed into the board (tight hole). It depends upon how the flange is made.

If none of the flange is inside the board you can then place a towel under the lens board (to prevent damage) and clamp it to a table. Take your screw driver and place the blade against the lip on the flange. Tap it with a hammer to loosen the flange from the board. If this doesn't work then try to pry the flange away from the board with your screwdriver. Just be careful to not damage the board.

Tracy Storer
25-Jul-2011, 11:26
The shutter is threaded into the flange from which you removed the screws, the flange is working as a retainer on the back of the board. I would put the screws back in the board, unscrew the shutter from the flange, then remove the screws again from the flange. As mentioned above, the black paint may be holding the flange on the board.
You may be able to unscrew the shutter without replacing the screws, but the flange may spin along with the shutter if you don't.

gman1001
25-Jul-2011, 11:38
The shutter is threaded into the flange from which you removed the screws, the flange is working as a retainer on the back of the board. I would put the screws back in the board, unscrew the shutter from the flange, then remove the screws again from the flange. As mentioned above, the black paint may be holding the flange on the board.
You may be able to unscrew the shutter without replacing the screws, but the flange may spin along with the shutter if you don't.

Great tips, question, when looking at the front of the lens, does the shutter assembly typically spin clockwise or counter CW?

Alan Gales
25-Jul-2011, 11:41
Clockwise to tighten, counter clockwise to loosen.

Ari
25-Jul-2011, 11:55
Clockwise to tighten, counter clockwise to loosen.

Or, righty-tighty, lefty-loosy.

Alan Gales
25-Jul-2011, 12:03
Or, righty-tighty, lefty-loosy.

Yeah, we always told the apprentices that! :D

Alan Gales
25-Jul-2011, 12:09
I have another idea. If you get everything apart and the flange is still stuck then put the screws back in. Hand tighten the shutter to the flange tight. Take the screws back out and holding the shutter in one hand and the lens board in another turn the shutter counter clockwise to "break" the flange loose from the board. Of course if successful you now have the shutter and flange spinning freely on the board. Turn it all until the flange holes line up with the board screw holes. Reinstall the screws and remove the shutter. When you remove the screw holes the flange should fall off.

gman1001
25-Jul-2011, 12:33
I have another idea. If you get everything apart and the flange is still stuck then put the screws back in. Hand tighten the shutter to the flange tight. Take the screws back out and holding the shutter in one hand and the lens board in another turn the shutter counter clockwise to "break" the flange loose from the board. Of course if successful you now have the shutter and flange spinning freely on the board. Turn it all until the flange holes line up with the board screw holes. Reinstall the screws and remove the shutter. When you remove the screw holes the flange should fall off.

Great, I'm going to try these things tonight. Question - I'm actually removing this lens in order to sell. Do you think the lens should stay with the camera or go with the lens/shutter combo?

Tracy Storer
25-Jul-2011, 12:37
I saw in another thread some folks suggesting to sell the lens with the camera....I think this lens will generate some interest on its own. (owing to the big max aperture).
My $0.02 is: "separate"

gman1001
25-Jul-2011, 12:40
Great, I'm going to try these things tonight. Question - I'm actually removing this lens in order to sell. Do you think the lens should stay with the camera or go with the lens/shutter combo?

oops my bad, that other thread was me! What I meant to ask is... Should the flange stay with the board..

Sorry about that.

BrianShaw
25-Jul-2011, 12:45
The flange should stay with the lens.

Len Middleton
25-Jul-2011, 13:18
The flange should stay with the lens.

I am with Brian on this one...

A lens without a flange will get much less, as a flange may be difficult amd / or expensive to get.

The local Rodenstock agent wanted over $100 for a new flange for a barrel lens (600mm Apo-Ronar CL) I bought for less than $300. The alternate is to get a flange made from someone with a lath and the skills to operate it.

Alan Gales
25-Jul-2011, 13:44
I''m not a power seller nor do I have an Ebay store but I do have a lot of experience selling camera gear on Ebay.

Sell the camera in one auction with lens board attached. Sell the lens in shutter with flange in a separate auction due to end 10 to 20 minutes after your first auction in order to give the buyer of the camera a chance to purchase the lens. If you are lucky you will have the buyer of the camera in a bidding war with someone over the lens.

Mention in each auction that you have the other item in an additional auction. Also mention that the lens was on the camera and fits the lens board on the camera. Advertise the camera under large format cameras. Advertise the lens under large format cameras and also under large format lenses.

The reason that I tell you to keep the lens board with the camera is that anyone buying the camera will want the board. The person buying the lens most likely will not need it.

When selling large format cameras and lenses always sell the lens separate from the camera because some people may just want the camera and some may just want the lens. You will make more money this way!

Alan Gales
25-Jul-2011, 14:02
Ebay allows you to set up your auction's beginning time anytime you want for a tiny fee (with Ebay you will find there is a fee for everything). This is worth the money.

I start my auctions to end on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights for after the West Coast gets home and before the East Coast goes to bed. I have sold a lot of items to both California and New York this way.

Never plan an auction to end on Friday nights, anytime Saturday or Sunday during the day. People are busy and not home. Frank Petronio says that he has had good luck with Sunday nights. I have not tried it but if Frank says it's true then I believe him.

Ken Rockwell has a very good article on "How to buy and sell on Ebay". The only thing that I question is his theory on auctions ending on Monday mornings after meetings and before lunch. It might work for selling to white collar workers but most blue collar workers don't have access to a computer then. I want my auctions available to the greatest amount of people!

Tracy Storer
25-Jul-2011, 15:45
Flange stays with the lens.
Board stays with the camera.
ABSOLUTELY.

gman1001
26-Jul-2011, 05:44
Success! Many thanks to all for the hints and suggestions. Flange was just a bit 'stuck' to the board that was all. Just needed a little gentle persuasion.