PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the uk

Nguss
25-Jul-2011, 02:53
Hi,

I am new to LF having dabbled with medium format for the last year or so after starting off with digital which was useful for learning exposure etc without really costing anything.

At the moment I am using an MPP, but am bound to upgrade as it is quite addictive even though to date I have taken a total of 3 photos.

Anyway, some absolutely amazing images on this site.

Neil.

GPS
25-Jul-2011, 04:24
Hi,
At the moment I am using an MPP, but am bound to upgrade as it is quite addictive even though to date I have taken a total of 3 photos.
Neil.

High time to upgrade, no doubt about it! ;)

Joanna Carter
25-Jul-2011, 08:29
Don't forget to drop in on us in the UKLFPG (http://www.lf-photo.org.uk/forum/) forums.

Nguss
25-Jul-2011, 08:50
Hey thanks, I definitely will!

Sirius Glass
25-Jul-2011, 12:10
Welcome to Large Format Photography Forum from the other side of the Pond.

Steve

Pete Watkins
26-Jul-2011, 00:52
Nguss,
Welcome to the forum. Where are you based?
Pete.

davemiller
26-Jul-2011, 01:41
Assuming that it,s in reasonable condition your MPP will be a good learning tool,;) don't be in too much of a hurry to change it.:)

Pete Watkins
27-Jul-2011, 05:03
Hey Joanna,
Is that the forum that was set up by Charles Twist and a few others in 2005 because "There was no real online communal force for large-format camera users"?. Perhaps he was misquoted on the U.K. photographic press, or haven't you let him know that this forum exists? I've been a member here since May 2000 so it's been around for a while now.
Best wishes,
Pete.

Andrew Plume
27-Jul-2011, 06:54
Don't forget to drop in on us in the UKLFPG (http://www.lf-photo.org.uk/forum/) forums.

Hi Joanna

well the UK site maintained by you and Charles is very respectable and helpful too, but this is 'the forum' where it's all at really, just a vast amount of info and knowledge on here from people worldwide + far many sections

one of the main differences between the two forums as I'm sure that you well appreciate, is that members on here are extremely versatile with their cameras and lenses, whereas members over on the UK forum are less adventurous, particularly with their choice of lenses and seem to be uncomfortable with the possibility of using unshuttered lenses, something that I'm hoping will significantly change

regards

andrew

Andrew O'Neill
27-Jul-2011, 07:45
Welcome aboard, Neil!

Nguss
27-Jul-2011, 14:03
Thanks everyone! I have got some realy helpful advice already and hope to eb able to contribute proper once I get an hang of what I am doing.

Pete I am from Newcastle.

I think the MPP will do me for a bit, I just need to get out and have a play with it.

Professional
27-Jul-2011, 19:25
Welcome welcome, Neil!!!

Joanna Carter
27-Jul-2011, 23:57
Hey Joanna,
Is that the forum that was set up by Charles Twist and a few others in 2005 because "There was no real online communal force for large-format camera users"?. Perhaps he was misquoted on the U.K. photographic press, or haven't you let him know that this forum exists? I've been a member here since May 2000 so it's been around for a while now.
As I mentioned in my reply to your identical post in the UK forums, Charles was talking to a UK photographic magazine about LF photography in the UK. At the time when we started the UKLFPG, none of us was aware of these US forums and, in any case, we were looking to provide a UK-based support network for UK LF photographers.

As fine as this forum here is, most posts are from a US perspective and any meetups mentioned tend to be for US locations. The UKLFPG forums allow us to have a forum where the majority of activity is centred around locations a wee bit closer than the "other side of the pond".

I don't see any competition between the US and UK forums; however we, who run the UKLFPG, would really like to raise UK awareness of LF photography in the UK, with the hope of increasing the market for film, thus increasing our chances of being able to purchase film into the long future. As it is, Fuji UK are a lot more reticent to maintain UK film sales than other branches of the company, despite their "Choose Film" apology for a website.

So, fine, if you enjoy the US forums, then use them (I do) but please support and promote the UK forums, otherwise we might all end up having to pay a load more import duty on anything we need to buy.

