PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Germany

megapickle1
19-Jul-2011, 10:59
Hello community, my name is George and I join this forum because I wish to learn large format photography too.
I´m an amateur photographer and mainly shoot with MF-cameras. Some kind of my photographs would need a camera with movements regarding a plain DOF. So I`ve decided to try this technique. Admiring Josef Sudeks (or Jock Sturges, no I´m not a pedo) work and the tonality of his photographs there is a strong wanting to get something equal out of my work.
BTW, I´m no native speaker, so please forgive me mistakes occurring.
Cheers
George

Renato Tonelli
19-Jul-2011, 15:12
Welcome to the forum. Lots of good information in the home page.

Professional
27-Jul-2011, 19:15
Welcome here, George, you will enjoy here and have lots of information to help you!

Andy Eads
27-Jul-2011, 21:34
Welcome, George! This is the best forum on the planet.

megapickle1
25-Sep-2011, 12:53
Hello again! Here are my first LF trials:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/megapickle1/sets/72157627626190965/

Only Polaroid-proofs, crappy scans. I beg for your harsh critics.

George

Peter De Smidt
26-Sep-2011, 12:50
Hi George,

It's a good start. My advice is simply to practice, practice, practice.

Peter

JMB
26-Sep-2011, 12:56
Hello George,

I am setting up a studio in Berlin, so please shoot me a note if you are in the area. I am fairly new to photography, and I rely heavily upon the advice that I have garnered from photographers on this forum. Hence, I am also very anxious to lend whatever resources I have to photographers who have a special appreciation for black and white film photography as one way of expressing my gratitude for all of the help that I have received from forum members. See you soon.

Jay DeFehr
26-Sep-2011, 14:11
Welcome, George! I think the most challenging part of the kind of work you're doing (still life) is not the camera movements, but the lighting. Search Christopher Broadbent for some very fine examples.

megapickle1
27-Sep-2011, 00:24
Hello all! Thank your for your kind welcome.

@JaydeFehr
True, Jay. The lighting is the main problem with still life photographs. My very small living room is my studio and I have to manage all on a 5 square meter spot. I thank you for the hint and the link to Christopher Broadbent. I like his photographs very much I have found here.
@JMB
Thank you for your invitation for a call in Berlin. I´ll certainly do so if I have time enough to visit an artist and friend in Berlin.

megapickle1
27-Sep-2011, 10:02
Hi JaydeFehr!
I visited Mr. Broadbent`s website and had a nice afternoon. I compared my 5 sq.yd. "studio" spot in my living room with Mr. Broadbents 40 sq.yd. workplace. How ridiculous my place is. No possibilities for flash-heads with brollies, soft boxes or screens and a decent backdrop system. I am not envious but really amused about my circumstances. Yes, the right lighting is very important but also the place to set it up.

George

Peter De Smidt
27-Sep-2011, 11:42
Don't get discouraged. You can to a lot of fine work on a small tabletop.

megapickle1
3-Oct-2011, 10:33
Hallo All!
I have just uploaded four photographs (Polaroid-Scans)to my flickr-account that I´ve shot in the afternoon today.
If you are not tired to look on crappy pictures go ahead

www.flickr.com/photos/megapickle1/sets/72157627626190965

RoMFOTO
3-Oct-2011, 11:06
Some nice photos!

Und schöne Grüße und viel Erfolg aus Deutschland :D

megapickle1
4-Oct-2011, 10:47
Thank you Robert for your kind remarks.

Man könnte ja auch mal darüber telefonieren? Wo in Süd-Deutschland bist Du denn zu Hause?

Translation:

Maybe we could make a telefon-call to chat about this topics. Where in Southern Germany are you located?

George

megapickle1
9-Oct-2011, 13:59
Hallo, another three shots of this afternoon are uploaded. I do not show them in the image sharing forum, because the pictures are only pola-proofs.

But you can see them here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/megapickle1/sets/72157627626190965