PDA

View Full Version : Color Darkroom Prints in L.A, San Fran or NYC?

joshdaskew
24-Jul-2011, 17:52
Hi, I am travelling to the U.S mid August and was wondering if anyone could recommend some places in the above cities that do traditional color darkroom prints? Also, was wondering what the best places to develop 5x4 color negative film was in the above cities.. Any help or advice would be great and much appreciated!

Best Regards Josh

Noah A
24-Jul-2011, 19:13
In NYC definitely PixPoint, though they're not cheap. They specialize in C-41 processing and analog C-Prints.

http://www.pixpointinc.com/

(I have no affiliation, in fact I'm not even a customer these days since I'm not in NYC anymore. But when I did live in the city they were the only place I found that did a decent job on my 8x10 C-41 negs.)

tgtaylor
24-Jul-2011, 19:48
Rayco in san Francisco has both B&W & Color darkroom facilities:

http://raykophoto.com/rentals/darkroom-rentals/

I've used their B&W 4x5 lab several years back with good results: The Omega D5 was perfectly aligned and there was plenty of room in the darkroon. The enlargening lens was dirty but I took it back for them to clean and they restarted my time. Full facilities from developing, printing, scanning and mounting.

Thomas

joshdaskew
24-Jul-2011, 20:22
Hi, Thanks for the responses, greatly appreciated! At this stage I am not looking to print my own as mentioned by TGTaylor, anywhere in the bay area that will print my negs for me? If I had more time it sounds amazing, I have always wanted to learn how to print color... Noah A, thanks for the suggestion of PixPoint, will give them an email and request a price list..

Anywhere in Los Angeles that will print my C41 negs?

Thanks so much again, greatly appreciated!

IanMazursky
25-Jul-2011, 00:18
LTI (http://www.ltiny.com) in NYC has amazing traditional printers. They also process C41, E6 and B&W in D&D processors.
I have used them for many years and they never disappoint.

Scott Davis
25-Jul-2011, 07:09
I can't recommend them or say anything bad either as I've not used them, but here are two in San Francisco to look into:

Blow-Up Lab 1257 Folsom Street
Photoworks 2077 Market Street #A

Sirius Glass
25-Jul-2011, 12:02
I have had 30"x30" and 24"x36" superbe color prints made at Goldencolor. :D

9020 West Olympic Blvd
Beverly Hills CA 90211 (Between Doheny & Robertson)

Email: photo@goldencolor.com
Goldencolor.com [I do not like their webpage though. Wear dark glasses when viewing!] :eek:

Steve

joshdaskew
27-Jul-2011, 01:55
Thanks again for the responses! Sirius, you are absolutely right about the goldencolor website! Indeed she is bright... So the 24"x36" prints you had done there were darkroom prints? Awesome, good to know, will check them out.. So I guess that just leaves San Francisco, Scott I did check out your two links but Blow Up seems to be entirely digital and Photoworks only seems to go as high as medium format, any other suggestions?

Thanks again to everyone for your help and contribution, much appreciated!

Best Regards

Josh

Scott Davis
27-Jul-2011, 10:05
I think there might still be a lab over in Berkeley that could handle your job. If not, try paying a visit to the Calumet store and asking them who does, or if you've got the spare time and a good sense of will-power to avoid the used gear department, stop in Keeble & Schuchat in Palo Alto.

BradS
27-Jul-2011, 10:39
Although their website makes no mention of it, Photoworks in San Francisco will do 4x5 and 8x10 film processing. I don't know their current pricing but, they have always been in line with local competition (when there was some).

Alan Photo in Pleasanton (about 50miles east of San Francisco - and at the terminus of one of the Bart lines) will also process sheet films. Alan runs a big Jobo machine and is a fantastic printer but I don't think he prints color in the dark room anymore. I know he still makes traditional B&W prints. He does not run a mini lab - so don't expect him to process and print every frome of a 35mm roll for example.

Action Photo in Concord, CA used to do sheet film and I suspect that may still - even though their website barely even mentions film.

Oh, and as Scott mentions above, Keeble & Shuchat, in Palo Altois a fantastic store. They actually have two stores on the same block. Definitely worth the trouble. They do stock loads of sheet film and have just about anything you may need to do with photography. They also have a very well stocked rental department. They have a gallery and both stores contain a museum-like collection of old gear on display. Very Highly recommended.

joshdaskew
28-Jul-2011, 01:01
Awesome! Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated! Will be sure to hunt those places out when I am there.. Thanks again to everyone who contributed, has been a great help.

Best Regards

Josh