PDA

View Full Version : Polaroid 4x5 troubles w 545 holder

goamules
24-Jul-2011, 08:12
Hi, I have a couple boxes of old Polaroid 72 that I just bought. They've been in the refridgerator since new, according to the seller. I shot three sheets (4x5) In my 545 holder that used to work.

Each sheet has the problem of a large, uneven white space where it looks like there was no development. It has gotten larger on each sheet. Also, there is a vertical band of fogging that looks like maybe a light leak or chemical problems.

Can anyone help, who has shot a lot of these holders and film? Thanks.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6025/5970548598_064e7e4b54.jpg

Ari
24-Jul-2011, 08:20
Garrett, most likely the chemicals have dried up.
This can happen, even if the film was refrigerated, and what you can do is try to warm up the Polaroid a little, before shooting, and once it's gone through the rollers, use your hands to riction-heat both sides of the film during development.
It may yield better results than what you've got so far, but it's not a guarantee.

Marc B.
24-Jul-2011, 08:51
Ditto Ari's assessment.

This is a problem of peel-apart instant film, Fuji or Polaroid.
Long term storage is not an option.
One, maybe(?) two years, past the expiration/use by date...tops.

You can't freeze the film, as that will cause the chemical packet to rupture, leaking the developing chemicals, which will then dry-up.

Even when refrigerated, the cellophane chemical packet is not completely air tight, long term, and over time, the chemicals still dry-up.

I'm not sure if type 72 film was still being produced at the time of Polaroid's final bankruptcy in 2008, so your film probably has an expiration date no later then 2008, so we're probably looking at a minimum of four or five years past it's prime.

goamules
24-Jul-2011, 09:17
Thanks folks, I'll just do what I can with it. Better shoot it fast too, it's 10 years old I believe.

Frank Petronio
24-Jul-2011, 10:03
It's art!

Darryl Baird
28-Jul-2011, 18:45
It's art!

I'm with Frank.