PDA

View Full Version : Weird lensboard adaptor- send it back?

Bill Poole
23-Jul-2011, 19:39
Browsers in the for sale section of this forum may remember a lovely little Plaubel Peco Jr. that was a for sale there last month. Well I bought that camera, and so far, I am enchanted with it. Lovely German craftsmanship and in spectacular condition.

The only drawback I've encountered so far is that the camera's 120mm square metal lens boards are pretty much impossible to find. The camera came with 2 boards, but I have had no luck finding more.

So I was pleased to find advertised (not on this forum) a Peco Jr. to Speed Graphic adapter board. It was pricey, but I thought it would be cheaper than having one made.

But when the thing arrived, it didn't seem right. It's very well made, fits the camera perfectly, and has a receiver for a 89 mm square board with rounded corners. The craftsperson used Speed Graphic sliders on top and bottom, leading the the natural conclusion that SG boards would fit.

SG boards seem to be about 92 mm by 93 mm. They have a lip. And the corners are a little sharper. I know this because I have a real SG board that came with the camera, the seller thinking I might want to build one of these things myself someday. Here are photos of the adapter board first and then the real SG receiver.

Advertised Plaubel Peco Jr to Speed Graphic lens board adapter.

http://www.poolephotography.com/photos/i-qm6VSmt/0/O/i-qm6VSmt.jpg

Genuine Speed Graphic lens board receiver

http://www.poolephotography.com/photos/i-J9kFkC5/0/O/i-J9kFkC5.jpg

So I am tempted to send this thing back. BUT it is so well made and does fit the camera so well. What I can't figure out is why someone would build this thing if these 89 mm boards were not relatively common, but I can't find any mention online of a camera taking boards this size. If these are going to be easier to find or have made than the Pejo Jr. boards, I might keep it.

Do any of the more experienced members have any idea what boards this adapter might have been built for? It looks like they would have been flat boards, again 89 mm square, probably with a light baffle about 3/8 of an inch in from the edge.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

Bill

Bill_1856
23-Jul-2011, 19:50
Older models of the Speed Graphic had different lens boards. The anniversary and Pacemaker models had the same size, but the Pacemakers had lipped edges to prevent light leaks. Pre-Anniversary were square but I don't know the size. Other models had different boards.

Leigh
23-Jul-2011, 21:16
I have a box full of NOS Graphic lensboards. There are a bunch of different sizes.

(I also have the big brother of your Plaubel. Very nicely made camera. The company is still in business.)

- Leigh

Jim Jones
24-Jul-2011, 12:01
Older models of the Speed Graphic had different lens boards. The anniversary and Pacemaker models had the same size, but the Pacemakers had lipped edges to prevent light leaks. Pre-Anniversary were square but I don't know the size. Other models had different boards.

I believe the pre-Anniversary SG and several other older camera boards were 3.25" square and 1/4" thick with a rabbeted edge for a light trap. The Anniversary SG board was similar, but 4" square. Many other cameras then and later used this board. My limited research material doesn't list a 89mm (3.5") board of this type. My Pacemaker board with the lip is 92.8 x 94.4mm. The flat board for my Anba Ikeda field camera (same as a Linhof board?) is 96.5mm wide and 99mm high.

Lensboards for the OP's adaptor or Plaubel may be easy enough to make with few tools. Hardboard, MDF, or plywood from a hobby shop works well for the thicker boards. It may be easier to build up a board from two layers than to rabbet the light trap. Hobby shop felt or foam rubber also works as a light trap. Thin boards like the Linhof or Pacemaker Graphic can be made from hardware store aluminum. The SG board doesn't need the turned down lip if a light trap is added behind it.

Flynnie
24-Jul-2011, 12:18
Hi Bill, I just got a Peco Jr. too, as you say a lovely little thing, and among the accessories is a spare lens board with a 40mm hole, if you're interested.
Simon

TheDeardorffGuy
24-Jul-2011, 13:22
He used the wrong end mill. Get it widened out a bit with the proper diameter endmill end mill. By the way these were made in the days of measuring in inches, Not mm. Tell your machinist that. The fix may take 10 minutes or so.

Browsers in the for sale section of this forum may remember a lovely little Plaubel Peco Jr. that was a for sale there last month. Well I bought that camera, and so far, I am enchanted with it. Lovely German craftsmanship and in spectacular condition.

The only drawback I've encountered so far is that the camera's 120mm square metal lens boards are pretty much impossible to find. The camera came with 2 boards, but I have had no luck finding more.

So I was pleased to find advertised (not on this forum) a Peco Jr. to Speed Graphic adapter board. It was pricey, but I thought it would be cheaper than having one made.

But when the thing arrived, it didn't seem right. It's very well made, fits the camera perfectly, and has a receiver for a 89 mm square board with rounded corners. The craftsperson used Speed Graphic sliders on top and bottom, leading the the natural conclusion that SG boards would fit.

SG boards seem to be about 92 mm by 93 mm. They have a lip. And the corners are a little sharper. I know this because I have a real SG board that came with the camera, the seller thinking I might want to build one of these things myself someday. Here are photos of the adapter board first and then the real SG receiver.

Advertised Plaubel Peco Jr to Speed Graphic lens board adapter.

http://www.poolephotography.com/photos/i-qm6VSmt/0/O/i-qm6VSmt.jpg

Genuine Speed Graphic lens board receiver

http://www.poolephotography.com/photos/i-J9kFkC5/0/O/i-J9kFkC5.jpg

So I am tempted to send this thing back. BUT it is so well made and does fit the camera so well. What I can't figure out is why someone would build this thing if these 89 mm boards were not relatively common, but I can't find any mention online of a camera taking boards this size. If these are going to be easier to find or have made than the Pejo Jr. boards, I might keep it.

Do any of the more experienced members have any idea what boards this adapter might have been built for? It looks like they would have been flat boards, again 89 mm square, probably with a light baffle about 3/8 of an inch in from the edge.

Thanks for any help you might be able to give.

Bill

Bill Poole
24-Jul-2011, 14:27
Thanks to all for their valuable ideas and help. Simon - I will pm you about your board.

Bill