Pete Watkins
28-Jul-2011, 00:58
Hi Joanna,
How nice of you to write in on Charles' behalf.
I must admit that all that time ago in the year 2000 this Forum was hard to find. I actually had to type "Large Format Photography" into the search engine that I was using before it came up. Perhaps I was just lucky!
I certainly don't regard this as "A US forum". The hardware might be based in The USA but menbership here is international and that point is indisputable.
Just because meetups between UK members of this forum are not formally announced here it does not mean that they don't happen. Turning up mob handed can attract unwelcome attention, I want to take pictures, not be questioned by idiots about the availability of glass plates or told that I need a crappy little digital camera "that can take movies".
You might not be aware that when you import from The EEC there is no import duty payable as far as I know and you pay that countries VAT rate, which can be lower. Just compare the cost of Foma products (produced within The EEC) and "locally" produced stuff and you'll be able to work out why this country is referred to as "Rip Off Britain".
Your desire to "raise UK awareness of LF photography in The UK" is questioned by the fact that on your "Grandes Images" (not even English) website all the courses seem to be held abroad. Is this country really that unphotogenic in your eyes?
As for your attack on Fuji you sound like a Harman shareholder....
Enjoy the summer (whatever country you're spending it in).
Pete.

Andrew Plume
28-Jul-2011, 09:56

I don't see any competition between the US and UK forums; however we, who run the UKLFPG, would really like to raise UK awareness of LF photography in the UK, with the hope of increasing the market for film, thus increasing our chances of being able to purchase film into the long future. As it is, Fuji UK are a lot more reticent to maintain UK film sales than other branches of the company, despite their "Choose Film" apology for a website.

So, fine, if you enjoy the US forums, then use them (I do) but please support and promote the UK forums, otherwise we might all end up having to pay a load more import duty on anything we need to buy.

Hi Joanna

your dialogue with Pete, is (of course) all interesting stuff - I'm all for as you say "....we.....would really like to raise UK awareness of LF photography in the UK......" etc etc but as far as I'm concerned, the UK forum does need some fresh impetus and I have some constructive (but not critical) ideas which I will post on the UK forum shortly

I agree with you that there does not seem to be any competition between the two sites but to me, you do seem quite concerned with the number of UK based photographers joining this forum and not the UK one, since when any UK based person joins this forum (and I've been back through such posts for the past twelve months or so) and 'announces themselves' to the forum per se, you make a post promoting the UKLPF. That's fine but it may well be for the reason that the UK forum needs some fresh impetus that people are joining this site? Again a constructive comment - conversely, new member announcements on the UK forum, do not result in a posting from the likes of Ken Lee or Kirk Gittings (and others on here) directing folks to this site................................

regards

andrew

Joanna Carter
28-Jul-2011, 14:24
Turning up mob handed can attract unwelcome attention, I want to take pictures, not be questioned by idiots about the availability of glass plates or told that I need a crappy little digital camera "that can take movies".
It's a shame you haven't been to one of our workshops; if you had, you would realise just how far from reality your comments are. Our workshops are there to provide a social get-together for those who know what they are doing, as well as an occasion for those who want to learn to ask questions, try out different equipment and techniques.

Your desire to "raise UK awareness of LF photography in The UK" is questioned by the fact that on your "Grandes Images" (not even English) website all the courses seem to be held abroad. Is this country really that unphotogenic in your eyes?
As a prominent figure in the UKLFPG, I feel it would be a conflict of interests to run free workshops in the UK for the UKLFPG as well chargeable ones on my own account; it could be said that I was exploiting my position to my own gains.

Furthermore, I usually go to France most autumns, I speak reasonably good French, have many good friends over there and have been asked to run such workshops and to exhibit my work.

As for your attack on Fuji you sound like a Harman shareholder....
Over the years, I have had intimate dealings with Fuji UK, with a view to trying to get them to provide better product range, better pricing, etc. They (Fuji) have also graciously provided product to the UKLFPG workshop attendees at reduced prices but, in recent years, they have severely reduced the range of LF films that we can buy in the UK. I am certainly not a Harman shareholder, preferring Fuji Acros for B&W work and Velvia 100 for my colour work.

I have some constructive (but not critical) ideas which I will post on the UK forum shortly
Feel free. We are, and always have been, open to new ideas.

