PDA

View Full Version : bulldog 8x10 diy camera

j341264
23-Jul-2011, 14:56
hi im looking to get a 8x10 bulldog camera or the equivalent cant seem to find any with in the uk

John Koehrer
23-Jul-2011, 15:04
Don't think the Bulldogs are available any more. Try DIYcamera kit or Rament Kirby.
Kirby's site has plans at least.

Joanna Carter
23-Jul-2011, 15:23
Try contacting Custom Bellows http://www.custombellows.co.uk/bulldog.html

j341264
23-Jul-2011, 15:44
yeah iv messaged them but im not happy with the way that they want to do business.

Tracy Storer
24-Jul-2011, 10:33
That's kind of a provocative statement, how about some details?

John Koehrer
24-Jul-2011, 13:07
Sorry, I had read the BD went defunct.

If you read it on the internet it must be true.

Wu Li
1-Nov-2011, 11:35
Bulldog cameras are alive and well.

I've just built my Bulldog 8x10 purchased in September 2011 from Pinhole Solutions (http://www.pinholesolutions.co.uk/camera_kits.html) - Tel/Fax 0121 434 3321, P & L Solutions, PO Box 9327, Birmingham, B17 8NY, UK.

I have no connection with this company btw.

I telephoned Custom Bellows for advice and found I was speaking to the chap who had designed the camera. He was very helpful and down to earth.

Building the camera was straightforward and it was very satisfying to end up with a rigid, fairly lightweight field camera.

I've awaiting delivery of a Wray 12" f10 Lustrar, mounting ring and Sinar lens board so look forward to making some images with the Big Bulldog.

Brian C. Miller
1-Nov-2011, 11:56
Welcome to the forum, and congratulations on building your Bulldog camera! 8x10 is a fun format, and it looks like you're off to a good start. Please post some pictures when you can!

GabrielSeri
2-Nov-2011, 11:24
Here is another link to buy the bulldog 8x10 camera.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/604731-REG/Bulldog_BULLDOG8X10__8x10_Self_Assembly_Camera.html

Frank Petronio
2-Nov-2011, 14:18
No tilts?

Why not refinish an older classic 8x10 with more capabilities and potential?

Wu Li
3-Nov-2011, 12:58
My Big Bulldog (http://www.bulldogcameras.com/)has axial tilt and swing, rise and fall and lateral shift on the front standard.

The rear standard is fixed, similar to Mike Walker's Titan XL ABS cameras (http://www.walkercameras.com/XL_8x10.html).

I suspect there's ample movements for landscape work but I'll find out on location in due course!

Personally I've greatly enjoyed building this camera and will find it very satisfying making images with it.

Wu Li
17-Mar-2012, 12:14
Here are a snap of my completed 10x8" Bulldog camera.

The lens is a 13" f10 Wray Lustrar and once I source a suitable tripod and head I hope to post some images made with the outfit.

Light Guru
17-Mar-2012, 12:32
I built one of the bulldog 4x5 camera. While it was fun to build, the quality of the materials and the design of the camera are vary lacking. They use MDF board which does not hold up to much stress. Simply pulling the ground glass frame back with the springs in place broke the MDF board and I had to have a new one made out of solid wood. they are WAY overpriced for the quality you get.

I Never use the thing now because the quality is so poor.

Wu Li
19-Mar-2012, 03:02
Mine seems solid enough and I'll be quite happy taking to the Dark Peak in Derbyshire.

Gandolfi made the Variant out of MDF and not all of us can afford cameras made from exotic hardwoods.

I took great care when building my Bulldog to properly glue and seal the joints. It was sealed with MDF primer before finishing to stop the wood absorbing moisture.

I feel that the camera will take the rough stuff when using it outdoors.

As always, the proof willl be in the images produced!

Light Guru
19-Mar-2012, 18:01
Gandolfi made the Variant out of MDF and not all of us can afford cameras made from exotic hardwoods.

I took great care when building my Bulldog to properly glue and seal the joints.

oh my glue joints held up just fine. It was the cheep mdf next to the glue joint that didn't hold.

Hardwood does not need to be exotic just hard. Simple oak or even pine which is not considered a hard wood would be a thousand times better then mdf.

Wu Li
20-Mar-2012, 11:09
Crikey, thanks for the warning!

I'd better replace:

1. my wardrobe in case it collapses from the weight of clothes,
2. my hi-fi speakers so they don't fall apart from vibration,
3. tread lightly on my floor in case I fall through.

How could the furniture, audio and construction industries have got it so wrong about MDF???

Lesson - During WWII DeHavilland built the Mosquito out of plywood to the chagrin of conventional aircraft manufacturers.

If my 10x8 Bulldog takes photos half as well as the Mosquito flew, I'll be more than satisfied.

Light Guru
20-Mar-2012, 15:14
I'm just stating my experience with the 4x5 bulldog kit. Anytime I would pull back on the ground glass frame to incest a negative holder the mdf would crack a little more.

Some things mdf works fine for but not on the thin parts that are attached with spring bars.

Light Guru
20-Mar-2012, 15:18
During WWII DeHavilland built the Mosquito out of plywood

FYI plywood and mdf are completely different. Plywood is thin peaces of wood glued together. Mdf is glued together sawdust.

Lachlan 717
20-Mar-2012, 15:31
Hardwood does not need to be exotic just hard. Simple oak or even pine which is not considered a hard wood would be a thousand times better then mdf.

What about Balsa, another well known hardwood? :)