PDA

View Full Version : Apo Componon HM and shutter possible?

redu
22-Jul-2011, 02:58
Would a 150mm f4 APO Componon HM fit in a shutter? For macro work...

Arne Croell
22-Jul-2011, 03:19
Would a 150mm f4 APO Componon HM fit in a shutter? For macro work...

The Apo-Componon 150mm comes in Schneiders "BL 1a" barrel body, which I think is compatible with a size 1 shutter. I can check tonight.

Arne Croell
22-Jul-2011, 12:14
I just checked - it is a direct fit into a size 1 shutter, including the spacing (at least within the accuracy of my calipers).

redu
22-Jul-2011, 12:58
Very good news then..! It should make a very good macro lens. Thanks for your time.

Steve Goldstein
22-Jul-2011, 13:19
Arne, is the spacing to the aperture blades correct? I've heard that this is important, but don't know enough about lens design to understand why.

Arne Croell
22-Jul-2011, 13:58
Arne, is the spacing to the aperture blades correct? I've heard that this is important, but don't know enough about lens design to understand why.
First, the position of the aperture affects distortion, but not sharpness or MTF. I do not have a real depth gauge handy, but using the caliper hand-held, if there is a difference at all, it is less than 0.5mm.

redu
22-Jul-2011, 15:05
Arne could you tell for what magnification ratio range this lens is at it's best? Such as 2:1 to 1:2 for instance... is there any real info somewhere?

paulr
22-Jul-2011, 18:25
according to schneider they're optimized for 1:10.
I never once made an enlargement that big with mine, but did get the impression that the lens showed more of its strengths making bigger enlargements.

Joseph O'Neil
23-Jul-2011, 07:36
Not that lens, but I have an 180mm APO Componon f5.6 enlarging lens that was professionaly mounted in a shutter for me, and it works great. Although I read somewhere that as an enlarging lens it was optimized for close focus and/or a certian ratio (just like a lot of repro lenses are or were), you wanna know something, it's pretty good.

All of my mounted enlarging and/or repro lenses - you want to shoot at infinity? You just stop them down to say F22 or better, and presto, you are off to the races.

The main problem I find is proper spacing of the front and rear cells/elements in your shutter. That has to be right on exact, and is why I had mine professionally done. But once you get that done right, it's amazing how good some of these lens turn out to be, regardless of what they are "optimized" for.

joe

Arne Croell
24-Jul-2011, 10:48
Arne could you tell for what magnification ratio range this lens is at it's best? Such as 2:1 to 1:2 for instance... is there any real info somewhere?

The MTF curves for enlargements of 20:1, 8:1, and 3:1 are here: https://www.schneideroptics.com/pdfs/photo/datasheets/apo-componon/apo-componon_40_150_2.pdf
For use as taking lens in a shutter, this would be for 1: 20, 1:8, and 1:3. Unfortunately, turning the cells around does not work in a size 1 shutter, since the front and back threads are different, so for magnifications larger than 1:1 this might not be the ideal solution.