PDA

View Full Version : Hello From Rexburg, ID

Shannon Wilkinson
23-Jul-2011, 09:06
Hi from The Burg,

I have been a hobbyist for more years than I can remember and a professional photographer for roughly 4 years now shooting with a Canon 5D. I recently returned to school to earn my BFA in photography and rediscovered the joy of film photography. A historical processes class I recently took has led to an almost obsession with historical processes. I have access to several large format cameras at school and recently purchased a 4x5 Crown Graflex. My husband calls it my gateway drug. He's right. ;) I used 8x0 and 7x17 for a series I shot in my historical processes class and am currently shopping around for my own 8x10.

My plan for my BFA is a series in historical processes of which I would like to include wet plate photography. I found the forum through Michael Slade and have literally spent the two days pouring over the information I have found on here! I appreciate all of the knowledge that has been shared. I have learned so much from here! Thanks to everyone who has shared so freely.

I look forward to getting to know you as I begin what I'm quite certain will be a lifelong love of large format.

Shannon Wilkinson

eddie
23-Jul-2011, 11:19
Welcome. Wait to you start playing with wet plate collodion! You will love it.

My mom is from IF. I spent many summers in IF and Gooding.

Eddie

davehyams
23-Jul-2011, 15:31
Eddie's right, haven't made a platinum print in a while. Wet plate is truly a medium one obsesses over. Check out www.collodion.com for more wet plate info than you can shake a stick at. You are in a wonderful part of the country, I have always wanted to make plates in the Tetons. Have fun!!

MMELVIS
23-Jul-2011, 16:16
Welcome and we look forward to your future posts. As I have seen others post," Welcome to the addiction"

Sirius Glass
23-Jul-2011, 16:40
Welcome to Large Format Photography Forum!

Steve

Brian Ellis
23-Jul-2011, 18:41
Welcome to the asylum.

Kimberly Anderson
23-Jul-2011, 19:50
Dakotah,

While I, and many others, appreciate the kind words about Craig and his program, you need to know that the dept. head and the other photo professor in Rexburg are both grads of USU. As am I...twice. Craig is retiring next year, but his legacy and love of alternative processes will live on. I am teaching at UVU and at BYU this year, and graduates of USU and Craig's influence are in education all over the west.

Telling her to ditch her well established program at BYU-Idaho is ill-advised. She would do well to stay right where she's at.

If you want a good program for Alt Processes ditch Rexburg and vicinity and head down to Logan, Utah where Craig Law has a top notch photo program at Utah State University. One of the few things they do right in Utah. His Alt Process knowledge is top notch and he is an excellent photographer, not a classroom lecture type who doesn't 'walk the walk'. He actively shoots using what he teaches. One excellent carbon printer with work that is worth a trip to Logan just to see.

jayabbas
24-Jul-2011, 18:14
You're in good place now -- the "halide cloud". Glad to have you here.

Jim Galli
24-Jul-2011, 23:20
Welcome Shannon.

Jay DeFehr
25-Jul-2011, 07:45
Welcome, Shannon. I lived in the Boise area for 20 years, and recently relocated to Seattle. My wife and I have been making carbon prints in our apartment, which is a challenge, but a lot of fun, too. Have fun exploring!

Jay DeFehr
25-Jul-2011, 10:32
Dakotah,

My son and I worked on the Mormon Temple in Rexburg. It was a bizarre experience for a couple of atheists, though the actual work we did was very interesting and we both learned a lot. There was a crew of Brazilians doing (beautiful) woodwork, and they'd barbecue regularly. Truly fantastic. My son and I worked on the decorative plaster ceiling domes, etc. The materials and finishes were quite beautiful, but the architecture itself was ostentatious and oppressive, and generally creepy, and there were always "Elders" skulking around disapproving of our heathen presence in their holy temple. We were only allowed entry, in fact, because the temple had not yet been blessed, after which time we would no longer be welcome there, or so I was told. I had no interest in being in that place when the Brazilians, Mexicans, and other construction workers left, and it filled with its intended inhabitants. There were a lot of students from the University there, volunteering, and the contrast between them and my son, who was about the same age, was remarkable. We both shuddered at the thought of his attending that school.

Kimberly Anderson
25-Jul-2011, 20:46
Wow, I thought that this board was to be free from religious bashing. It's too bad really.

Jay DeFehr
25-Jul-2011, 21:00
Michael,

Who is bashing religion?

Kimberly Anderson
25-Jul-2011, 21:04
Posts 12, 13 and 14 do a pretty good job of it...

Jay DeFehr
25-Jul-2011, 21:12
I don't know how my post could be described as "Bashing religion". Am I not entitled to relate my experiences and impressions if I don't praise the institution?

Kimberly Anderson
25-Jul-2011, 21:16
I was just under the impression that religion was a topic that was against the terms and conditions of the site.

Apologies if I am wrong.

Jay DeFehr
25-Jul-2011, 21:38
Michael,

I admit my post was off topic, but I wasn't writing about religion; I was writing about my experience working on a Mormon temple in Rexburg, and the contrast I saw between my son and the students there.

