PDA

View Full Version : soft focus lenses

armentor1@mac.com
20-Jul-2011, 09:16
Is there such a thing as soft focus enlarging lenses. Could I create a sharp negative then in the darkroom add the soft focus qualities to it?

thanks,
dave

Mark Woods
20-Jul-2011, 09:19
You can use the same techniques as you do on the taking lens. The flares you'd get in the hightlights now flare the deep shadows. It's quite interesting and unique.

armentor1@mac.com
20-Jul-2011, 09:42
huh, sounds cool. I'll
soften up a poor enlarging lens with Vaseline and give this a try.
thanks mark -

eddie
20-Jul-2011, 10:13
Is there such a thing as soft focus enlarging lenses. Could I create a sharp negative then in the darkroom add the soft focus qualities to it?

thanks,
dave

yes, they used the Verito for enlarging. they even made special water house stops with a funny cut out. not the usual round hole.

Steven Tribe
20-Jul-2011, 10:39
Voigtländer made the WZ objective just for this pupose.
WZ stands for Weichzeichner. Softness was adjusted using the iris.
Only one size 18cm.
Unfortunately this is very pricey item these days as it has been used as a taking lens.
It is a double symmetrical meniscus, unless I have misunderstood Voigtländer's cross sectional diagram. Sold between 1926 and 1934. Negative size was about 4x5-

papah
20-Jul-2011, 15:53
Search ebay for Pictorial Control Variable Soft Focus Lens Attachment.

An inexpensive way to experiment in the darkroom.

Joe Smigiel
21-Jul-2011, 06:56
yes, they used the Verito for enlarging. they even made special water house stops with a funny cut out. not the usual round hole.

I still have a set of Verito stops FS if anyone is interested. Here's the original ad: Verito enlarging stops (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=46330&highlight=verito)

And a pic:

http://my.net-link.net/~jsmigiel/images/FS/Verito_stops.jpg

Mark Woods
21-Jul-2011, 10:04
Instead of Vaseline use KY Jelly (non scented/flavored). It's optically clear, water soluble for easy clean up, while the Vaseline cleans up with alcohol and isn't optically clear.

monkeymon
21-Jul-2011, 11:17
you can get these "pictorial control" thingies from ebay cheap:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pictorial-Control-Variable-Soft-Focus-Lens-Attachment-/320730449288?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aad064588#ht_891wt_1185

Easy to use, and you have some control.... i have one, but only used it ones. If off-course is also usable in the end of a taking lens.

lenser
21-Jul-2011, 12:11
Kodak made a wonderful soft filter for enlarging. It is molded with several crossing lings in the glass. It also happens to fit perfectly into the red filter accessory gizmo for the Omega D series enlargers so you can use it to swing into and out of the light path at will.

jnantz
21-Jul-2011, 12:53
i often use a meniscus lens for an enlarging lens
it works well to soften sharp images

Petzval Paul
21-Jul-2011, 18:01
The Pinkham Synthetic lens was also suggested for enlarging in the smaller FL's.

armentor1@mac.com
22-Jul-2011, 08:17
thanks for all the replies, this has been a great help. I'll try a few of these things in the darkroom and will soon post images.
da-

Adamphotoman
22-Jul-2011, 23:01
I have a Pictorial Control Variable Soft Focus Lens Attachment.
I don't use it anymore. I spent 30 years in the dark er darkroom...
Any softening from a neg will make the shadows grow-won't make the highlights glow.
Still, on portraits it works well. Take a piece of plexi glass with deep cuts in it and wave it around under the enlarger. Maybe for a 10th of the exposure time. You will want to add some contrast as this procedure will also flatten the image. The pictorial device will also flatten the image. If you simply blow hot wet breath onto the lens just prior to a say 30 second exposure the vapour will dissipate and the last 1/3 exposure will imprint a sharp image over a soft one. Hard to control but doable. B&W made some soft focus filters which you could also use.
If you want the device send me a PM.