PDA

View Full Version : Israel in summer

Gabriele Campagnano
22-Jul-2011, 10:12
Hi All,

I was wondering if some of you can suggest me some good location to photograph in Israel during summer, I know that the Dead Sea and the Negev are fantastic but at the moment it would be too hot over there....

thanks,
Gabriele

Ole Tjugen
22-Jul-2011, 11:17
Most of Israel is really too hot during summer, although the areas you have mentioned plus Tel Aviv are among the worst. It depends on what your own heat tolerance limit is, really. If you plan well and finish before 10am then even the Dead Sea will be bearable.

Walter Calahan
22-Jul-2011, 11:31
The only place that might have some relief from the heat would be the Golan Heights, or if there is a sea breeze Haifa. Summer isn't my recommended season. :eek:

tadler
22-Jul-2011, 11:37
hi Gabriele. i'm from there. Ole is right and personally i would prefer to shoot in the Negev than in tel aviv, the humidity makes the heat worse in my opinion. anyway, if you write more precisely what you're looking for, i'm sure i can come up with a few proposals. for the negev, try climbing on Massadah the earliest you can. go to Ramon Crater (Mizpe ramon). do all these things either from 6-9 or after 17:00. sun set will be somewhere around 19:00 so u have enough time. the light during after 9 and before 17:00 will be too hard anyway. i used a small plastic cooler with dry-ice packs to keep the film.

Ari
22-Jul-2011, 18:44
Agreed with Tadler, the heat might be oppressive, but at least in the Negev, it's a dry heat. The Kinneret area might offer a little relief, but I'd stick with the drier areas.
Have fun!

Gabriele Campagnano
25-Jul-2011, 11:41
thanks everyone for the reply,

at this point I am considering to go to the golan heights it seems that there many national reserves, any good place for landscape
photography you can advise me?

Scott Davis
25-Jul-2011, 12:27
Just don't point the camera toward Syria.

tadler
25-Jul-2011, 13:23
Regarding the Golan heights, what is VERY important: never cross fences and go into the field, because there are still some landmines there, left after the 1973 war and every now and then they explode, usually when cows step on them, but also people. there are signs on the road and the fences here and there, but not everywhere. i'm saying that because some places are very tempting for landscape photographers, and they look quite harmless and right off the road, but it's extremely dangerous. please take good care.
and yes, it's very nice there. try to climb the mountains surrounding the Kineret (sea of Galilee), one name that comes to my mind is Gamla.

sepstein17
25-Jul-2011, 19:52
Just outside of Haifa towards the "good fence" is an area known as Rosh hanikra -- old pirate and smuggler caves -- a little wet but with the mediterranean light coming horizontally thru the cave openings -- great effects.

Ein Hod which is south of haifa is an artist colony of wondrous beauty in the landscape and in the studios -- creative minds love to converse with creators.

In the south near the dead sea and massada is an area called Ein Gedi -- walk up a few levels to a wonderful waterfall -- great to shoot but it entails schlepping equipment.

The wall at midnight is always a favorite of mine -- a tripod/four minute exposures and wonderful results. Not much movement because all the black hats are sitting davening or reading or in contemplation. Turn around and photo the flamed sculpture on top of the Wohl Yeshiva spelling out the word YIZKOR - kind of a moving experience -- it gets me every trip I make.

Don't look for cool anywhere outside -- in summer the operative word is HOT! water/water/water and a hat. Focus fast -- your "black blanket" will cause all sorts of schvitzing. This may be the time for the black t-shirt drill.

lawrencebrussel
28-Jul-2011, 02:42
Masada is a great place for photography purpose, Also you can go for Sea of Galilee. I love this place.

brianam
5-Aug-2011, 14:09
Jerusalem is up at elevation, and will cool down much more at night than Tel Aviv. A lot of incredible, history-rich photos possible there. ...as it goes without saying. ;)