For what it's worth, I don't share Dakotah's views on immigration. The Brazilians I worked with were from Florida, and even if they weren't citizens, I was glad they were there, and enjoyed working with them. Same goes for the Mexicans, who lived in Idaho.

I'm sorry if you were offended, it was not my intention.

Kimberly Anderson
25-Jul-2011, 21:43
And Jay, I have to say that I didn't know you very well, so I did a search for posts you had started (call me a snoop...).

I have to say that I have appreciated much of what you have shared here, your opinions on life, photography and etc...are much the same as mine.

I appreciate your candor and apology. Mine is extended as well.

EDIT: I am curious though, how an atheist comes to celebrate Russian Christmas in Idaho? I would like to learn more about that. It seems that many of us have seeming dichotomies in our lives. Alas, it would have to be via PM or e-mail... ;)

Shannon Wilkinson
25-Jul-2011, 22:26
Ahem. Well thanks for the welcome I think :p . I'm happy where I am. I have some of the best teachers in my program. I am LDS and it was my choice to attend a church school. I could have attended any school. I have a 4.0 GPA and could be accepted to any college of my choice but I chose a church school for a reason and while our school's program might not be one of the best in our area, I'm happy with my choice. It is definitely the best for me for several reasons and again, let me reiterate, I'm happy with where I am. I won't get into the religion/church school debate but I can assure you that I'm not being controlled in any way, shape or form.

I do plan on going on to obtain my MFA and I would like to tailor my program to one that is based in historical processes so I will look into other programs in Utah and California when I'm close to graduation (Fall 2012). I do plan on taking a couple of workshops in my areas of interest in historical processes while working on my BFA.

Thanks for all of the information and for the welcome.

Shannon

Jay DeFehr
26-Jul-2011, 07:12
Very gracious of you, Michael. Thank you.

Shannon Wilkinson
26-Jul-2011, 08:20
Not religious bashing, just showing Jay what happened to some who he may have worked with.

As for byHigh, personal experience is that the place sucks and is run by morons - no matter what religious persuasion one may be. They cut mens gymnastics and wrestling both from the Provo, UT main school because the head master is afraid of individual sports.

They have had some good instructors in the photo program - but it is way too restrictive for most without a parochial outlook on life.

Dakotah - I beg to differ. Do you have personal experience or are you basing your information on hearsay? Did you attend BYU? I have several friends that are not LDS that attended BYU Provo who loved their experience there. Your assessment of why the programs were cut is off base. Over 200 collegiate based programs were cut across the country in 2000 (not just at BYU) due to Title IX. If you are going to spout information I would suggest you do your research first and I seriously doubt that a forum that was designed to welcome people to the board is the place to do this. I'm honestly not feeling very welcome and I would hope that this discussion could now stop.

Shan

Jim Galli
26-Jul-2011, 08:30
Go TEAM! :rolleyes:

Sal Santamaura
26-Jul-2011, 12:24
Dakotah - I beg to differ...I'm honestly not feeling very welcome and I would hope that this discussion could now stop...I don't usually participate in these "Introductions" threads, preferring instead to learn about new members through what they write in other categories. However, in the spirit of increasing your sense of welcome, here's some history and advice for you.

First, Dan Smith's posts have been inciting people since before he changed his user name to Dakotah Jackson. Not that the threats he received could ever be justified by anything posted on the Internet, but a more diplomatic approach might have avoided them in the first place. Don't let a couple of outliers convince you they're representative of most participants here.

Second, the volunteer moderators of this forum are unable to read and track every thread. Therefore, when someone ignores the prohibition on discussion of religion or politics, that might escape the moderators attention. At the left side of each post, below the poster's user name, you'll see a red triangle with an exclamation point in it. If you observe a violation of the guidelines, simply click on that triangle and let the moderation team know. They do enforce rules when aware of transgressions.

Shannon Wilkinson
26-Jul-2011, 15:21
I don't usually participate in these "Introductions" threads, preferring instead to learn about new members through what they write in other categories. However, in the spirit of increasing your sense of welcome, here's some history and advice for you.

First, Dan Smith's posts have been inciting people since before he changed his user name to Dakotah Jackson. Not that the threats he received could ever be justified by anything posted on the Internet, but a more diplomatic approach might have avoided them in the first place. Don't let a couple of outliers convince you they're representative of most participants here.

Second, the volunteer moderators of this forum are unable to read and track every thread. Therefore, when someone ignores the prohibition on discussion of religion or politics, that might escape the moderators attention. At the left side of each post, below the poster's user name, you'll see a red triangle with an exclamation point in it. If you observe a violation of the guidelines, simply click on that triangle and let the moderation team know. They do enforce rules when aware of transgressions.

Thanks Sal. I usually try not to feed the trolls. I will click the red triangle and move on from this post.

Shan

Ken Lee
26-Jul-2011, 16:16
"I look forward to getting to know you as I begin what I'm quite certain will be a lifelong love of large format."

I am closing this thread. The OP made a polite and enthusiastic introduction - to which she got nice replies - but some members took the discussion off-topic.

Thank you for saying Hi Shannon. We hope you enjoy the other 99% of what this forum has to offer.