PDA

View Full Version : heavyweight yet breathable darkcloth?

Former Member 8144
22-Jul-2011, 11:17
Hi guys,

I am shooting on very windy coastal locations.
Whilst I like my paramo darkcloth its lightweight means it blows across the gap between my face and the gg screen all the time so I am looking for a heavyweight (easy to find of course) yet also breathable darkcloth.
Best suggestions please from experience...no heavy t-shirt recomendations necessary.

Thanks

Marc

dasBlute
22-Jul-2011, 11:46
I love and use a couple of zone 6 darkcloths, weatherproof with elastic, very nice

Steve Goldstein
22-Jul-2011, 11:57
Would weighting the corners work? One idea I've had, but not tried, is to use largish steel washers at each corner. These could be held on with Neodymium (really strong) magnets, so could be removable.

Frank Petronio
22-Jul-2011, 12:20
But... a black t-shirt is still the best. Cheap too. Just put the neck over the rear of the camera, get a fresh one when the first gets stinky.

Drew Wiley
22-Jul-2011, 13:33
Black Goretex (if you can find it). Waterproof, nearly lint free, breathable and comfortable, and solid. I use Velro on the corners (not weights!)

Eric Leppanen
22-Jul-2011, 13:55
I would suggest the Blackjacket Hybrid:

http://www.quietworks.com/FRAMES_FILES/BJ_SPECIFICATIONS/BJ_NEW_HOME_FRAME_.htm

I have an original Blackjacket, which is lighter than the hybrid yet works reasonably well in windy conditions due to the elastic band fitting around the body of the camera, as well as the sleeves which limit how far the cloth can get blown about. The heavier hybrid cloth plus the newer double elastic band camera fitting should make for even better wind resistance.

The Blackjacket folks also might be able to include a modification or two to better meet your requirements. If I recall correctly, Keith Walklet is the originator/designer of the Blackjacket (he is also a member of this forum), and I recall corresponding with him about possibly modifying the length of my Blackjacket.

Joseph Dickerson
22-Jul-2011, 17:03
I really like, and would heartily recommend, the Black Jacket. The Hybrid is a bit heavier than the original, but is a lot cooler in warmer environments.

Don't use washers in a dark cloth unless you don't value your front teeth. Drapery weights, get them at a drapery or yardage store, are more forgiving.

Seriously, you'll not regret spending the coins for a Black Jacket.

JD

Michael Roberts
22-Jul-2011, 17:09
Hi Marc,
I also live in a very windy location, and I've experienced similar problems with dark cloths/focus hoods of all persuasions. My thought (and I confess your post has just prompted this idea) is to construct a focus hood similar to the Speed/Crown pop-up hoods, i.e., a rigid "box"-type contraption that would not collapse into your viewing area. This could even be as simple as corrugated cardboard (painted black) and held inside your more flexible, breathable darkcloth--anything to keep the darkcloth from interfering with your vision. If you can construct this so that it can be pressed onto your spring back/gg, and leave your hands free for (1) hanging onto your dark cloth and (2) focusing, you will have what you need. Just my 2 pence.

joselsgil
22-Jul-2011, 22:18
Marc,

One of the focusing cloths that I have, the previous owner added velcro on the ends. This allows you to wrap it around the camera and hold it with the velcro. The photographer that made this focusing cloth used white on one side and black on the other. It makes it a bit heavy, but so far, not too stuffy.
I also have a Calumet focusing cloth. It has what appears to be washers for weights and it is made of some slippery material that would really suck in a windy or high electrical static condition.
The last option would be a large black or dark color bath towel. The really big, full body size.

Former Member 8144
27-Jul-2011, 02:10
cheers guys...have picked up a blackjacket hybrid so lets see on my next windy shoot how it goes...

Drew Bedo
27-Jul-2011, 06:36
something with Gortex . . .

TheDeardorffGuy
27-Jul-2011, 06:54
Do you folks go to fabric shops? In the states we have JoAnns. There are two versions of Joanns. Big and small town. The big stores have all sorts of material that would work. Really. I'm not recomending any particular one because there were at least 7 the other day. Try a fabric shop.

Martin Aislabie
6-Aug-2011, 14:24
cheers guys...have picked up a blackjacket hybrid so lets see on my next windy shoot how it goes...

Interested to know how you get on

I have a Camera Essentials Darkcloth and it took my 5x4 Ebony over with it in a strong gust of wind.

So, I am in the market for something less like a sail

As well as the Blackjacket, I had also wondered about a Walker Darkcloth - http://www.walkercameras.com/a_darkcloth.html

Martin

Steve Barber
7-Aug-2011, 00:01
Interested to know how you get on

I have a Camera Essentials Darkcloth and it took my 5x4 Ebony over with it in a strong gust of wind.

So, I am in the market for something less like a sail

As well as the Blackjacket, I had also wondered about a Walker Darkcloth - http://www.walkercameras.com/a_darkcloth.html

Martin

You might, also, look at a BTZS Focus Hood. They (one for 4x5 and another for 8x10) solved most of my complaints about the dark cloth that I started with. I think it was a Zone VI, heavy weight cotton cloth, white on one side and black on the other with weights sewn in the edges.

http://www.viewcamerastore.com/servlet/the-1/BTZS-Focus-Hood/Detail

anglophone1
7-Aug-2011, 07:30

Marc, the link to your blog doesn't seem to work.........
Have just pushed the button on a hybrid BJ too! [wait for amused comments.....................]