PDA

View Full Version : EpsonScan with OSX 10.7?

SocalAstro
21-Jul-2011, 11:41
After upgrading to OSX 10.7 EpsonScan software for my V700 scanner no longer works. It is a universal binary and should work but it doesnt.

Anyone elese have the same experience or workaround? I may just have to bit the bullet and get VueScan but the epson software worked just fine for me.

-Leon

Ken Lee
21-Jul-2011, 11:56
The last time that OS X was upgraded, it took a while for Epson to release compatible drivers - for printers as well as scanners. Other critical photo-related software lagged behind too - like those used for monitor calibration. Many of us learned our lesson the hard way.

One sure workaround is to revert to the previous version of OS X. That might require a complete re-install, so backing up all your important files is vital.

To those who haven't yet upgraded: It may be wise to resist any temptation to upgrade OS X, until important drivers become available.

To their credit, the people who make Color Eyes Display Pro (http://www.integrated-color.com/osxlion.html) have put a notice on their web site about OS X Lion:

"Recommended action

Keep your current and supported Mac OS X version. If you must upgrade to Lion, we recommend setting up a another partition or hard drive on your Mac for Lion. Keep your Snow Leopard system to preserve your existing workflow and installations."

Leigh
21-Jul-2011, 12:22
To those who haven't yet upgraded: It may be wise to resist any temptation to upgrade OS X, until important drivers become available.
I never upgrade a major OS changhe until at least the x.1 release. There are just too many things that can go wrong.

Drivers written for earlier versions may not work right, sometimes in very subtle ways.

- Leigh

Ben Hopson
21-Jul-2011, 12:23
Have you verified that the scanner shows up in the System Preferences list as being installed? The Epson Support page has suggestions for Lion, but if the problem is a lack of a compatible driver, it may not be of much help.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supportLionDetails.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=66172#stage1

SocalAstro
21-Jul-2011, 13:04
Its not a driver issue. The software they supply for scanning doesnt not work under Lion. I downloaded the trial version of VueScan and it works, I just dont want to pay $80 to be able to use the scanner under the new OS.

I did download the latest drive/software package from Epson and EpsonScan is still not working.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

-Leon

Ken Lee
21-Jul-2011, 13:21
Its not a driver issue. The software they supply for scanning doesnt not work under Lion.
-Leon

The software they supply for scanning, is what is mean by the word "drivers". The two terms are interchangeable.

Greg Blank
21-Jul-2011, 13:38
I'll eventually do Lion, but I always wait a least six months. For the very reasons you are having.

Eventually you are upgraded into the purchase of a new computer and or expensive software. Like it or not.

Bob McCarthy
21-Jul-2011, 19:01
After upgrading to OSX 10.7 EpsonScan software for my V700 scanner no longer works. It is a universal binary and should work but it doesnt.

Anyone elese have the same experience or workaround? I may just have to bit the bullet and get VueScan but the epson software worked just fine for me.

-Leon

Apple finally dumped Rosetta, I suspect it may impact some devices who do the minimum necessary to support an os upgrade.

B

SocalAstro
21-Jul-2011, 19:22
Got it to work now, thanks. Lion kicks ass BTW.

-Leon

Bob McCarthy
21-Jul-2011, 19:27
I'd be interested to know how photoshop behaves and Epson printers too.

Bob

SocalAstro
21-Jul-2011, 19:56
I'd be interested to know how photoshop behaves and Epson printers too.

Bob

PS CS4 works just fine here, and my Epson R2400 works without any issues. I'm happy with my upgrade.

-Leon

Bob McCarthy
21-Jul-2011, 21:25
Sorry, should have been more precise

Cs5

Epson 3880 and 7600 (already an issue)

But I suspect you still accurately answered the question for me

Bob

PS CS4 works just fine here, and my Epson R2400 works without any issues. I'm happy with my upgrade.

-Leon

Mazin
22-Jul-2011, 06:08
Hello, I've noticed the same problem after upgrading to OSX 1.7 Lion, then i used Image Capture instead and now I can use my Epson Scanner. Just try it.

Mazin