I agree with you that there does not seem to be any competition between the two sites but to me, you do seem quite concerned with the number of UK based photographers joining this forum and not the UK one, since when any UK based person joins this forum (and I've been back through such posts for the past twelve months or so) and 'announces themselves' to the forum per se, you make a post promoting the UKLPF. That's fine but it may well be for the reason that the UK forum needs some fresh impetus that people are joining this site? Again a constructive comment - conversely, new member announcements on the UK forum, do not result in a posting from the likes of Ken Lee or Kirk Gittings (and others on here) directing folks to this site................................
The UKLFPG forums are much smaller and sometimes people don't get to find them as easily as the US forums. A great many of the people who I have "courted" have expressed appreciation for my pointing out a UK alternative.

I rather doubt that Ken or Kirk even read our forums, let alone think about ensuring that the whole world comes to their forums; as you say, they are already pretty big.

Can I suggest you and Pete try to get to know some of us in the UKLFPG better before you judge the few of us who are giving of our time to provide a much appreciated facility. My contact details (including a phone number) are on my web site.

MMELVIS
28-Jul-2011, 16:37
Welcome to the group, enjoy your journey into the large format realm.

Sal Santamaura
28-Jul-2011, 16:46
I'm stepping into this "conversation" a someone who is a member of both forums.

...As for your attack on Fuji you sound like a Harman shareholder...

...I am certainly not a Harman shareholder, preferring Fuji Acros for B&W work...

Pete has a long history of bashing Ilford/HARMAN every chance he gets. He should know that HARMAN is privately held by its five managing directors.

Joanna, much as you prefer Fuji Acros, I fear you'd be better off not fighting the inevitable. My observations lead to the conclusion that Ilford will be the last commercially available first tier quality film we can purchase. Yes, Efke, Foma and perhaps some Chinese products may go on longer, but those are produced at a much lower level of consistency and technical performance.

My advice is to consider yourself fortunate that the premier supplier of black and white products is located in your country. If you wish to see a thing of real beauty, try making negatives on Delta 100 and then printing them on Ilfobrom Galerie. I've tried many, many other films and papers, but never found a combination quite so exquisite.

Joanna Carter
29-Jul-2011, 00:33
I'm stepping into this "conversation" a someone who is a member of both forums.
Hi Sal

Pete has a long history of bashing Ilford/HARMAN every chance he gets. He should know that HARMAN is privately held by its five managing directors.
Ah, I see. I thought he was getting at me for criticising Fuji; I didn't realise he had a thing against Ilford.

Joanna, much as you prefer Fuji Acros, I fear you'd be better off not fighting the inevitable. My observations lead to the conclusion that Ilford will be the last commercially available first tier quality film we can purchase.
I know Simon Galley well and am a strong supporter of their products; they deserve to succeed more than Fuji, simply because they appear to be much more dedicated to supporting film than Fuji do.

Yes, Efke, Foma and perhaps some Chinese products may go on longer, but those are produced at a much lower level of consistency and technical performance.
Personally, there are too many variables involved in taking LF as it is; I certainly can't be doing with having to experiment with inconsistent film performance as well.

My advice is to consider yourself fortunate that the premier supplier of black and white products is located in your country.
Oh, I do :) What is more, they are within driving distance from me, and they are very generous in supporting the UKLFPG with product at special rates for those attending our workshops.

If you wish to see a thing of real beauty, try making negatives on Delta 100 and then printing them on Ilfobrom Galerie. I've tried many, many other films and papers, but never found a combination quite so exquisite.
I love Delta 100. The reasons I continue to use Acros include: I have a reasonable stock of it in out of date Quickloads that I acquired at a good price, it has such an astounding lack of need for reciprocity compensation and I really like the tonal handling it provides. I would be hard pressed to decide as to which I prefer the most, apart from my preference for film in an envelope system rather than having to faff with double dark slides.

Andrew Plume
29-Jul-2011, 05:25
Can I suggest you and Pete try to get to know some of us in the UKLFPG better before you judge the few of us who are giving of our time to provide a much appreciated facility. My contact details (including a phone number) are on my web site.

Joanna - I'm at a disadvantage here to entirely grasp what you have suggested - there's no corollary with what I've already said and your suggestion, is there.................?

Pete's views are something completely different, we are not acting 'ala concert party' in these recent postings

You have also gone into very defensive mode, I haven't knocked in any shape or form the UK forum or any of it's fellow members, I've just made (on here) some sensible constructive comments - I may not be around to discuss whatever at meetings and workshops but you will know from my posts on the UK forum, that I am contributing to that site - 244 posts to date over there and 170 on here

regards

andrew