PDA

View Full Version : Cotton Gloves For Negative Handling, What do you use?

akfreak
23-Jul-2011, 00:07
I am looking for the good Lint free, cotton gloves for use when handling film and such. I found some made by a German company called Kaiser #6365. I would prefer to buy some in the USA. I have big hands so nit sure what size is by number but I need XL.

I also need some good Anti static cloths, and various scanner supply's. I found a place called ScanDig in Munich. Is there some sort of counterpart in the USA. They have lots of nice stuff. I just hate to loose on the exchange rate as well as pay high shipping costs and endure the long wait for international shipping.

I see some of the stuff at Calumet, B&H, Adorama, ect... What do you folks use?

John Powers
23-Jul-2011, 04:08
Package of 12 pair from B&H. They were made by Kodak for film handling.

John

cyrus
23-Jul-2011, 06:03
Plain old plastic gloves used for food handling works just fine

photobymike
23-Jul-2011, 06:25
I buy a whole package of cotton gloves from the local CVS drugstore. The guy at the film counter was very helpful.

Corran
23-Jul-2011, 08:27
If you don't want a whole package, local music retailers should carry gloves for the marching bands. One pair is like $2.

photobymike
23-Jul-2011, 08:48
If you don't want a whole package, local music retailers should carry gloves for the marching bands. One pair is like $2.

A whole package cost me 3 bucks. Be-careful what gloves you use. Some gloves have chemicals in them that make them abrasive. Dont try and wash them, washing adds abrasive chemicals to them ... when they get dirty throw them out

akfreak
23-Jul-2011, 10:05
Thanks for the Ideas. No Go On the ScanDig in the US huh?

Tony Evans
23-Jul-2011, 10:39
I get mine from our local Picture Framing supplies wholesaler.

Rick A
23-Jul-2011, 13:39
Freestyle carries the lint free cotton gloves, they also have stretch nylon gloves for film handling.

Doremus Scudder
23-Jul-2011, 14:09
I have a number of different kinds of cotton gloves. I find the Kodak ones too flimsy. I picked up some gloves at the Dollar Tree designated for moisturizing hands... They are thick cotton and ideal for handling, spotting and mounting prints, which is about all I use gloves for.

I don't use cotton gloves for handling negatives. I can't see the need. When developing, I'm wearing nitrile gloves anyway. After the final rinse in distilled water and photo-flo, I squeegee my sheet film between two clean, bare fingers and hang the film to dry. I use clean bare hands and handle the film by the edges when transferring dry negs to the storage envelopes. Film is easily handled by the edges when enlarging, so no gloves there either. I don't spend a lot of time handling my film otherwise.

Best,

Doremus Scudder

jayabbas
23-Jul-2011, 16:44
Minilab supply store(minilab.com) Cotton -- about 5.00, nylon -- about 8.50 per dozen and they have other goodies for your enjoyment.

John Berry
23-Jul-2011, 23:14
wash your hands in liquid joy dish soap. Mechanics have done this for years to strip off oil from hands.

BetterSense
23-Jul-2011, 23:18
Gloves for handling negatives? Lol. That's for museum conservators. I just try to get my hands fairly dry first.

akfreak
24-Jul-2011, 00:14
Well when I dev my 120 negs, I let them dry and sleeve them in the proper acid free plastic jacket that I have 300 yard rolls of. Same for all the other roll films. When I make prints with mt enlarger, it is easy. I just unfold the lip on the sleeve and hold the neg by the edges and place the strip in the metal mask, blow it off (it is secure in the mask) lock the mask into the holder of my Dever 504 all good in the world. It's so very simple.

Now that I am learning to scan, I am scanning on a glass to and it is difficult to avoid touching the negatives when pick them up or place them on the flatbed of the scanner. Ir touch the glass of the scanner top. I sense the mocking tone, it is ok, I just want to do the best I can during the final stages of conversion to digital file.

I saw a few videos where people use lint free cotton gloves to handle film, so I thought I would pose this question. I am not trying to work in a museum. I just want to avoid more post-work.

I think I have a good Idea of what you guys are using, thanks for the info. best wishes to all, AKf

John Powers
3-Aug-2011, 08:14
Gloves for handling negatives? Lol. That's for museum conservators. I just try to get my hands fairly dry first.

Years ago before computer scanning I sold commercial microfilm equipment and services for Bell & Howell, competing with Kodak and service bureaus. All the lab techs used cotton gloves to keep finger prints and dust off the film. Museum conservators and Lab techs do it for good reasons and laughed out loud at amateurs who don’t.

John

Howard Tanger
3-Aug-2011, 15:28
Years ago before computer scanning I sold commercial microfilm equipment and services for Bell & Howell, competing with Kodak and service bureaus. All the lab techs used cotton gloves to keep finger prints and dust off the film. Museum conservators and Lab techs do it for good reasons and laughed out loud at amateurs who don’t.

John

Bravo! Right on. Howard Tanger

Drew Wiley
3-Aug-2011, 15:56
Cotton is linty, barbaric on film. OK for handling mounted prints. I'd suggest dacron
gloves from a cleanroom supplier.

lordvader
4-Aug-2011, 21:37
I use powerder free latex gloves.
Boxes of 100, no need to worry about lint, or the gloves collecting lint/dust while in the wash either, and can still feel my way around a changing bag.

DanK
4-Aug-2011, 22:29
wash your hands in liquid joy dish soap. Mechanics have done this for years to strip off oil from hands.

I, too, am a big believer in dish soap (ajax), but also handle negatives and prints by the extreme outer edge...and avoid touching the image area of both...

(I also rewash negatives pretty often - depending on time in the 'open')

Latex while handling any wet print beyond a work or test print...and during toning...

And, I prefer cotton gloves or simply (usually) a thin cotton rag while dry mounting...or waxing...

My $0.02...

Cheers,
Dan