PDA

View Full Version : Zero point marks

Leo Salazar
20-Jul-2011, 11:27
Hello,

Coming from a Sinar that has plenty of control markings I wonder if users of field cameras miss zero point marks in their cameras for faster and more precise setups.

I would think the lens/front standard zero point in relation to film center should be good to have.

I am decided on a Chamonix as my soon to get field camera, but would like to hear your comments about this "small" issue.

Thanks to all !

Leo

domaz
20-Jul-2011, 12:40
If your shooting in the field you can use a compass with an clinometer to get the tilts to zero. You can also use it to get the swings back to zero. Fast no? But very accurate this way.

Frank Petronio
20-Jul-2011, 14:13
Just put a hash mark using your Sharpie marker on your $5000 Ebony... their design oversight problem solved ;-p

ic-racer
20-Jul-2011, 14:34
One problem with permanent marks from the factory is that they are not adjustable :)

Brian Ellis
20-Jul-2011, 16:02
Never really thought about it so I guess I didn't miss center marks on the cameras that didn't have them (some field cameras, such as Tachiharas, have marked center points, others such as Technikas with no front fall don't need a center mark).

Doremus Scudder
20-Jul-2011, 16:55
All three of my current wooden field cameras have lock/detents to position the back and lens standard at zero position. There are also marks/dots/detents to position the lens rise and fall and shifts at center. Swings are centered by aligning them with other parts on the camera or with alignment marks. My cameras also have levels (albeit two of them installed by me) to aid in setting up the camera.

I don't think your new Chamonix will lack these basic features. Furthermore, focus on the ground glass is the final determiner of the orientation of lens standard and back, and a gridded ground glass (mounted correctly!) is the final arbiter of parallel lines in your images.

I have also, as Frank has, added some marks with my Sharpie to be better able to quickly set up the camera to "zero position" without walking around to the front. If the camera you end up with does not have zero alignment marks, you can always add them. I've also added millimeter scales to the camera bed to aid in focusing, something you can also do if needed.

In the end, you should really not have a problem.

Best,

Doremus Scudder

Leo Salazar
20-Jul-2011, 18:24
Many thanks to all !

Frank, Doremus, love your work !

Leo

TheDeardorffGuy
22-Jul-2011, 10:36
Zero Point Marks?????

What is the Ground glass for? Three Horizontal lines and three vertical lines is all you need. Oh and a good set of eyes to focus on the glass.

muttering to himself........Zero Point Marks????? sheesh

E. von Hoegh
22-Jul-2011, 11:07
Zero Point Marks?????

What is the Ground glass for? Three Horizontal lines and three vertical lines is all you need. Oh and a good set of eyes to focus on the glass.

muttering to himself........Zero Point Marks????? sheesh

Hey!! I did Frank's Sharpie trick on my V8. Saves fiddling.;)