PDA

View Full Version : Hidden locations in niagara falls

dikaiosune01
18-Jul-2011, 20:07
I'll be heading that way fairly soon. I haven't been there since I was a little little boy. I have a slight idea what and where I will go; but I wanted to hear what you think.

From the sidewalk, i think i can get a nice straight on of the falls.

Niagara Parks Botanical Gardens

Niagara Parkway. A drive down Fort Erie and Niagara-on-the-lake and some other spots along the road.

Niagra River Recrational Trail.

My objectives consist of landscapes and still life.

rdenney
18-Jul-2011, 23:59
The falls themselves are easy to photograph straight-on from the Canadian side. The American side looks long the rim of the falls. The biggest problem is the crowd.

The trail has some nice spots of the Niagara Gorge, including the Whirlpool, but photographs are not easy.

Fort Niagara is one of my favorite spots in that area, but you have to get there early to beat the tour buses if you don't want a hundred tourists in every picture.

Depending on the wind direction, you may need water protection for your camera. Last time I was there, I missed a couple of shots because I was getting rained on by the mist.

You'll find a thousand pictures in the gift shop. Use those as your cliche index. No shortage of cliche opportunities at this spot.

Rick "who was there with a 4x5 camera two years ago and accomplished very little of interest" Denney

Frank Petronio
19-Jul-2011, 04:25
From the American side, you can park at the Devil's Hole parking lot Northbound on the Robert Moses Parkway and walk a few hundred meters North on the trail. Hop over the (broken, disrepaired) fence and find this view, sans the silly fighting girls, who ruin this shot for me (the one was not very convincing, I need to redo it with better models).

At the US Falls, go to Goat Island and walk the perimeter, as close to the Canadian Horseshoe Falls as possible. You can walk right down to the water and dip your toes into the river. I think this has a lot of photo possibilities.

If you take the Maid of the Mist boatride, you get really close to the base, small format cameras in a plastic bag or waterproof cameras only.

The Canadian side is cleaner and more family friendly. Niagara Falls on the US side shows you what 200 years of corruption and graft can do to a dysfunctional city.

Love Canal toxic waste site to the South is a let down but look around, the entire region is pretty much a toxic waste site and cancer cell. Speaking of which, the regional specialties include Chicken Wings and a marinated Roast Beef on a salted Kimmelwick bun. Obesity and heart disease run rampant and finding fresh vegetarian food is nearly impossible.

The giant Stainless Steel pumping structures to the South of the US Falls, along the river, are pretty cool.

To the North, the town of Lewiston, NY, has some quaintness and interesting spots to explore, but Niagara-on-the-Lake is more engaging for Anglophiles, albeit very crowded at peak times.

In general, if you want to impress with your spouse with the glories of the USA, stick to the Canadian side.

dikaiosune01
19-Jul-2011, 05:05
Ill be impressing my better half with the glories of the canadian side only. unfortunately, we dont have enough time to get the visas we need to get into the states.

However, im still very grateful for these suggestions. Im definitely making a mental note to find some time in the future

Sirius Glass
19-Jul-2011, 17:25
Don't forget the Butterfly Zoo on the Canadian side.

See a winter photograph under the Canadian Falls in the Winter on a rare clear day. It displays on the computer correctly, but it is rotated when posted here. :eek: Sorry.

cowanw
19-Jul-2011, 18:13
Frank's second picture may be the Journey Behind the Falls attraction. I don't know if they will tolerate a large format camera but there are nice views behind and beside the falls
http://www.niagarafallstourism.com/getdetails.cgi?80&&1777